PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding and birth control ... what do you use?

Andi98989
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Curious to hear what people are using and what their experiences are. From what I've read, it sounds like the main options are mini-pill or an IUD (I'm not comfortable with charting to avoid). Also, I have endometriosis and loved the way Nuva Ring helped clear up a lot of my symptoms while I was on that. I'm wondering if these options will help in the same way?

My doctor and I quickly chatted about it last week and will talk more about it in a few weeks, but I'd like to have a bit of information before that. Thanks!

elektra
10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
bump!
Currently I am using condoms but mainly abstinence!
I would totally do IUD if I had not had my past ectopic pregnancies.
DH and I just had another vasectomy convo this morning, since that is what we will eventually do (I hope).
I am nervous about the minipill, as my anti-seizure meds interfere with any hormonal BC, making both of the medications less effective. Not good on either front.
I did Nuvaring while still nursing DD and my supply really dropped, FYI. It's what my OB prescribed but he wasn't really clued into my BF needs.

I am seriously more scared about getting pregnant now that I ever have been in my life, like even worse than when I was with boyfriends pre DH!

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Ds1- mini pill, eventually got an IUD
ds2- IUD at 8w (barrier methods prior)

Love my IUD because I am horrible with remembering to take pills. I have only ever used the copper IUD b/c I had no desire for more hormones. I also knew that as much as I would like no regular pd I knew I would spend a fortune on pg tests if I didn't get it (Mirena can make your period really light or non existent).

Beth

mommyp
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I have an IUD (Mirena). I still get a period, but it's lighter than my normal. I didn't actually get my period back until I completely weaned DD at 16 months. Prior to that I didn't know if my lack of it was due to BF or Mirena, I guess it was some of both.

Katigre
10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Barrier methods.

pb&j
10-07-2009, 04:03 PM
bump!
I am seriously more scared about getting pregnant now that I ever have been in my life, like even worse than when I was with boyfriends pre DH!

:yeahthat:

I have a Mirena, and DH will be getting snipped.

catroddick
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Mirena here. Havent really discussed what will happen after that. I've got 5 years before I need to worry about it.

catsnkid
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
mini pill here. I'm nervous about Mirena.

Kitten007
10-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Mini pill. I take my vitamin, calcium, and pill every morning when I first wake up.

jenfromnj
10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Mini pill (Micronor), but am seriously considering an IUD since we are not planning to have a second child anytime soon, if at all.

okinawama
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
condoms and natural family planning