PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about different diets for ADHD

JTsMom
10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Can someone just give me a very basic idea of the options and major pros/cons? Thanks!

JBaxter
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Feingold diet -- some children react to food dyes and preservatives ( we do this one)Pro- We eat healthier and MUCH less processed foods Con -- You have to read lables.

cchavez
10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Feingold is the only one I know of for ADHD. There are a ton of special diets for special kids....feingold, GFCF, candida control, low oxalate...that may be it???

jse107
10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I think much of it is a trial basis. Feingold is the most widely known, although research has been mixed regarding its efficacy. It's worth a try, in the sense that you don't have anything to lose by eliminating artificial dyes or additives. It's probably better for everyone! The other thing to try, if you haven't already, is Omega-3 supplements. There is some research now supporting omega-3s as being helpful in decreasing some symptoms of ADHD.

Check out chadd.org for all the latest ADHD news and research. They are a great source of unbiased information.

mytwosons
10-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Forgive me for going slightly OT....I would see a DAN! dr. IME, ADHD is often a symptom of yeast overgrowth. If it's not yeast (a simple urine and stool test) the DAN! dr might be better able to figure out what the culprit is and advise you on the diet that will work for your child.

MamaKath
10-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Feingold! We have seen a change without food dyes in dc's diet.

Elilly
10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Feingold or GFCF. Some believe that ADHD is "autism lite" and that there are similar underlying circumstances between the two...... low zinc levels, need for EFAs, low magnesium etc.