PDA

View Full Version : ISO Signing Time DVDs

pillsnberries
10-07-2009, 03:24 PM
DD has speech delay and therapist recommended getting these to teach her some signs. Anyone seen a good deal on them lately? TIA!

wendibird22
10-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Best Buy has Signing Time tv show vols 1-3 and 4-7 for $14.99 each. We have these 2 sets and DD loves them. Good variety of topics: sports, days of the week, weather, birthday, seasons, movement, etc. DD is 26mos and really likes watching them and I'm amazed at what she picks up in a short amount of time. The other day she did the sign for "seasons" out of nowhere while at the dinner table and she hasn't watched that episode in at least a month and even then has probably only watched it once or twice. I think 7 DVDs for $30 is a bargain.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=262A9E1170E3C6B037E0069CB71 137C1.bbolsp-app04-19?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=4665496772986014001&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=signing+time&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

pillsnberries
10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
thanks! Anyone know what the difference is between Baby Signing Time and Signing Time? Does your child like one over the other?

urquie
10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
from the little i've seen of baby singing time, i prefer the regular signing time. simply because, in the baby version, it was younger kids doing the signs, so less obvious what the actual sing was. who knows, maybe i should have given it more time, but both my kids did great with the first series.

vball4all
10-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I have the baby versions and I also have the set(s) from Best Buy (it also has a CD!).

My girls are 18 months now - and they LOVE the baby version. Rachel does the real sign - and yes - the babies attempt to sign - but my girls do most of the signs correctly. It is more of an animated theme for the main charachters (alex, leah, hopkins), whereas the non-baby version has real kids (and a fake hopkins). I think Alex and Leah are Rachel's daughter and nephew (from the credits).

So - I think it just depends on how old your kids are.

Maybe check your library and see if they have them - and make a decision based on that.

wendibird22
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
We have Baby Signing Time as well. Started that with DD when she was about 8mos. She liked that for quite a while and will still request it. But, now that she's 2 she really prefers the regular version...less cartoon and she likes watching the kids.

ourbabygirl
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I checked out a Baby Signing Time DVD (volume 2, that's all they had), and a regular Signing Time from the library. I had to hurry up and return them, so I only watched a bit of the baby one, but it was cute. I was worried the regular one would be too old, but it sounds like maybe not?
I had looked on Amazon, eBay, and Barnes & Noble and Borders, but the Best Buy one sounds like a good deal.
Thanks! ;)

kristac
10-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Check your local PBS station as well. Mine runs the series every once in awhile so I cue it all up on the DVR.

kayte
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Check your local PBS station as well. Mine runs the series every once in awhile so I cue it all up on the DVR.

They are no longer airing on PBS. (It is expensive and restrictive on advertising so they decided not to again unless they find a corporate sponsor)

ourbabygirl
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Good to know it's not just my area that doesn't have them on tv! I checked a while back and was bummed to not find them up there.
Stopped in to Best Buy to buy a couple of the sets, but the guy checked on their computer and said you can only order them online. So I may go ahead and do it :) (he thought they charge $2 or something to ship).

emschwar
10-09-2009, 09:00 AM
You can buy them at signingtime.com today only with a 35% discount on single dvds using code RACHEL35.

goldenpig
10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
The 35% off code (RACHEL35) that PP mentioned is also good for flash cards and board books in addition to single DVDs at signingtime.com, but it expires today. It's her 35th birthday today so everything is 35% off. I just ordered a bunch...my daughter watches the Season 2 sets we bought at Best Buy over and over and I need new ones!