PDA

View Full Version : My kids don't eat lunch. WTD?

blisstwins
10-05-2009, 11:23 PM
My children are in full day preschool for the first time this year (9-2). I know they have snacl at about 10ish which the school provides and it is junk (apple juice and crackers usually) and then they eat at 11:30 or noon. Every single day my laptop lunch box comes home almost full and I make whatever the kids ask for so it is not like I am sending stuff they don't like. They usually say they don't have enough time to eat. FWIW, their friends are also not really eating lunch. Everyone seems to sit down at the playground after school to snack out of their lunch boxes then. Should I care? I am starting to feel not-so-inspired about making kunch because of this. I would love to fuss about the snack, but my kids go to a poor school with some of the kindest teachers and administrators ever. I figure my kids eat so well outside of that snack it is pointless to fuss about. Do you think they will get better about eating as they get more used to eating in school or do you think the snack and timing will prevent that? WOuld you say or do anything?

KpbS
10-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Last year I let our teachers know that DS1 needed some encouragement to finish (ie eat!) his lunch. They were really good to give the slow-poke kiddos extra time to finish. I doubt it would hurt to ask your teachers if they could help. Also I think that eating lunch at 12 following a mid-morning snack is very different than starting lunch at 11:30. Perhaps they can eat their lunch after pick-up at 2 pm? I imagine they would be ravenous then and still hungry for dinner later.

GL

blisstwins
10-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I imagine they would be ravenous then and still hungry for dinner later.

This is exactly the situation. I just wonder if they are forming bad habits by not eating in school at an appropriate lunch time. KWIM?

cmo
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Perhaps they would consider moving snack time earlier, or switching the two and having an earlier lunch and a late snack time?

hillview
10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I think it will get better. My guess is first few weeks of school are so interesting they forget to eat. DS was like that last week WHOLE lunchbox coming home and then eating his lunch in the car at 3!! This week it looks like he is eating more/all. If it isn't better in another week or so, I'd maybe ask the teacher for suggestions :)
/hillary

hardysmom
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Kids self-regulate pretty well.

They'll eat more for dinner or they will start eating lunch when things settle.

One of my twins eats a good breakfast, but barely touches lunch. The other eats lunch, not dinner. As long as they are growing, it will work itself out.

Stephanie

Katigre
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
DS never eats much at preschool, he's to distracted I think. I just have him eat whatever is left in his lunchbox the rest of the afternoon for his snack whenever he's hungry.

lil_acorn
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd simplify his lunch to some basics - maybe just 1/2 PBJ and 1/2 piece of fruit? Or if they don't allow sandwiches, maybe just ham rollups, cheese stick, and some fruit or yogurt? I noticed my DS wasn't finishing his meals when he started K. I think it's becuase they don't have the consant reminders to eat, x amount of time left etc. I started packing much less and he is finishing it now rather than wasting all that food.

hillview
10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I'd simplify his lunch to some basics - maybe just 1/2 PBJ and 1/2 piece of fruit? Or if they don't allow sandwiches, maybe just ham rollups, cheese stick, and some fruit or yogurt? I noticed my DS wasn't finishing his meals when he started K. I think it's becuase they don't have the consant reminders to eat, x amount of time left etc. I started packing much less and he is finishing it now rather than wasting all that food.

Oh and I totally agree with that. I started packing fruit, 1/2 sandwhich and some tomatoes with milk and no more wasted food (mostly).
/hillary

egoldber
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I think it will get better. My guess is first few weeks of school are so interesting they forget to eat.

Yeah, this is pretty normal. Amy's school provides morning and afternoon snack. We pack lunch. We get a note home everyday indicating at each meal how much she ate....a little, some, or all. Most days she eats all of both snacks and only "some" of lunch. Lovely.

sunriseiz
10-07-2009, 11:26 AM
DS never eats much at preschool, he's to distracted I think. I just have him eat whatever is left in his lunchbox the rest of the afternoon for his snack whenever he's hungry.

Ditto. I am also trying not to pack too much. It's a challenge!