PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that color your own hair

happy2bamom
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
What is the best hair color product? Also, how did you find the color that works best for you?

I've always had my hair colored and highlighted (and low lights) done professionally. I just can't afford to keep up with it, if I can find a cheaper alternative that looks good. Getting my hair colored every 6 weeks professionally is killing our budget! Please point me in the right direction.

FYI, not sure if it matters but my natural hair color (I think) is a dirty blonde to light brown color. I do like having blonde highlights, but I don't want to be full out blonde (b/c it seems like even more applications would be needed to maintain that color)

TIA

sste
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't do perm color but semi-perm. LOVE clairol natural instincts. In fact, like it more than the professional highlights I used to get. My hairdresser (rated one of the top in my city) is taking philosophy coursework and has decided that professionally coloring hair is immoral (too expensive for women, myth of beauty, time taken with monthly appts)!! Anyway, he advised me on what to use - - semi perm color which improves the texture of your hair unlike perm color, he suggested neutral shades to avoid brassiness and because I am pretty pale, and he said to go lighter than what you would think - - it always comes out darker than the picture on the box.

Clairol natural instincts does wash out in a few months but I don't think it matters since with perm you are doing 6 week touch ups anyway. Also, it is literally mix two bottles together and smoosh it all over your head - - super easy. I have alot of grey and even the lighter blonde shades covered about 90%; more brown covered all. Also, if you don't like the color you aren't stuck growing it out for years. Try clairol natural instincts champagne glow (light brown) or medium blonde (I believe its lighter, its the next one I am going to try).

mjmamma
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I color every 6-8 weeks and really like Loreal Preference which is consistently voted 'Best of' in those beauty magazine polls and I have heard Clairol was very good. I think it's really easy to do though I use a dark shade. It does save a TON of money. I would go with a permanent because even they lighten up quickly Also, bbe sure to use a shampoo for 'color' treated hair or dandruff to maintain your color longer. Have fun with it!

ehmom
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
this post is great for me, too! i am in my early 30s, but i started getting grey hair in my teens. lately it has gotten out of control. i tried getting it colored at a salon and it was $150!! there is no way i would even want to try to justify that expense every 2 months. i have very dark brown hair. any suggestions on what i should use to cover grey? i don't need them all covered, just fewer greys.

mjmamma
10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
this post is great for me, too! i am in my early 30s, but i started getting grey hair in my teens. lately it has gotten out of control. i tried getting it colored at a salon and it was $150!! there is no way i would even want to try to justify that expense every 2 months. i have very dark brown hair. any suggestions on what i should use to cover grey? i don't need them all covered, just fewer greys.

I'm in the same boat. I use L'Oreal Preference, Dark Brown (that's the full name) and even my hairdresser thinks the color is pretty good. It's dark but not too dark. Color right after you get a haircut...you use less dye :)

tmphilo
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I would go to Sally's Beauty Supply if you have one nearby. It's much cheaper to buy hair dye there and mix your own than buy the premixed store kind. I've been dying my hair for several years this way. Normally the employees there are in the hair field and can help you with figuring out the color that you are looking for. I currently use the Ion creme kind but have also used Wella (I use the permanent color). It's pretty easy once you find your color. My hair is darker than yours, but I mix two colors together - I went a shade lighter this summer by mixing light golden brown with dark blonde. My hair is more of a medium to light brown with golden undertones naturally.

In addition to buying the color, you have to get a developer and I use a squirt bottle to mix everything and apply to my hair. The developer goes a long way, and I figure if I dye my whole head each time (which I normally only do every 3 times - roots only the others) it roughly costs about $3-4 each time. Hope this helps!

lizzywednesday
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
When I colored my own hair, I swore by Garnier because it's the least foul-smelling of the at-home kits I've tried since I was 16. (It still stinks a bit, mind you, but the fruit oils you add to the dye/developer bottle improve the stench a bit. Also, I like their after-color conditioner A LOT. If they sold it separately, I'd buy cases of it.)

As for cheapest, well, a PP was correct - get the dye & all your materials from Sally and do it that way. If you don't think you have the patience for that, however, the kit is the way to go!!!

ehmom
10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
i so want to try this, but i am so afraid it will somehow look horrible. i did the l'oreal color selector and it told me to try a natural black color. i know halloween is around the corner, but i really don't want to look like a witch :)

HIU8
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I use a demi-permanent color by wella called color charm. You have to mix it with activator before you apply it. I usually do my hair every 8 weeks. I get the supplies from Sally's (hair color, activator, applicator bottle, cap for my head and gloves. The color and activator costs me roughly $8 each 8 weeks.

I went to Sally's and literally used their samples to match my hair color and I really like how it turns out. Even my hair dresser (who I have been going to for about 15 years and who understands that I simply can no longer afford to have it professionally done, says that I do a good job). Of course, I don't do highlights etc... b/c I'm not trained to know how to do that, but at least I can cover the grey with a color that is close to my own. The plus is that this particular demi-permanent product has a good conditioner built into it. My hair has never gotten brittle or broken off.

mjmamma
10-06-2009, 01:32 PM
As far as cost..there are always coupons in the weekly flyers for $2-$3 off L'Oreal which brings my cost down to $5.99-$6.99 when purchased at Target ($8.99 original price).

fivi2
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I use L'Oreal Preference. I go pretty light. I have found that using the "ash" shades keep me from getting too brassy, but of course ymmv. I don't know how often I do it - when the roots get so bad I can't stand it anymore. (I keep thinking I will grow it out, but then I can't deal with the roots).

I don't think it looks bad, and I get compliments. However, I wish I had never started. I do feel like it is damaging my hair over time (it has been several years). I have talked to salon stylists and it seems that it will be a difficult (and expensive) process to fix even using them. I tried matching my natural color once myself using L'Oreal - bad bad bad.

So - I like L'oreal, but wish I had never done it!

Mikey0709
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Another vote for Sally's - - i buy the Wella gel color and developer there. At first thought it was complicated - but no more than buying a box. Actually a stylist recommended I do this - said that the professional products are MUCH less harmful to your hair than the box kits. I found this true - since i switched my hair is the best condition EVER... and i have been going from brown to blonde for 20+ years now... and it looks VERY natural.

ohiomom1121
10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
My hair sounds very similar to yours in color...when I get it done I have permanent color on my roots to cover the grey and some highlights, and occasionally lowlights. ugh. One thing I know from many years of coloring my hair is definitely don't buy a permanent ash color to put over your highlights. It can turn green. Yep, I had lovely green streaks before. I'm thinking of doing it myself for the winter (maybe going back to red...used to do this every year to get my hair healthy) and then when I'm ready to highlight again going back to the pros. The absolute best hair color I've found is Redken Shades EQ. (You'd have to order on ebay) It's a demi permanent and is really wonderful and conditioning. I'm intrigued by Wella though...wonder how it compares? It would be nice to be able to get it at Sally's.

cchavez
10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
my gray is only around my temples....is there something I can use just for this area? thanks!

heatherandlouis
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
L'Oreal makes a great kit that has both the base color and highlights. I have used this system a lot and it is easy and the color looks great. My husband has become quite the colorist :)

maylips
10-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I thought about this thread today when I wrote a check for $95 for my highlights/lowlights!

I'd LOOOOVE to do this but am completely frightened of at-home kits. This stems from a particularly bad childhood of my mom being too cheap to take me to a salon and a series of at-home perms that made me look like a freak.

I have issues.

That being said, oh, how I'd like to save $95. My hair is also cut really short (think Halle Berryish) so I have to get color often since it gets cut out very quickly.