PDA

View Full Version : Children with asthma and swine flu vax

khalloc
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I've been looking at some of the posts about the H1N1 vax and I was wondering what those of you who have children with asthma are doing?

I am vaxing both of my children (DD 4yrs and DS 1 yr) on a regular schedule. I dont know if I will get them the H1N1 vax, but will talk to the pediatrician next week. for DD maybe not since she is otherwise healthy. But DS has asthma and had a heck of a time last winter. He battled pneumonia at 9 months, then a series of colds, and bronchio problems before being put on asthma meds. Now he takes Flovent 1x a day, and if he gets sick with a cold we up it to 2x a day (4 puffs). He's in the higher-risk group for H1N1 so I am really thinking about the vax for him. I'm really not sure what to do. I think his doc will probably recommend it.

WWYD?

khalloc
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I forgot to add that both of my kids go to daycare full-time.

citymama
10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
My 3.5 yr old is going to get it - I hate to say it, but in part to protect me, as a pregnant woman with asthma (I'll be getting it too). If he has had a flu shot in the past, this is essentially the same composition.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/2009/09/four-swine-flu-vaccines-approved-by-fda.asp

There was a thread with this same question last week - you might want to do a search.

jse107
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Absolutely getting it.

BabyMine
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
DS1 has asthma and has already had the seasonal flu vaccine and will be getting the H1N1 when it comes out. Our whole family is getting both vaccines.

lilycat88
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
We're just getting over H1N1 here and I STILL plan on getting DD vaccinated (and me). We had a mild case and I'm not sure I trust the immunity because it was so mild. Her ped said that the CDC is recommending that kids kit vax'd even if they have had it. I haven't looked for that fact anywhere, though.

lorinick
10-06-2009, 03:22 PM
DS1 has asthma and has already had the seasonal flu vaccine and will be getting the H1N1 when it comes out. Our whole family is getting both vaccines.

:yeahthat: My peds office hasn't gotten the H1N1 vaccine yet. But said that they are recommeding the shot and my 9 year with asthma should get it. He has already been hosp in Sept. We are taking no chances. And will be getting the shot for him and the two year old.