PDA

View Full Version : Does the paint on your Klean Kanteen chip/peel?

MommyAllison
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Trying to decide between regular stainless or painted, and wondering if the paint chips or peels significantly? Only a few reviews mentioned the problem. Thanks!

Melaine
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, our's have chipped. I emailed KK and they CALLED me a couple hours later (yeah, I almost dropped the phone). They told me the colored ones shouldn't be washed in the dishwasher but the paint is totally non-toxic so it's not really a safety issue. I had been washing them in the dishwasher so I assume that is probably why they chipped. Plus the girls throw and drop them a lot. All that to say, if I had to do it again I'd get the plain SS which hold up appearance wise a little better (we have 9 KKs total). We use soda can/beer cozies to differentiate and insulate our KKs.

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
No chips and we wash the painted ones in the DW all the time -- that is what I love about KKs, they can go in the DW.

LOVE them. LOVE LOVE LOVE them! :)

Mikey0709
10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
I have the ones that look like forest green - and they haven't chipped, but do have quite a few scratches... i probably should have gone with stainless... my kids are too rough with them.

crl
10-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, ours have totally chipped. I do wash them in the dishwasher. I will probably only get the plain silver from now on.

Catherine

MommyAllison
10-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hmmm...this is all good to know. We have several of the plain stainless bottles for DH, DD & I right now, but DH is constantly stealing mine, so I was going to get a couple more for him. Since he doesn't like to use the NY sleeves, I thought color would be fun - but we always wash in the dishwasher. DS needs one too, and I was thinking of getting blue for him and a pink one for DD, but I do use the NY sleeves on theirs and DD would probably flip out if I tried to cover up the pink...

Probably best to stick with plain stainless though. Hand washing dishes is my most hated chore!

Karenn
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
My colored ones totally chipped within a few uses. I do put them in the dishwasher. DS left his at his soccer game last week and I'm planning on replacing it with stainless steel if he'll let me get away with it.

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Do you ladies use the dry cycle in the d/w? I'm wondering if that is it. Because none of ours are chipped with regular use over nearly 2 years. I don't use the dry cycle of the d/w though.

vludmilla
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, our paint has worn away on the bottom a bit or scratched in some places. We hand wash all of ours.

Alice523
10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Our KK's paint has chipped off the bottom significantly, but not on the side. We've had it for 18 months and have never put it in the dishwasher, but my DSs drop them on the cement, bang them around, etc. We just bought a new red one for DS2 and it's not chipped or damaged yet, but I'm sure it will be. It doesn't really bother me - I still think the colors are much more fun than the plain.

Katigre
10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
We've had DS's blue KK for a year now and it is used daily in and outside the home. It's never been washed in the dishwasher.

The paint is scratched just on the bottom where it would rest on a table. Otherwise it's in great shape. The small bit of scratching is a fine trade-off for nicer appearance than the plain SS (we also have that for mine and DH's water bottles). I like how the painted ones feel in the hand better too - they're smoother.