PDA

View Full Version : Sorry another H1N1 vax post - we're overseas WWYD?

luvmypeanut
10-06-2009, 06:08 PM
The kids go to private international schools. DS goes to the American school and they have had many cases of Influenza A at their main campus (not where DS attends). They actually closed the school for 5 days a few weeks ago. An email went out suggesting families get the seasonal flu shot available here and then the H1N1 vax in our home country if we go home for holidays because the vax will not be available here until well into the new year. DD's school has had a few cases of Influenza A and has had to keep one class home for a week but they've not made any recommendations on vaccines.

I'm reading as much information as I can about this and my head is spinning. We never got the flu shot when we lived in Hawaii. But there are a lot more people where we live now and we sometimes use public transportation. Should I do both shots or just put my name down for the H1N1 vax in Dec?

citymama
10-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I would get the seasonal flu vax now, and then the H1N1 when you're back home in Dec. Good luck!

MamaMolly
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
We're overseas too, and while DD can't have the flu vax because of egg allergies, I can answer what I plan to do. I'm going to get the regular flu vax (like I did when pregnant with DD) and take a wait and see on the H1N1. But then we can probably get back 'home' more easily than most, so that honestly has been a factor.

FWIW with a vaccine as new and untried as the H1N1 I don't know if I'd get it if we were home. It is such a crapshoot though, isn't it? You'd hate to think 'what if?'

BabyMine
10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I would get the seasonal flu vax now, and then the H1N1 when you're back home in Dec. Good luck!

:yeahthat: