PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Birthday Ball

Cheburashka
10-06-2009, 04:06 PM
My SO and I had a long distance relationship before I moved in with him, and this is the first year I'm out here for the Marine Birthday. I've been desperately wanting to go ever since I heard about it. Of course, there is a but, and that's where I'm hoping to get some other opinions.

1- The event is November 10, which would put me right around 35 weeks pregnant. This being my first child, I'm not sure how I'll feel then. It's entirely possible I won't want to go out. Anyone have any advice or stories to share about trying to go out that pregnant and how it worked out? Or if I should just not plan on going out then?
2- There aren't any formal wear stores nearby that rent out dresses for pregnant women (that I've been able to find within reasonable distance). I did find a lovely dressmaker who said she could make a dress for me, but the price is super expensive. The SO and I are on a tight budget for now. The dressmaker did say that I could always take the dress back to her and get it altered for other black tie events, so theoretically I could wear the dress to next year's ball, which would stretch out the mileage somewhat. Has anyone altered a dress you wore while pregnant again and had it look decent? I'm not sure how those alterations would work either - wouldn't there be a lot to take in (optimistically assuming that I can lose the baby weight)?

The Marine Birthday is something that happens every year, so it's not like I'm missing a once in a lifetime event if I don't go this year (and we don't plan on him leaving his job anytime in the next few years). The SO has told me that if I really want to go, he could make room in the budget for my dress. I've been looking forward to this event for awhile, so my judgment is off. Give it to me straight, my heart can take it - on a tight budget, it would be selfish to ask to go when I know it'll be expensive, right?

(A compromise a friend of ours suggested was to go to the ceremony but skip the ball - the ceremony is business dress, not black tie.)

elektra
10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
First of all, if the event is local, it's very likely you will be up for going out and should have no problem with it. I was still out and about until actually going into labor.
And as far as the dress goes, I would just look for something in the more formal section of a maternity shop. It may not be exactly black tie, but pregnant women get a lot of leeway (in my book at least!) when it comes to appropriate fashion. I wouldn't go the custom dress route.

MizMojoLaveau
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
:yeahthat:I agree.
Your dress does not have to be super formal. I have been to many USMC balls (including in NC) and there are always a GREAT variety of dresses worn, ranging from VERY informal to formal. I would just try to get something online or at any maternity shop and make it do, but I would definitely plan on going if I were you. Perhaps get something a bit plain and dress it up with the accessories. Have fun!

SM23Mama21
10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, I was in your same boat last year (way pregnant and on a tight budget). My husband was dying to go to the Navy ball (it has become our tradition to our one night out each year), but I wasn't sure I was up to it. I found a dress on clearance at Motherhood for $15. Not extremely dressy, but it passed with the right accessories. We had a blast! I spent more time sitting at the table than I have in years past because my energy level was not there, but I was happy to be there even just to watch! You should go! Think of it as your last chance to get out prebaby!! Oh, but do prepare yourself for a few rude comments. I received more "oh your huge" and "are you sure your not having twins" during that night than the entire time I was pregnant. I think it was because those people were drinking. But just ignore it and enjoy yourself!! And I wouldn't try to get a dress thinking you can alter it for next year. I put on my ball dress from 2 years ago thinking I would wear it this year... I've lost the baby weight, but it does not fit due to my new bust line. haha

amldaley
10-06-2009, 08:24 PM
My SO and I had a long distance relationship before I moved in with him, and this is the first year I'm out here for the Marine Birthday. I've been desperately wanting to go ever since I heard about it. Of course, there is a but, and that's where I'm hoping to get some other opinions.

1- The event is November 10, which would put me right around 35 weeks pregnant. This being my first child, I'm not sure how I'll feel then. It's entirely possible I won't want to go out. Anyone have any advice or stories to share about trying to go out that pregnant and how it worked out? Or if I should just not plan on going out then?
2- There aren't any formal wear stores nearby that rent out dresses for pregnant women (that I've been able to find within reasonable distance). I did find a lovely dressmaker who said she could make a dress for me, but the price is super expensive. The SO and I are on a tight budget for now. The dressmaker did say that I could always take the dress back to her and get it altered for other black tie events, so theoretically I could wear the dress to next year's ball, which would stretch out the mileage somewhat. Has anyone altered a dress you wore while pregnant again and had it look decent? I'm not sure how those alterations would work either - wouldn't there be a lot to take in (optimistically assuming that I can lose the baby weight)?

The Marine Birthday is something that happens every year, so it's not like I'm missing a once in a lifetime event if I don't go this year (and we don't plan on him leaving his job anytime in the next few years). The SO has told me that if I really want to go, he could make room in the budget for my dress. I've been looking forward to this event for awhile, so my judgment is off. Give it to me straight, my heart can take it - on a tight budget, it would be selfish to ask to go when I know it'll be expensive, right?

(A compromise a friend of ours suggested was to go to the ceremony but skip the ball - the ceremony is business dress, not black tie.)

1) The ceremony is not business dress unless it is not being held in the same venue as the ball itself. The ceremony is very cool - there is a reading and a guest speaker and a cake cutting. The first peice of cake goes to the oldest Marine present. The next to the youngest Marine present - it is pretty neat. Unless they are doing the ceremony at the unit then going on to the Ball (rare), you will be underdressed in "business" attire.

2) You could get away with a very dressy dress that is not "formal" (semi-formal - evening) or a nice pants suit and really snazz it up with jewelry and hair and great shoes.

3) You are not the first nor the last to be way pregnant at the Ball. We are all used to it. So if you are not in a full length satin gown, no one would think less of you, especially at that point in your pregnancy. They will flock around you to admire you, wish you well, ask your due date and make comments about the fact that you even made it out at 35 weeks.

4) I was miserable at 35 weeks but I had major complications and that was mid-summer and about 100 degrees here at good ol' Camp Lejeune. YMMV.

5) Try Davids Bridal online - I believe they have maternity dresses and you don't have to get anything spendy. Look on Craigslist and Ebay for maternity formals.

6) Try JCPenny for a maternity semi-formal.

7) You are right - the Marine Corps birthday happens every year and every year he is a Marine there will either be a ceremony at the unit or a full fledged Ball to attend.

P.S. edited to add...there is a Davids Bridal in Wilmington at Mayfaire, but they are kind of jerky.

amldaley
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Also, if you are in the Camp Lejeune area, the USO will be doing a used dress giveaway from their "attic" and there is some sort of a dress sale and barter system with a fashion show but I don't have the info handy....my guess is that Cherry Point would have similar.

Cheburashka
10-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like I got my wires crossed a bit on the dress code (I love my SO, but his understanding of female dress is severely lacking), and maybe got a little taken by the dressmaker. Oh well. Pregnancy-wise, I have days where I get about 12 hours of sleep at night and still nap throughout the following day, and I have days where I get 4 hours of sleep and end up bouncing off the walls, and anything in between. So that whole area is just a giant question mark to me. For now, I think I'll tell the SO I want to go, but we'll make it reliant on me finding a good deal on a dress. I'll start looking around now and hopefully I can spread out the spending a bit to make it easier on the budget. It sounds like a good compromise to me.

And I am so very eager to go. I'm not usually a girly-girl, but there were literal squeals of excitement when he first brought it up to me. And the Ball probably will be the last time we get to go out pre-baby, so I'm also clinging it based on that. I couldn't care less if I ended up sitting a lot of the time, just to go once without worrying about the baby-sitter, the baby, that kind of thing will be nice.

Also, if you are in the Camp Lejeune area, the USO will be doing a used dress giveaway from their "attic" and there is some sort of a dress sale and barter system with a fashion show but I don't have the info handy....my guess is that Cherry Point would have similar.

Yep, we're local to Camp Lejeune. I will definitely look into this; it would help sooo much.

Thanks again for the input everyone! :bowdown:

amldaley
10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
In that case, you should also look on lejeuneyardsales.com

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!!!!!!!!