PDA

View Full Version : How to address SAHM on resume and cover letter

niccig
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
I've applied for a few jobs and I don't know how to address teh gap on my resume.

I have a section titled "Professional Experience.

In March 2006 until the present, I've volunteered in a related area, so I can put that in.

My last paid job ended in Jan 2005.

Do you say anything about being a SAHM or jsut leave it to address if get interview etc.

Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
My dh had me joined LinkedIn for some reason and I had to create a job bio for myself. I was a SAHM. I included things like "research social and education opportunities for my child" but that may be a bit too smart alek-y for a real job. Still, there are a lot of things that you do as a mom that you might want to take credit for, especially if they could be relevant in your field of work.

That said, I think I am just going to leave it off and bring it up in person if asked when I do mine.

Beth

egoldber
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
In the experience section I just said something like:

2002-present: Full time at home parent. Activities included being room parent, volunteer, etc.

I don't remember exactly what I said but it was to that effect. I do think you should address with at least a one liner. IMO it also screens out people who are not willing to deal with people with children.

citymama
10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
In the experience section I just said something like:

2002-present: Full time at home parent. Activities included being room parent, volunteer, etc.

I would agree with language like that ("parent" instead of "mother"). I also agree that it is better to address it than leave it out. As an employer/recruiter, I often puzzle over resumes that show big unexplained gaps ("what did they do between 2004-2007?"). I can assume the person was a SAHP - or maybe they took 3 years off to travel the world? Either way, it's important to account for that period of time. Don't assume it is a negative mark against you - one of my favorite recent hires is a SAHD who returned to work after 2 years of full-time daddying. Course I am not your typical recruiter. ;)

wendibird22
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
What about using a functional format resume instead of chronological? That way the main section highlights your skills/talents instead of where you worked and for how long? Of course, many functional format resumes still list an employment history section and so the gap would still appear, but it wouldn't be front and center on your resume. I think it would be appropriate to address it in your cover letter along with a statement about what you did during that time to stay current in your field of interest (if that's the case), gain new skills, or obtain new/additional education (if new field of interest).

niccig
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks. I'll put that one line in.

I also have other gaps on my resume. I traveled for a year, then had a year when I couldn't work as getting green card, so I volunteered. Most of my professional work was in Australia. I did work for 1 year at UCLA Law School - so I'm REALLY hoping that that carries some weight, you know. I have a good reference from them. I stopped because of DS, and the hours were not conducive to a child, adn the commute was too dang long. But they liked me and told me they will give me project work if they need anything...

Oh well fingers crossed.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks too for the advice about putting it on. :)

Beth

citymama
10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
What about using a functional format resume instead of chronological? That way the main section highlights your skills/talents instead of where you worked and for how long? Of course, many functional format resumes still list an employment history section and so the gap would still appear, but it wouldn't be front and center on your resume. I think it would be appropriate to address it in your cover letter along with a statement about what you did during that time to stay current in your field of interest (if that's the case), gain new skills, or obtain new/additional education (if new field of interest).

:yeahthat: This is a really good idea too. List your skills in summary form at the top of the resume, particularly if those skills may not jump out of your resume. Also, put some work into the cover letter - a well-written, personalized cover letter counts for a lot.