PDA

View Full Version : Convertible car seat for plane travel (and/or zipcars)

eggnova
10-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm flying Southwest next weekend for a short flight, about 70 minutes, and we're bringing my 15 month old. This will be the first time we're flying with her convertible car seat. We've had it easy on past trips because her Peg Perego infant carrier (up to 30 lbs/30inches) was easy to travel with - snapped it into the P3 for the airport, gate checked the P3, and we were able to use the seat without the base on the plane, and then again without the base in the car at our destination. But around 12 months she finally outgrew the infant carrier by length and we got a Britax Boulevard. I think I'll be able to borrow one of those doo-hickeys that you can strap the seat to in order to wheel it around the airport - but should I also consider investing in a second seat for travel? The Boulevard seems huge, even if we can wheel it, and I also don't want to gate check it if we don't get a seat and have it be tossed around the cargo hold if it's our primary car seat for home. I can check it up front for free on SW - is that safer? If you would buy a second seat - what would it be? I've heard two recommendations - the Cosco Scenara because it's well rated for the price - and the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80 because it folds. Any other suggestions, or pluses/minuses on these two?

Here's some information about us:
DD - 15 months, 25 lbs, 30 inches
Just turned her FF in the Boulevard because she ran out of legroom RF.
We take short flights 4-5x per year and expect to travel more often in the next year or two with 1-2 longer flights (2-6 hours) per year.

As a side note - I also have a need a few times per year, maybe more, to put the seat in a zipcar (which is a car share car, like a rental car that you pick up from a central spot in your neighborhood.) In those cases I'd be walking and carrying the seat anywhere from 2-6 blocks away to pick up the car - is there a 2nd car seat option which is ideal for this situation? And is it the same seat you'd recommend for plane travel/car travel at your destination?

Joolsplus2
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Just so you know, there's no such thing as running out of legroom rearfacing, until maybe age 3 in a small sedan. But under age two, kids are at *significant* risk of head and neck injury from forward facing. If you have her seat properly installed, used, and top tethered, then that's not terrible, but most people just don't know that rearfacing is at least 5 times safer than forward facing, and I'd be remiss by not mentioning it. :)

Here's an article.. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/story?id=7818004&page=1&page=1

Combi Cocorro and Flash stroller might be a pretty cool travel solution :)

o_mom
10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I would look at the Safety1st Uptown. It is slightly more expensive than the Scenera ($80 vs. $50), but for the price you get a taller seat with taller top harness slots. It also has EPP foam around the head area for increased protection. It is very lightweight so you can even hang it from the stroller handle. I would always gate check the seat if you do not buy a seat on the plane - it is more likely to make it to your destination and if there is an empty seat you can bring it on the plane.

I would strongly encourage you to turn your DD back rear-facing. Forward-facing at that age puts her at five times the risk of serious injury or death in a crash. The AAP recommends keeping kids rear-facing as long as possible, but at least to their second birthday. Babies are very bendy and legroom is not an issue for them. You can look here (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx) at pictures of much older kids rear-facing and see that they can be very happy with their legs crossed, over the sides or even straight up. This page (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx) has more info on why rear-facing is the safest and links to crash test footage which illustrates the difference.

AnnieW625
10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I would look at a lighter travel seat like the ones O Mom suggested. We had an Evenflo Triumph 5 and it was much easier to travel with than our Britax Marathon (same weight/height as a BLVD), however they no longer make that seat, but there was nothing easier than traveling with a light seat, esp. on the airplane.

We didn't know any better and FFaced DD from 12 mos. on, but when we have another based on what I've read here we'll reface #2 longer, probably until 2 to start with.

Also check out this seat, and post, Evenflo Tribute 5
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=337104

eggnova
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info, I am aware of the benefits of RF beyond 1 year of age, and I also discussed it at length with the car seat safety tech who helped me install the Boulevard FF (with the tether.) I had planned to keep her RF until she reached the height limit for the seat, but I've made the decision now (at 15 months) with eyes wide open to turn FF - I just don't know where she would put her legs anymore and car rides had become torturous for both of us - she was always happy to ride in the car until her feet started to touch the seat back and then it was constant crying. It's funny too, because my daughter is "low tone" which makes her even more "bendy" than your average kid - but she can't seem to keep her legs crossed or "froggy style" for very long. I'm not opposed to switching it back RF in a different seat if I can make it somehow more comfortable for her. Where are the kiddos legs in all those pictures?!?!? =)

Thanks for the suggestion of the Combi Cocorro and Flash stroller - I'm going to go check that out now!

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe you had the seat too reclined for her RFg? I would try a more upright install RFg given her age.

GL!

arivecchi
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I like the Cosco Scenera for travel. Super light and narrow and comes in a plastic travel bag.

Just as an FYI, I am turning my almost 3 year old back around and he is 40 inches tall. He loves to rear face and just bends his legs froggy style or puts his feet up on the seat back.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

eggnova
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Maybe you had the seat too reclined for her RFg? I would try a more upright install RFg given her age.

GL!

Thanks - I thought the Boulevard HAD to be reclined all the way back for a RF install? I'll re-read my manual and try that - we're in a loaner car at the moment anyway so I have to put it back in our regular car later this week anyway.

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Even when the seat is in recline mode, you can still adjust the angle of the recline just by how you install it. 45 degrees is for newborns and younger babies. After age 6-8m, I start using less recline. My 2.5 yo who I just turned FFg in late August was in her MA pretty darn upright at the end, even though the seat was still on its reclined setting.

FTR, I would have kept her RFg longer, but I'm in Canada and the MAs are only good to RF to 30lbs here. I could have purchased new seats for her (b/c we have other seats that RF to higher weights), but made a judgement call that both our vehicles have a full compliment of airbags and high safety ratings.

Joolsplus2
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Nah, it does have to be in the mechanical recline (grab the handle in the base and it clicks back), but it doesn't have to be all leaning back like that line on the sticker on the side shows, it can be more upright.
Click the link in my siggy, there's a whole album of RF kids to see, including her big sister Sarah RF to 4 http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kids go through some really rough times in that 12-18 months time, when they'd simply just rather be up running around rather than strapped in. But riding in the car is really just a 'you do what mommy says, period' experience, and mommy puts up with the tantrums that may follow (like when kids want to run in the street or play with scissors...it's not ok, so we don't allow it, right? no matter how unhappy they seem to be in the short term).

I'm glad it's top tethered, though, and side impacts are the most deadly, so the BV is a good choice :)

eggnova
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Nah, it does have to be in the mechanical recline (grab the handle in the base and it clicks back), but it doesn't have to be all leaning back like that line on the sticker on the side shows, it can be more upright.
Click the link in my siggy, there's a whole album of RF kids to see, including her big sister Sarah RF to 4 http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Kids go through some really rough times in that 12-18 months time, when they'd simply just rather be up running around rather than strapped in. But riding in the car is really just a 'you do what mommy says, period' experience, and mommy puts up with the tantrums that may follow (like when kids want to run in the street or play with scissors...it's not ok, so we don't allow it, right? no matter how unhappy they seem to be in the short term).

I'm glad it's top tethered, though, and side impacts are the most deadly, so the BV is a good choice :)

Thanks - this is good info - I'll tinker with the angle of the seat when I re-install and try again RF.

Now, in terms of the Cosco Scenara - does the travel bag come with all of the models? I didn't see it listed as a "feature" in any online descriptions. But that is definitely a nice-to-have.

AnnieW625
10-06-2009, 03:00 PM
FWIW, my now 3/1/2 year old who loves her Frontiers hated the Marathon from 12 mos. to 2/1/2 years. I wish I would've tried rear facing again, but I know what you mean about being at a wits end with the toddler in the car seat. Once she hit 2/1/2 it finally all stopped. DD never once complained about the Triumph 5 she was also ffing in for the same amount of time; that whole experience made me really dislike my Marathon more than most people. Moral of the story it will all get better some day and on a bright note you made it RFing longer than most of the people in the USA so don't feel bad if you can't make her happy RFing for a while.:)

Joolsplus2
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I think Sceneras only come in this clear plastic bag now, and they call it a travel bag. They just stack them up in their bags at Walmart/Target/Babies R Us. The Evenflo Tribute comes in a similar plastic bag, too, and it's a good light choice that may be even a touch easier to install in more cars and has EPS foam for head protection.:thumbsup:

arivecchi
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks - this is good info - I'll tinker with the angle of the seat when I re-install and try again RF.

Now, in terms of the Cosco Scenara - does the travel bag come with all of the models? I didn't see it listed as a "feature" in any online descriptions. But that is definitely a nice-to-have.
No. You have to get it at a Target, Kmart, Sears or Walmart store to get the bag. If you order online, it will come in a box. :(

ckelly
10-07-2009, 10:56 PM
We are flying in a week and a half (20 hour trip!). DD is almost identical to you! 15 months, 22.5 lbs and 30" tall. We got the Evenflo tribute V and I really am impressed by it. I also purchased a luggage cart from Kmart and used the "latch" straps and top tether to anchor it to the cart...works so well and dd can ride in it through the airport. Also is very easy to install. Yet to fly with it but really like it so far. HTH

Joolsplus2
10-08-2009, 07:51 AM
No. You have to get it at a Target, Kmart, Sears or Walmart store to get the bag. If you order online, it will come in a box. :(
D'oh! Thanks! I hadn't even thought of ordering one of those online, but that makes sense:thumbsup:

arivecchi
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
D'oh! Thanks! I hadn't even thought of ordering one of those online, but that makes sense:thumbsup: Yep. I learned the hard way. :wink2:

Pepper
10-09-2009, 07:48 PM
A quick note - in case you aren't able to borrow the "do-hickey" to strap the carseat to, a heavy-duty luggage cart works really well. I got one from Target that is rated to carry 150 lbs. I attach my Graco Nautilus to it with bungee cords and my 3-year-old thinks it's great fun. I can steer the cart with one hand. It helps to hang a carry-on bag on the luggage cart too, to counterbalance when my son is riding along (I usually travel alone). Check out carseat.org for more advice on traveling and carseats. Have a great trip!