PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Annual exam and 5 year old.

lilycat88
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
My DH informed me last night that his business trip today will end up being an overnight trip. I have my annual exam scheduled for tomorrow morning at 7:30. This stupid appointment has been reschduled 3 times already since June because of Dr. confilcts or my conflicts. I REALLY don't want to reschedule it again. But, I'll have to have DD with me. There isn't any other way. Problem? Do you think they would let me have her sit outside the room and color? Stay in the room? Argh.

Thoughts?

Wife_and_mommy
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd have her sit outside the room while the actual exam is done. I think a 5yo could handle that since it doesn't usually take long.

Take this from someone who has to emotionally prepare herself for annuals. I could not be dealing with questions about it on top of having to do it!

I get shivers just thinking about it....

mecawa
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Would a nurse/asst. be willing to wait with her outside the door? When I was pregnant with DD2, DD1 (she was 4 1/2 at the time) came to most of my appts, and at the end they ended up needing to check my cervix kind of unexpectantly, and one of the med. asst. took her outside the room to color, it was like less than a minute.

billysmommy
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
The exam rooms at my OB's have a curtain that is pulled so when they open the door you're not exposed to the hallway. I've had ds sit behind that curtain and color while I've had an exam done. That way he's still in the room but can't see anything

o_mom
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I would say either sit outside and color or have her sit up by your head and color for the pelvic and on the other side of the room for the breast exam. I know my OB is really good at keeping everything covered except what they are looking at right then, so I doubt there would be much of a view. If you have any kind of handheld game (Leapster/Pixter/DS) that might be more engaging than coloring. ;)

traciann
10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
my 4 year old came to my ob visits and when the dr had to check me she just stood by my head and talked with me. it was totally fine. they cover you with a sheet, so its not like she would be able to see a whole lot anyway. i would bring her and have her sit/stand by your head during the exam.

Elilly
10-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I would let her go in and stand next to you during the exam. To me, this is an awesome opportunity to talk about "girl" parts and let her know about safe vs unsafe touching. JMHO.

hobie
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I would let her go in and stand next to you during the exam. To me, this is an awesome opportunity to talk about "girl" parts and let her know about safe vs unsafe touching. JMHO.

This, exactly.

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
My ds came with me when I had my IUD out when he was 5yo. That was a fun discussion. :rolleyes:

Take her and let her be in with you. I think it is always a good thing to treat this stuff as normal and natural.

Beth

Laurel
10-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Yep, I'd do the same. DD has been with me for a vaginal ultrasound and she was completely unscathed. Just have her stand up by your head.

ETA: my eyebrow lady once told me that she's had moms bring their kids in with them during Brazilian bikini waxes! Not a learning opportunity in quite the same way!

BarbieSmith
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Count me as someone who purposefully brings *either* her 3 or 4 year old with her to doctor's exams - as long as they are routine exams. I think it is good for them to see that I (almost) enjoy them, that there is little to be afraid of, and that I am thankful I have good care.

The only caveat: one time I needed an unexpected x-ray. And it traumatized my then-3-year old because a stranger (nurse) had to watch her for 5 minutes in an unfamiliar setting. She really was terrorized, and that was a setback for us.

citymama
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Can you have her stay in the room with you and color, but the curtain drawn? My OB/CNM's office has a curtain for exactly this purpose - kid is in same room for safety, but you have privacy.

At 5, I wouldn't want to have seen a pap smear being performed. At 36 it's hard enough to think about a speculum insertion. You want her education about female anatomy to be associated with positive thoughts, not negative (lying supine with your legs apart while someone puts a metal object inside you.) At the same time, I think including her in the visit makes her feel like it is routine/ordinary, which is a good way to approach doctor's visits!

lilycat88
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm all for taking her. The more I think about it, I think I'm more worried about getting her and ME out the door at 7:00 in the morning without DH's help. :hysterical: