PDA

View Full Version : Mindless Poll

Fairy
10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
This has been a very serious thread kind of day! Here's something light and mindless -->

Black licorice: Gimme gimme gimme, or Hold on I gotta throw up?

Twoboos
10-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Hold on.... ok, I'm back.

No, thank you.

(ETA: Although I can eat piles of Italian anisette cookies. Go figure.)

Moneypenny
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Just the smell of it makes me gag. Yuck.

AnnieW625
Don't like it at all.

Fairy

What she said.

BabyMine
10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Cherry/Strawberry all the way.

citymama
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm a bundle of morning/noontime/evening sickness! Don't do this to me.

:barf:

EllasMum
10-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Growing up, none of us kids liked black licorice. on Halloween night, we'd bring home our haul, sort it out into piles, and give my dad all the black licorice (he'd be in the 'gimme gimme' category;)). I still remember a huge mountain of black licorice on my dad's dresser. Blast from the past!

Momof3Labs
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
It depends. I can't stand black twizzlers (is that even real licorice?), but could eat a box of Panda black licorice every day. DH will eat black jellybeans (esp Jelly Bellies) but I don't care for them. He won't touch my Panda black licorice (thank goodness).

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I thought it would pretty evenly split between love it or hate it. Wasn't expecting people to be neutral. :)

Beth

kayte
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

:yeahthat:

And DH L O V E S it---especially the really smelly Scandinavian kind--because his Mormor (grandmother) always had it at her house.

bubbaray
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
There is only one true color of licorice and its RED! And its made by Twizzlers -- other brands are imposters.

ilfaith
10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I love it.

I was the weird kid who would eat the black jellybeans from my friends' Easter baskets

I will also eat red licorice...but only Twizzlers. Red Vines have a strange aftertaste to me.

arivecchi
10-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm a bundle of morning/noontime/evening sickness! Don't do this to me.

:barf::hysterical: I'm sorry. I know that morning sickness is horrible, but your reply was just too funny.

Cam&Clay
10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I'm the one you can send all of your black jelly beans to! The Panda licorice at Trader Joe's is the best!

trales
10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I could live on the stuff, I really like the really strong Scandinavian kinds. Black Jelly Beans are the best, the good ones from a candy store, not the Brachs junk.

tylersmama
10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
There is only one true color of licorice and its RED! And its made by Twizzlers -- other brands are imposters.
:yeahthat:

trentsmom
10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I could take it or leave it. But I have noticed that when I eat black jelly beans, my tongue goes a little numb. Fun!

Fairy
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
I love it.

I was the weird kid who would eat the black jellybeans from my friends' Easter baskets

I will also eat red licorice...but only Twizzlers. Red Vines have a strange aftertaste to me.

I'm shocked, but DS likes the black ones, too. I was like, what? You are a child of two people who gag at the thought of black licorice, yet you like it? Wow. As for red vines, I totally agree, they have a strange texture and aftertaste I don't like.

elizabethkott
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Barf-o-rama.
But I love anisette. Dunno why!

ThreeofUs
10-06-2009, 07:30 PM
ooohhhh yyyyeeeesssss!!!

esp the reaaaalllyyy strong stuff from Holland - I'm addicted.

fivi2
10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I love red Twizzlers.

I will occasionally eat black licorice. I don't seek it out, but it doesn't make me ill.

jess_g
10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
love love love Red Vines but realy hate black licorice. It tastes way too much like medicine for me. I always wondered why the red and black licorice tastes so different from each other.

Jessica

Fairy
10-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Well black uses anise. Red definitely doesn't, it's usually strawberry or cherry flavored. I'm shocked that a) some people hate black licorice but love anise flavored things (wuh?!), and also that there are so many people in the middle ground. I really believed that you were hard coded to love it or hurl it.

jent
10-06-2009, 08:14 PM

I have never understood the love for Twizzlers-- they are just edible plastic to me.

jent
10-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm shocked that a) some people hate black licorice but love anise flavored things (wuh?!), and also that there are so many people in the middle ground. I really believed that you were hard coded to love it or hurl it.

I'm one of those middle ground-ers. It's ok, I guess, it definitely doesn't make me hurl, but I save the "gimmes" for more deserving things. Like dark chocolate.

MontrealMum
10-06-2009, 08:17 PM
If it's the real stuff from the Netherlands - COUNT ME IN!!! It's hard as heck to find it up here, though. I've had my mom ship me boxes of it before, along with Wilhelmena peppermints :)

Fairy
10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
If it's the real stuff from the Netherlands - COUNT ME IN!!! It's hard as heck to find it up here, though. I've had my mom ship me boxes of it before, along with Wilhelmena peppermints :)

Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? They have the Scandanavian (I think?)black licorice that i've noticed that the Gimme's seem to love.

vludmilla
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Yuck. Might prefer it over, say, roasted guinea pig, but not much else.

LD92599
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
LOVE black licorise. When i was pg with DS i had the ultimate craving of needing the black licorise that i remembered as a kid from Vermont Country Store and nothing else would do. I ended up ordering a few pounds of it from some candy place in Wisconsin or MN! VT Country Store didn't have it any more and i was determined to find a VERY close substitute!

Laura

kijip
10-06-2009, 08:49 PM
If I wanted to gnaw on anise seeds, well, I would gnaw on anise seed. Black licorice is na-s-ty. My husband and son love the stuff. Ick.

Momof3Labs
10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Red "licorice" isn't licorice, IMO. It's flavored plastic candy in the shape of licorice. And black twizzlers bear little taste resemblance to real black licorice.

In addition to my love for Panda black licorice, Good n Plenty taste pretty good every now and then!

MontrealMum
10-06-2009, 08:59 PM
No, no Trader Joe's in Canada :( There is an import store that sells Dutch things but it's quite a drive from where I live. But, of course, there's always Ikea for the Swedish kind and Swedish fish :)

Corie
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
My mom used to eat the nastiest sweets.

Black licorice
Circus peanuts
Necco wafers
Neopolitans
etc.

All of it is just plain gross.

MichelleRC
10-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I can't stand it but DH loves it.

DrSally
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I do not like it *at all*. My mom loves it.

ourbabygirl
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Yep, both my parents love it (especially dad), and my mom likes those crazy old fashioned colored black licorice things (like round hard circles of it with little colored sprinkles on top and stuff). Since my brothers and I grew up with it (ever had Nips? I think that's what they're called- anyway, they're NASTY but my dad used to share them w/us and they made my tongue green), I'm used to it, but it gives my SIL the heebie-jeebies. Not sure how DH feels about it or whether DD will like it some day, but I'm pretty neutral to it, though I like the Twizzlers black licorice and Nibs (any Twizzlers, really) better than the 'real stuff.'
Speaking of the taste of black licorice, ever had Anise gum (in a red 5-piece pack)? I think that's what it's called. Or BlackJack or Beamans? Blast from the past...

gatorsmom
10-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I could live on the stuff, I really like the really strong Scandinavian kinds.

Me too!!!! I had a Danish boyfriend one time who sent me a big bag of the extra strong stuff to put in a bottle of vodka to flavor it. Said it was all the rage in Copenhagen. I ate the bag of licorice by itself. I couldn't stop myself. It never made it into the vodka.

mommyp
10-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Love it! Especially the salty ones from Holland. There is an import store near my parents that sells it, but my stash from our last trip is gone. I haven't found an import store around here yet. The ones at Trader Joe's are also good.

KpbS
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
It is hard for me to believe that anyone will eat black licorice. YUK!