PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch now...or wait for something better?

sarahsthreads
10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry this is long and rambling!

So I was thinking of treating myself to a *very* early birthday present because I can't keep my schedule straight in my head anymore now that DD1 is in full time school. Long ago, in another lifetime, I had a Palm and used it daily. I've since tried paper planners and they just don't work for me. I really do need to start carrying my schedule with me - I seem to be the only person in the world who has to go home and look at the calendar when asked if I can do something or meet someone somewhere on a particular day. Plus I've forgotten a few important-ish things recently.

I really like the size and interface of the iPod Touch. But I'm worried it's going to wind up being a $200 pocket planner, because it doesn't have the camera and internet the iPhone does. There was a rumor that the most current release of the iPod Touch would have a camera, but then they didn't. And the next new ones won't come out until January-ish. I'm not even convinced that the camera would be worth it anyway...my first love is my dSLR, and I've *never* used the phone feature on my camera because it's truly awful. Someone talk me into (or out of) this, please?!? Tell me what you love about your iPod Touch that makes it worth taking the plunge now!

Thanks!
Sarah :)

TwinFoxes
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
You can use the Internet with the iPod Touch. You just need wifi. I didn't know it didn't have a camera (I have the iPhone).

BillK
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
a website recently did a tear-down of the new iTouch - and it is definitely set up to HAVE a camera in it - it just didn't make it this generation. I'd guess it will most definitely have it for the next release.

http://gizmodo.com/5357667/new-ipod-touch-teardown-reveals-80211n-fm-transmission-hardware-plus-room-for-nano-camera

I'm actually surprised at what decent pics my iPhone takes. For a phone they're not half bad. I'd guess once they get one in the iTouch it'll be similar.

Jacksmommy2b
10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I love my ipod touch!

I got mine fore xmas last year and really only wanted a small regular ipod for music and I am so glad hubby bought the touch anyway.

The music features are great, the internet availability can be super useful in a pinch, the schedule feature is fabulous - but - the thing is worth it's weight in gold with the toddler applications. The ipod has saved us at the DVM, restuarants and long car trips. You can download tons of little kid apps - a bunch of them free and also episodes of kids shows like wordworld.

I obviously don't have a camera on mine, but it isn't a feature I really miss. I have a decent camera on my phone that I rarely ever use and I carry my regular camera if I plan on taking pics.

Not sure if you are considering it - but a good friend has an iphone and I am glad to have the ipod touch over it. Not only do you have to pay for a data plan for the iphone (if you plan on using it or not), but I also will pass my ipod to J in the back seat when he is sick of being in the car and I would hate to A) give up my phone or the ability to use my phone because he has it and B) you can access the internet and youtube anywhere, anytime if you have the data plan and I wouldn't want him accessing either without supervision.

(and yes, before you ask I don't doubt for a second he could figure it out. :) He already had to show DH and I how to delete apps because we couln't figure it out.)

I really can't say enough about it. Also, there was a thread a while ago about refurbished products direct from Apple that are cheaper and come with the same warranty as a new product. I wish I had known about it then as i would not hesitate to buy refurbished under those conditions. Maybe paying less would make the gamble more worth it for you?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=Nzc1MjQ2Mg

They have a certified refurbished 8GB for $139.

ellies mom
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I just got the iTouch for school. My birthday was right before the current release so we waited to see what they were going to do. I love it.

The lack of camera doesn't bother me because I can put pictures of the kids on there and I still have my phone if I need to take a picture of something while I'm out but like you I prefer my regular cameras.

I have a shopping list program on there. I love the ease of syncing google calenders (we have 6-7 calenders that we share). There are apps for just about everything. I keep several kids games on there so I can just hand it to the oldest if I need to entertain her for while. OK, I have several games on there for myself too. I also have a document reader that syncs word files (I think excel files are read only). That is nice because I can keep the modules for school on there so I don't have to carry my binder to know what I need to read or the learning objectives. I even have a knitting app that keeps track of my needles, yarn and projects.

Plus, a lot of places do have wi-fi so you can use the internet feature.

sarahsthreads
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I even have a knitting app that keeps track of my needles, yarn and projects.

Alright, I'm sold! :)

Plus if there's wifi available I can be on Ravelry with it, too... I am never going to get anything productive done again. I can just queue things up in Ravelry and read about other people's knitting projects instead of knitting.

Thank you all for the advice. I wasn't going the iPhone route for a lot of reasons, but I hadn't even thought about my older DD being able to use the phone/internet features in the backseat of the car, so add that to my list of reasons not to get an iPhone. And no matter how good the camera winds up being, it's still on the level of a cell phone camera, right? So I'd still probably be carrying a better camera with me anyway. iPod Touch it is, then!

Sarah :)