PDA

View Full Version : Jesuit education?

blisstwins
10-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Does anyone have children enrolled in a Jesuit school? Can anyone tell me anything about how Jesuit education may or may not be different from ordinary Catholic schools? My children currently attend a Franciscan school and people keep saying "Well, it's Jesuit," when I inquire about the other neighborhood school that is close to us as if that sums it all up and I should know what they mean. Any help would be appreciated.

gatorsmom
10-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I went to a Jesuit University and Franciscan elementary and high schools, not that that makes me an expert. I've heard this and would agree that there is a heavier emphasis on philosophy in a Jesuit education.

kijip
10-07-2009, 12:10 AM
The Jesuit tradition in the Catholic church is modeled after the faith and scholarship of Ignatius of Loyola, a 16th century soldier and knight who later became a priest and founded the Jesuits (Society of Jesus). This was all part of essentially the response to the formation of Protestant movements and the reformation.

Ignatius was a very brave man and a renowned intellectual and many, many Catholic schools are in the Jesuit tradition. Ignatius believed that God was in everything and that (essentially) everything can be made an opportunity to live in service to God. There is a strong belief of social justice and activism within the Jesuits. Action rather than philosophy alone, even in the face of adversity, is very important. The Jesuits were known for sending missionaries to the most dangerous places. The focus is on justice and service. By way of comparison, the Franciscans, another tradition within the Catholic church, are known for simplicity and peace. It's not to say that each tradition does not value the other's traits, but just that each has a distinct central theme.

My parents were members of the secular Franciscan order (that is Catholic men and women who married and chose not to become nuns or monks but to still devote themselves to religious life.) My husband and I attended a Jesuit church for several years. I am not an expert, but that is the basic information I picked up about Jesuit life.

blisstwins
10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for this information. FWIW, the Franciscan school my children now attend is sweet and lovely. Honestly, it is so warm and loving there. But there is only 1 class per grade and I have twins. In addition, it has had a lot of problems and I am not sure how stable it is for the long term. If I had one child or two of different I would be inclines to give it a try for elementary, but I have to look around.
The other Catholic school in our neighborhood is Jesuit and it is very regimented and strict. It is a thriving school, but discipline is a big deal to the extent that I am worried about my son attending. My son is very creative and walks to the beat of his own drum sometimes. His current school says he doesn't bother anyone, always knows what is going on and is not disruptive so they never force the issue with him, but I am afraid the other school will process his behavior as defiance. I just want to have a better handle on where the school is coming from philisophically. Thanks again.

TwinFoxes
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
The other Catholic school in our neighborhood is Jesuit and it is very regimented and strict.

How interesting. When I think of Jesuit schools, regimented and strict would not be two of the adjectives that came to mind! Jesuits are big on social justice and are considered scholars.

brittone2
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I am not Catholic but attended a Jesuit University. I agree w/ Katie's description that there is a big emphasis on philosophy, scholarship, social justice, etc.

I have no comparison with respect to a non-Jesuit education, but I had several friends in college who attended Catholic (non Jesuit) high schools or parishes. Several joked that when they left for college their fellow parishioners, etc. would tell them to "watch out for those Jesuits"...I think the implication is that Jesuits are possibly considered by some to be more theologically "liberal"?? However, like anything school-related, I'm sure how it works in practice really varies depending on the individual school.

eta: there was also a big focus on service. My university required a certain number of volunteer/service hours per semester.

arivecchi
10-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Jesuits are big on social justice and are considered scholars.:yeahthat:

gatorsmom
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I have no comparison with respect to a non-Jesuit education, but I had several friends in college who attended Catholic (non Jesuit) high schools or parishes. Several joked that when they left for college their fellow parishioners, etc. would tell them to "watch out for those Jesuits"...I think the implication is that Jesuits are possibly considered by some to be more theologically "liberal"?? However, like anything school-related, I'm sure how it works in practice really varies depending on the individual school.

LOL. Oh yeah, i totally got this from my parish. Jesuits are the crunchy, socks-n-sandal wearers of the Catholic Community. My university was pretty liberal as far as Catholic viewpoints. But they were extremely strict about rules, policies, etc.

brittone2
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
LOL. Oh yeah, i totally got this from my parish. Jesuits are the crunchy, socks-n-sandal wearers of the Catholic Community. My university was pretty liberal as far as Catholic viewpoints. But they were extremely strict about rules, policies, etc.

Yeah, my Jesuit university had a strong "no opposite sex visitors" permitted in dorm rooms after a certain time...like after 12:00am on weekdays and 2am on weekends.

wellyes
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
This is a little random, but when I think of Jesuit education, I think of Frank Pembleton (Andre Braugher's character) on the TV show Homicide: Life on the Street. That character was well-versed in theology, very smart and held himself to really high standards - and he talked frequently about having a rigorous Jesuit education.

cottagemom
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Here is a good link explaining in great detail Jesuit education and its history.

All the men in my family went to the same jesuit high school. The motto there was "men for others." The Jesuits believed the best way to have a positive influence on society is to educate the future leaders.

http://www.edocere.org/articles/jesuit_model_education.htm

michellerw
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
DH and I were married in my childhood Jesuit parish affiliated with Georgetown University and I was educated by an order of nuns who are known for educating in the Jesuit tradition. There is a strong emphasis on philosophy, questioning and understanding why, and social justice -- versus strict, unquestioning dogma -- at the heart of Ignatian philosophy. Jesuit educated people tend to be great debaters, to want to do the right thing, and to (in my opinion) do great things in the world. I would say that Jesuit schools tend to be fairly structured and the curricula tend to be traditional, but that the way the curriculum is taught is at the heart of things.

It was funny, when my husband and I married, there was a groom in our premarital counseling class who went to my girls' school's brother school (which was Jesuit). He and I continually questioned and engaged the priest leading our class with questions and challenges about Church teachings, despite the fact that we (unlike many others) were not the attorneys in the class. I think people who are Jesuit or similarly educated do have a different emphasis and, yes, the TV character Frank Pembleton was an awesome example!

StantonHyde
10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I think St. Joseph's outside of Philly is Jesuit school. A woman I worked with went there and she said it was quite a shock for many of the kids who 12 years of "rote" Catholic education. It wasn't enough to say "because that's what the Pope says". You had to know why, what were the theological underpinnings etc. They required that students challenge and question. If I had a choice in Catholic schools for my high school student, I would definitely send them to a Jesuit school. Not sure how much difference it makes in elementary school??

AnnieW625
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM

I don't know much about the Jesuits in general, but my cousins who went to Loyola High School in Los Angeles weren't crunchy at all, in fact they were pretty good looking guys. Same with the guys who went to Jesuit High School in Sacramento. Very good looking and about as close to classic and crisp prep school style you could get in Sacramento, and Pasadena where my cousins were from.

gatorsmom
10-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't know much about the Jesuits in general, but my cousins who went to Loyola High School in Los Angeles weren't crunchy at all, in fact they were pretty good looking guys. Same with the guys who went to Jesuit High School in Sacramento. Very good looking and about as close to classic and crisp prep school style you could get in Sacramento, and Pasadena where my cousins were from.

:ROTFLMAO: Sorry, I couldn't help it. I wasn't referring to the male students in my last post. I was referring to the priests that taught there. And what I meant was that they had very liberal Catholic viewpoints often controversial within the Catholic Church. Well, I do remember one priest who actually DID wear socks and sandals. :) But, most of the male students at my university were very clean-cut too.

AnnieW625
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
:ROTFLMAO: Sorry, I couldn't help it. I wasn't referring to the male students in my last post. I was referring to the priests that taught there. And what I meant was that they had very liberal Catholic viewpoints often controversial within the Catholic Church. Well, I do remember one priest who actually DID wear socks and sandals. :) But, most of the male students at my university were very clean-cut too.

Most of the priests I've known in the last 20 years are Birks with socks guys and I don't think they are Jesuits. He he.

erosenst
10-07-2009, 04:42 PM
In addition to the good information above, Jesuits tend to be very inclusive. The Jesuit high school here, as well as several others with which I'm familiar, have a number of students who are not Catholic, or even Protestant.

As others have said, they value teaching and questioning - and because of that, their schools are more evenly (?) high quality than those of some other Catholic traditions which teach more by rote.

In the "FWIW" category, if for some reason we don't send Abby to the very good, but VERY large public high school here, we would likely send her to the Jesuit high school. And we're Jewish.

citymama
10-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I totally know the sandals and socks Jesuits you're talking about! I had some Jesuit education (not one myself) and there was definitely an emphasis on social justice and service. Love some of my old SJ professors, and still keep in touch with one of them.

kransden
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I know lots of guys that went to the local Jesuit HS, and many that went to the local Jesuit University. They all got a good education, and the teachings resonated with some more than others. :)

dogmom
10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Actually I always think of my best Catholic joke when trying to describe Jesuits. It goes like this:

Three priests are walking down the road: a Jesuit, a Dominican and a Franciscan. The Lord God Himself appears before him. The Franciscan faints dead away, the Dominican falls on his knees before God. The Jesuit goes up to got, puts his arm around God and says, "Now about the education of your Son."

The best part is an old boyfriend of mine, who was not Catholic, told it to me and said, "I don't get this, but I think you will find it funny." I find it a good joke to identify Catholics and really identify anyone that when to a Jesuit school.

michellerw
10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Actually I always think of my best Catholic joke when trying to describe Jesuits. It goes like this:

Three priests are walking down the road: a Jesuit, a Dominican and a Franciscan. The Lord God Himself appears before him. The Franciscan faints dead away, the Dominican falls on his knees before God. The Jesuit goes up to got, puts his arm around God and says, "Now about the education of your Son."

Dogmom, this is the best Catholic joke I've ever heard! Thank you! :jammin:

citymama
10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

The best part is an old boyfriend of mine, who was not Catholic, told it to me and said, "I don't get this, but I think you will find it funny." I find it a good joke to identify Catholics and really identify anyone that when to a Jesuit school.

Love it! :D