PDA

View Full Version : Swimsuit support for those of us with D-cup sizes

khalloc
10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Is underwire a necessity? Is softcup support enough for someone who wears a 36d?

I wear a 36D bra, i may be going down to 36C here soon. I usually only buy swimsuits with underwires. But I see a TON that I love without. I cant try the suit on first because its on ebay. And I live in VT where there arent alot of options for shopping for bathing suits. Its a La Blanca tankini, size 12. I normally wear a size 10, but usually buy a size bigger for swimsuits.

I'm not sure if I should spring for the size 12 tankini without underwire or not. If you bring it to a seamstress is it possible to add an underwire? I was a 36B before kids, but have never gotten back to that.

lizzywednesday
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Is it lined? Does it have one of those half-bra smoosher thingies in it? The answer is a definite ... "maybe." Do you already know a seamstress? Talk to them about it first!!

You can add a bra/cups to pretty much anything (the saleswomen suggested adding cups to a wedding dress I was trying on, but loathed, so it's possible!) but it may not always suit the garment.

elektra
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
You can go without the underwire depending on the suit and depending on what you're comfortable with.
When I went to Hawaii this year (6 weeks post partum and what I later found out were size G breasts) I brought two suits, a one piece lands end and a triangle top from Athleta- both ordered with the bigger D-cup size.
Well after I saw the pictures, as much as the triangle top was comfy and easy for nursing, it was pretty scandalous. I was hanging out all over the place.
But the lands end one had a more structured inside (no wire though) and that held me together better.

khalloc
10-07-2009, 02:23 PM
This is the suit http://app5.sellersourcebook.com/users/77479/p4050079.jpg

BeachBum
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm a 36D and have been trying on suits lately because we are going on a cruise soon. While that suit is adorable, I don't think it would work for me. I'm more of a full D, not a C/D. I really need a suit with bra sizing for the tops.

sansdieu
10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm a larger cup, but I wouldn't risk it even if I were a D cup. Not because it's soft cup (I have some that are soft cups, and they're quite supportive), but because it's a soft-cup HALTER. Without the underwire, all the weight of your breasts will basically be supported by your neck, which is not a good idea for large/ heavy breasts.

There are some companies that sell suits by cup size (even that "Everything but water" mall store does; do they have them in VT?). Still, I found that I had to try on literally hundreds of suits before I found a couple that fit my breasts. I had actually bought a bunch of swimsuit bottoms in dark colors separately (on clearance at Target, Eddie Bauer, Marshalls, etc.), since those were easy to find and really cheap, and then invested in a couple bright color or print tankini tops.

Land's End was a lifesaver for me too. The one inside Sears here in MA still had a decent seleciton of swimsuit separates on clearance.

lks
10-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I am a 34DD and I LOVE swimsuits by ATHLETA. The company was just recently purchased by Gap/Banana Republic, and I haven't ordered a suit from them since the buyout, but I LOVE MY SUITS from there.

They also have an amazing return policy. When I ordered my first suit, I had no idea what to order and was nervous since I couldn't see it in a store. They told me I could buy the suit, take it to Hawaii, roll around in the sand for 5 days, and if I still didn't like the suit, send it back no questions asked. Awesome.

They are also great on the phone for helping determine what size to order. Their bikini bottoms (I wear with a tankini top) are so comfy and don't pinch at your hips, so there's no gross muffin top.

Good luck!

secchick
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I am curently a 32/34 G. Normally when not nursing I am a 32 D and I used to think the underwire was a necessity it's not if you go with a full coverage top with molded cups and halter or crossed straps. I finally found a bathing suit that would fit on top and that there was no chance I'd pop out of. Try Land's End. They have a lot of variety and I think you can search my cups size (and if you searc ny DD or larger you can see the tops designed for max support). They had super cute tankini tops and are very supportive and not old lady. I even got the swim skirt bottom because I'd had a baby in April and it was sporty looking, not something I would have envisioned on my mother.

mommylamb
10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I always buy swim suits from Eddie Bauer because they have the kind with underwire.

tamie
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I buy from Lands End- love their suits and the support for my DD's!

Jen841
10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Soft cups do it for me. Love their suits!

khalloc
10-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I just really liked that pattern on the suit.

I already have a few nice suits with underwire. ONe coco reef, and one gottex. But that one just caught my eye. I've seen lands end ones too but the colors and patterns just look boring or for someone older. I will try aletha though. I have wanted to before but most of their underwires are for halter tops and I like tank-style tankinis better. (except for this ebay one!)

smilequeen
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I have bigger than a D cup and I have gotten suits from Athleta and Lands End that work out well. I buy a bigger top at Athleta b/c I'm more of an F cup, but I buy the tops with the side ties so I can cinch the too loose waist area in. They both have a D and DD size.

I loved this style from Athleta this summer. It's a little more stylish on than LE

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46667&vid=1&pid=683903