PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on/experience with Retrouvaille?

LBW
10-06-2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.retrouvaille.org/

I just learned about this weekend marriage program. H & I need help. We've tried therapy, but it wasn't working fast enough for me considering the expense. We're now at an impasse and simply not talking. It's beyond stressful. I realize that we have to deal with our problems, but ignoring them has just been simpler.

There's a Retrouvaille location near us, but I don't know what we'd do with the kids for 2 1/2 days. I'm also really hesitant to attend a religious program, but from the website description the religious aspects don't seem to be overemphasized.

I had looked into Gottman workshops earlier this year because I really connected with what he wrote in the Seven Principles book, but there are none offered in my area.

alexsmommy
10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I've never heard of it, but if you like Gottman, see if you can find a therapist that uses his techniques. This may work better for you than the other couples therapist you went to - Gottman has very specific homework /techniques that tend to get things moving.
http://www.gottman.com/privatetherapy/disclaimer/
Best of luck.

LBW
10-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I've never heard of it, but if you like Gottman, see if you can find a therapist that uses his techniques.

Thanks, but I've already tried this. There are no therapists in NJ that are Gottman trained. There was one up until about a year ago, but she's not practicing anymore.

alexsmommy
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
You may want to start calling around to the therapists listed on your insurance and ask if they use Gottman. Even without the certification, there are lots of couples therapists who are well versed in his techniques and have atteneded many seminars w/o paying for the formal certification. I know my office partner uses his stuff all of the time and is very "action oriented" about getting things moving in couples work.
Sorry things are so hard.