PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Found perfect center!: Daycare/Preschool that has an Open Classroom?

sste
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
UPDATE: So, I made my peace with the open classroom and even decided that it was a positive thing from the perspective of child abuse prevention and oversight. On Monday, after some phone stalking, I got off the waitlist at a DIFFERENT, non-open room child care center/preschool after three waitlisted years!

New center is really incredible and I am picky, picky. One and a half blocks from my office, a full developmental daycare and preschool, for the two year old room a 1:5 teacher ratio, creative curriculum, developmental assessments of kids every three months, parent meetings to discuss child's development 2-3 times per year, special speech consultant available to the children at no cost and other educational consultants who work periodically in the center, two year old lead teacher is working on her masters degree in special ed and the preschool room teachers all have teaching masters degrees, very nice outdoor playground . . . and its $800 per month in a major metro area!!! The center is a cooperative between the federal government which subsidizes space, easter seals which provides funding in exchange for fully inclusive classrooms, and my city's public school system and headstart. So, the programming is on par, in fact exceeding, the best programs I have seen at twice the price and in fact exceeding the NAEYC standards. And it is truly diverse and not as chi-chi as the open center daycare: the kids are a mix of children of federal employees, at risk/lower income children, and children of fanatical stalkers of this particular daycare center who tend to be upper income.

DH and I practically did a war dance in the director's office when she let us in! Thanks everyone for your advice.

Thanks to all the BB posters who advised me on questions to ask when touring a daycare for our 2 year old. The place I found is *almost* perfect: terrific ratio and small classes, a few blocks from DH's job and a five minute bus ride from my job, kind of a school-ish daycare so full day, play-based curriculum and minimal teacher change during the day, very well qualified teachers, beautiful facility with magazine-quality brand new facilities and classrooms, indoor gym built as a "kids tree house," rooftop deck playground, and short walk from a city park, great nap/food/potty train/parent drop in policies and also eco-friendly - - they provide all organic meals through a kids catering service, insist on cloth-diapering for you and only have wood/safe plastic toys!

The only downside I see is that the classrooms were purposefully set up as huge open rooms with low-wall dividers separating the classrooms. DS's room would have 2 classes of 2-3 year olds and a year from now also 2 classes of 3-4 year olds in the back portion of the room. I cannot imagine the noise - - the center keeps on assuring me that they have kids rotating out to indoor treehouse/rooftop deck/city park/other field trips so its not what I am thinking.

Would this be a deal breaker for you? We can also look for a nanny and waitlist ourselves at another preschool - - I just wonder if there is always going to be one item on my preschool wish list that isn't perfect no matter where I go.

JenChem
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I think that sounds like a wonderful place. I would at least plan on going there for the year. You can always continue to tour other facilities and make plans to switch him when/if the noise does become an issue.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
It's not a deal breaker for me but I share your noise concerns. My ds1 had trouble when his school had to be inside on really nasty days and they all played in a small gym. The noise really got to him. But, your room sounds bigger than this space and I think it could be different.

Beth

doberbrat
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
can you take a tour when class is in session so you can assess the noise level for yourself?

one thing I would worry about is germs. in an open classroom like that I'd be concerned that illnesses would spread faster than if the kids are contained in 1 classroom at a time.

other than that, it sounds near-perfect. and take it from me, there's no such thing as the perfect school, dc, nanny etc.

sste
10-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, the tour doesn't help because right now there are only 10 kids in this huge room - - the center just opened in July, which is the only reason I am not on a waitlist as I am at every other top-quality facility in the city.

Its kind of hard to explain but the classrooms are entirely distinct - - low walls and bookcases so that all four sides are semi-enclosed and each have their own full set of toys/play kitchen/dramatic play station/arts and craft tables. But, there are just no full walls and a high loft type ceiling. They share a common (fake-log constructed and very cute!) toddler restroom with, get this, toddler sized low-water flow toilets in keeping with their eco-friendly orientation.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
It really sounds like an awesome school. I would jump on it and worry about the little stuff later. Btw, my ds was the only kids who seemed to mind the noise and commotion. Your ds could be totally fine!

Beth

niccig
10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
We had a classroom like that at DS's school. He wsa never in the class, but I never heard anyone complain. The had 2 pre-K classes in one very big room and a dividing wall of a partition. Honestly, everything else sounds great. I would take the spot, and if it doesn't work for you, you can look elsewhere. As it's a new school, the numbers are low, which is great for your DS, but as they get more kids I would re-evaluate. You just never know what happens with more kids, more staff etc.

catsnkid
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
DS (4 months) is in a small, non profit daycare in a rural setting. His room has two doors that are open on top so the teachers can communicate. The rest of the school has an open layout- it goes up through preschool.

jess_g
10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
We visited a daycare like this when we were looking at daycares for my son. It was a realy nice place but realy noisy and my boys do not do well with noise. Even though they only had a few kids in each section of the room, you could hear the other kids. In our case it was a real problem and we choose a different program for our son. The program we choose has actual classrooms for each group of kids and the kids move up in the classrooms together from year to year. I think you should go back for another visit when they are busy and see what the noise is like for yourself and see how your child reacts to it. Some kids can tune out background noise.

Just my advice, other than the openness it sounds like a lovely daycare and I do think location is very important. My sons daycare was 20 minutes from our house but a very drivable route so it was pretty easy to get him there and pick him up.

Jessica.

egoldber
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, I might give it a try. Amy would do fine with it, but Sarah would have been overwhelmed.

pb&j
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
This would be a deal breaker for DS. The noise would make him crazy. For other kids, it might be just fine. But I know that a big, noisy setting like that would really stress him out.

sste
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
UPDATE: So, I made my peace with the open classroom and even decided that it was a positive thing from the perspective of child abuse prevention and oversight. On Monday, after some phone stalking, I got off the waitlist at a DIFFERENT, non-open room child care center/preschool after three waitlisted years!

New center is really incredible and I am picky, picky. One and a half blocks from my office, a full developmental daycare and preschool, for the two year old room a 1:5 teacher ratio, creative curriculum, developmental assessments of kids every three months, parent meetings to discuss child's development 2-3 times per year, special speech consultant available to the children at no cost and other educational consultants who work periodically in the center, two year old lead teacher is working on her masters degree in special ed and the preschool room teachers all have teaching masters degrees, very nice outdoor playground . . . and its $800 per month in a major metro area!!! The center is a cooperative between the federal government which subsidizes space, easter seals which provides funding in exchange for fully inclusive classrooms, and my city's public school system and headstart. So, the programming is on par, in fact exceeding, the best programs I have seen at twice the price and in fact exceeding the NAEYC standards. And it is truly diverse and not as chi-chi as the open center daycare: the kids are a mix of children of federal employees, at risk/lower income children, and children of fanatical stalkers of this particular daycare center who tend to be upper income.

DH and I practically did a war dance in the director's office when she let us in! Thanks everyone for your advice.