PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Teachers of 3-5 yo, need help (sorry, long)

maestramommy
10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
UPDATE: Well, this morning Dh and I taught the 3-5 class again. J was the only student there, so it was kinda funny, a private lesson with two teachers. We had a lot more activities lined up and you won't be surprised to hear we used up every one. Probably because it was only one kid. Anyway, I had a much easier time re-directing J, and it helped that Dh was there to help corral him. I've got to say, J is SMART. 4yo, and he was able to trace a route along a map of the L.A area using just red highways. Very creative too. He came up with a way to help Abraham move all of his stuff. It really gave me a new appreciation for kids like him. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

This past Sunday Dh and I were slated to teach the 3-5 yo class during the 10:30 service. We dropped off Dora at Sunday school and Arwyn in the nursery and went to the Adult class at 9:30. After class Dh went to prep for the class and I went to get Dora from class. The classroom and the nursery are right across from each other so I could see Arwyn's back when I walked through the "hallway." While I was talking to Dora's teacher I suddenly hear Arwyn crying really loudly. The teacher told me Arwyn had been cry most of the last hour. I was shocked because she's always loved going to nursery. Of course it's new that Dora is no longer there, but she wasn't there last week and everything was fine. Anyway, Arwyn was pretty much ballistic, and when I went to see what was wrong she clung to me and just screamed. Dh then showed up and saw what was up, so he took Arwyn, and I went to continue the classroom prep because I didn't even know where the room was. While I was setting stuff up, Dh came back. Arwyn was in the car, and he was taking her home. She insisted on going to the car, climbed in her seat and refused to get out. Just said she wanted to go home. So we decided Dh would take her home, and I would teach, then collect everyone else (MIL included) and go home later.

7 kids showed up for class. 4 girls and 3 boys. One of the boys, J, has severe nut allergies, and his mom left a kit for him. J was a very sweet boy and ran up to give me a hug as soon as I said hi (I don't know him at all). From that point on he never stopped moving. One way to describe him was that he was a like a windup car put into a very small box with too many other cars. Seriously. We were doing Noah's ark, and Dh and I had planned for the kids to make and "ark" out of a huge box. I cut out the door and windows and the kids were coloring it with markers, crayons, and color pencils. They also took turns going into the box. At one point J was inside the box with two other kids, and they were supposed to be coloring, but he went a little crazy and started coloring a girl's dress. I mean his arm was so out of control it was just flailing, y'know? The girl gave him a dirty look, and I just said, "J, stop. That isn't nice." And he immediately stopped. Luckily all he had was a yellow color pencil, so it left no mark on her. At that moment I remembered something from my teaching days about all the kids having to feel safe in the class so they can learn. So for the rest of the period (about 45 minutes) I had to stay on top of J so he didn't take over the class. Another thing that was hard was that he kept wanting to play with the toys on the shelves. We are using the preschool's space, so I had to keep telling him we're not allowed to play with those toys, since I had no idea what was allowed (I have to clarify with someone). By the end of the class I was totally drained and stressed out. Thank God my oldest mothers helper from the summer was the classroom helper. That girl is a gem. She knew all the things to say to help keep J in line that were very friendly and never rebuking. I really need to take notes for dealing with Dora :p

Anyway, I know that part of the problem was I didn't have enough activities planned so every time there was a slight lull the kids started looking for things to do. The lesson material they give us has many activities to choose from, and I guess we chose too few. I think I underestimated the amount of time I needed to prepare for, something I won't do again.

I have never felt so inadequate as a teacher as I did during that 45 minute period :lol: Clearly I am rusty, but I don't have any experience with toddlers besides my own. My youngest students were in 5th grade, so they had a little more impulse control :p J appears to have very little. He really is a nice kid, just very energetic, and not the longest attention span. To his credit, every time I told him not do do x, he did stop, as soon as he actually heard me LOL! I can't remember if he is 4 or 5, but I think he's 5.

So what I need are ideas for 1) keeping him constantly engaged, 2) smoother transitions from one activity to the next 3) what to say if I need to reign him in without sounding like I'm mad at him. I'm assuming that the next time I teach Dh will be there. I didn't tell him about J, only that it was a little stressful. I'm thankful that he wasn't the one who ended up teaching, because it might have stressed him out so much he'd never want to do it again:hysterical: I feel a little bad because things were so hectic, I never even had a chance to take a look at J's allergy kit. It was big, a whole backpack. I was only expecting an epipen or something

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I have 2 girls with FAs. What on EARTH is in an "allergy kit" that requires a whole backpack? Seriously? I make it simple. At church, I provide a snack of my own for them and (with DD#2) leave an epi pen. That's it.

maestramommy
10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I have 2 girls with FAs. What on EARTH is in an "allergy kit" that requires a whole backpack? Seriously? I make it simple. At church, I provide a snack of my own for them and (with DD#2) leave an epi pen. That's it.

I have no idea. I was hoping someone here could tell me. I don't think J had his own snack because we provide only Ritz crackers, and clearly he knew he could have them.

MamaKath
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I have no idea. I was hoping someone here could tell me. I don't think J had his own snack because we provide only Ritz crackers, and clearly he knew he could have them.
Could it be a nebulizer, snacks and and epipen? That is what I used to carry (before the car was stolen, ugh) in a big tote.

As for what to do with them, songs and movement are key. Think about the tv shows your kids like. Most have short segments, no more than 7 minutes. When you plan activities try to have ones that are no more than 7 minutes with some kind of a "commercial break" in between each segment. Before each segment make your expectations clear, do the activity, then do some kind of movement break (songs with movement are great!). If you can get a routine going, they will have a blast. The songs don't need to be new each time, they love singing the same ones over and over. It sounds like a stressful start, but you have a great spirit about yourself and sound very committed to making it work.

ourbabygirl
10-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I don't have experience with preschoolers yet (mostly high school with a bit of elementary & middle school-aged kids thrown in), but I thought I had learned in an education class in college that kids only have an attention span of their age plus maybe 2. So one of my 9th grade students (age 14 or 15) would have an attention span of about 16 or 17 minutes for an activity. So that 7 minute thing sounds right.
Also, what I used to do in class (with my high schoolers) was post on the front white board a brief list of the things we were going to do/ accomplish in class that day, so they knew what to expect ahead of time. Not that your pre-schoolers can read yet, but you could still maybe write the plan for the class up on the board, and just *briefly* go through it with them. Like "first we're going to ...., then ..., then... and finally,...." Sound peppy and like each activity will be a lot of fun (which I'm sure you already do), and they'll be so excited to do it. It also helps you (as the teacher) to refer back to the plan and make sure your timing is on and such. You can obviously adjust the plan as needed. And, yeah, definitely plan more activities than you have time for. If for nothing else, if one of your activities is not going well, you have other options to try.
Also, I find that the young kids really like tactile activities and group & partner activities (as do teenagers :)). Think about the multiple intelligences and if there are ways you can re-work certain activities to make them incorporate more of the senses and other 'intelligences.'

Have fun! I'm sure they're lucky to be in your class!

MommyAllison
10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I've helped with our 3-5y/o class a lot, and it sounds like yours is a little less structured. Ours has the same schedule every week so that kids know what to expect. First 30 minutes kids are arriving and we have one activity out (puzzles, lacing toys, or coloring sheets). After they finish the activity, they have free play. When the 30 minutes are up, everyone cleans up toys, then there is the Bible story lesson with a couple songs. Immediately after that is the craft. After that is go potty, then either playing outside, playing in the PlayPlace (like McDs), or more free play. Then clean up, then snack. Parents usually start arriving at the end of snack time. Our church services are 1.5-2 hrs long.

Anyway, the kids do well mostly because they know what to expect. It is easier for the teachers to know what to expect, too! Is there a way that a routine can be set up for your class?

That's not to say there isn't craziness ;) there is! Good luck!

thomma
10-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Playdoh or something like it would keep him engaged during the "lulls" and let him keep moving.

Kim
ds&dd -6!

maestramommy
10-07-2009, 07:05 AM
I've helped with our 3-5y/o class a lot, and it sounds like yours is a little less structured. Ours has the same schedule every week so that kids know what to expect. First 30 minutes kids are arriving and we have one activity out (puzzles, lacing toys, or coloring sheets). After they finish the activity, they have free play. When the 30 minutes are up, everyone cleans up toys, then there is the Bible story lesson with a couple songs. Immediately after that is the craft. After that is go potty, then either playing outside, playing in the PlayPlace (like McDs), or more free play. Then clean up, then snack. Parents usually start arriving at the end of snack time. Our church services are 1.5-2 hrs long.

Anyway, the kids do well mostly because they know what to expect. It is easier for the teachers to know what to expect, too! Is there a way that a routine can be set up for your class?

That's not to say there isn't craziness ;) there is! Good luck!

I agree a set routine would be great, but I don't know that there is one because it's a different parent each week that teaches. You get the lesson plan from the book 1-2 weeks ahead. I think next time I'll get it more ahead of time and look at it sooner. The curriculum is called Covenant Kingdom and is supposed to teach to the multiple intelligences. We had a workshop to intro the curriculum, but there was no training at all, just walked through it a little and we were told we could choose the activities for each "phase."

Our service is only 1-1 hour 15 minutes, but I like the flow of your routine. I'm going to see how I can fit that with the curriculum. I'm also going to ask whether we are allowed to play with the preschool toys. The school is loosely connected to the church, and the director is a member.

Thanks ladies for your help! I got a little discouraged when I saw the thread down on p. 3 in one day. This is a tough age to teach!

egoldber
10-07-2009, 07:34 AM
As for what to do with them, songs and movement are key.

Yup, I agree. And the Playdoh idea is great. Giving him something to do with his hands may be very calming and soothing for him.

J sounds like an average energetic boy though. I know that many kids would have a really hard time NOT playing with toys that are on shelves in a classroom. When I have to take Sarah in with me to pick up Amy from daycare, she always wants to play with the toys in Amy's classroom LOL!

And Amy is very much like J. She never, ever stops moving. Ever. Not unless she is sleeping. She needs active and continuous engagement and monitoring. She wears me out!!!!

JBaxter
10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Nathan's class is 4's and 5's and they have a lesson w/ paper craft or coloring and then they go to our gym ( yup our church has a gym w/ basketball hoops and a stage) and let them run and play to burn off energy.

sunriseiz
10-07-2009, 11:23 AM

DS has a nut allergy and when I take him to SS, I leave his old diaper bag/backpack there as it has his epi-pen and benedryl and I just feel like it's easier to keep up with them in a back pack instead of just handing them to the teacher. It's a small backpack and I've just quickly shown the teacher where the epi-pen is and double check that they know how to use it.

I think you've gotten some really good ideas from the other posters, so I won't comment much, but I think some kind of routine is helpful. Also, for our classes there are required to be 2 teachers and sometimes even a helper (teenager or senior usually). I've stayed a few times when they were short a teacher or helper. I can't imagine doing it alone!

MommyAllison
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Also, for our classes there are required to be 2 teachers and sometimes even a helper (teenager or senior usually). I've stayed a few times when they were short a teacher or helper. I can't imagine doing it alone!

Good point, we always have two adults too, for liability reasons. Hopefully with someone else there next time it will go more smoothly!

Is there a Children's Ministry coordinator or supervisor who could help with the routine implementation?

maestramommy
10-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Good point, we always have two adults too, for liability reasons. Hopefully with someone else there next time it will go more smoothly!

Is there a Children's Ministry coordinator or supervisor who could help with the routine implementation?

Yes, actually I know both of the elders in charge of children's ministry. In fact, the oldest daughter of one of them was my helper, and also my mothers helper:p So I can easily speak with her about it. She teaches the same class before service, and subs here and there, so she may have a better idea about routine. This class is VERY hard to get teachers for. Even though it is a "rule" that 1 parent has to sign up to teach for every child in their family that is enrolled.

The two adult rule applies to the nursery, but I didn't hear it mentioned for Sunday School. They have a safe haven policy, maybe I should take another look at it.

maestramommy
11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
bump! for update