PDA

View Full Version : Petunia Picklebottom backpack v. messenger bag

ryanmom
10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been admiring the PP diaper bags but I"m a first time mom to be and don't know if the messenger bag one is big enough... any thoughts on the backpack v. the messenger bag and these bags in general? I know there is a sale coming up and I thought I'd get some feedback before making any purchases.

azzeps
10-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Hello!

I've been looking at diaper bags because I'm going to get my SIL one for her birthday.... she's due with her first and her birthday is next week. So I asked her what she wants, and she really has her heart set on PPB bags. She wants one in glazed fabric that is wipeable. Anyhow, I went to Nordstrom to check out the backpack bag, and was not all that impressed. For what you pay, I think there are better bags. I liked the backpack bag because you could carry it over the shoulder and as a backpack, but discovered that the backpack totally digs into your shoulders. The sales person pointed that out to me, and I tried it on... the clips really do dig in. Also, if you are going to carry bottles, the bottle pockets seemed kind of skinny and hard to get things in and out. The flap on the backpack also closes with velcro, which is noisy and sometimes can catch on things. The sales lady said that all the first time moms want the PPB bags, but then they come back six months later and get a JuJuBe, because those are so much more "mom-friendly". JuJuBe is the other brand that they have there, and I was really impressed by a lot of the features on those bags as opposed to the PPB. Sorry I can't compare the messenger bag with the backpack/combo bag, but I would probably rule out that style if you really want to actually carry it as a backpack. If you didn't care, then it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

aajamu
10-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I really love my PPB backpack - I like it over the shoulder bag because I need the backpack option (2 small kids, always running) and the shoulder bag does NOT have adjustable straps.

I'm not a first time mom, and I've also tried the JJB Packabe (backpack) and I definitely, without a doubt, 100% prefer the boxy backpack. I had my first PPB backpack when I had my first DS a few years ago and it lasted three years. I've tried other bags - Skip Hop, OiOi, Storksak, JJB, and a few others. After trying others out, I've returned to PPB. I have a newer glazed one now, as well as a PPB touring tote and love them both.

Why do I love it? Let me count the many ways...

1. PPB boxy backpack has FOUR sippy pockets, and they DO fit larger (18 oz.) Klean Kanteens - both the inside and outside pockets fit them. The pockets are also taller than the JJB Packabe, which I really appreciated. I carry 2 sippies for each kid, plus a thermos of coffee/tea for myself.

2. The straps were comfy to me. They never dug into my shoulders or back (I'm 5'9). I have worn my PPB backpack fully loaded on 3 hour hikes, actually, without any issues. DH has too and no problems there either (he's 6'1).

3. Changing compartment allows me to just put the bag down and change - no fussing with finding a changing pad and wipes, you just undo the zips with one hand and you are set. Changing pad is long enough for older toddlers.

4. Roomy but not gigantic

5. Interior pockets are fabric, not mesh. I have this thing against mesh pockets - just cheaper looking, tend to tear. Great organization.

6. Wipe clean exterior for glazed fabrics. Glazed bags look new after years. I prefer wipe clean to washable, since I don't like to have to empty my bag of all contents to wash it, then wait for it to dry, and hope the machine does not cause any tears, fading, or damage. You can easily wipe interior of the PPB bag too.

7. Velcro doesn't bother me. I wish the flap wasn't there, but it wasn't a big deal. I prefer velcro to weak magnets (Skip Hop bags) or super strong magnets that might wipe out small electronics. When you wash a bag with magnets, especially darker bags, sometimes the magnets will leave indentations or marks you can see from exterior.

Well, as you can tell, I love my PPB bags. Sort of a fanatic. Not sure why I ever strayed from that brand. I'm not a retail clerk, but I am something of a diaper bag junkie (and mom of two boys), and I recommend boxy backpacks to new moms I know - they are perfect size for all the stuff you need with a newborns!

seedoubleyou
10-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I own both PPB and JJB along with other brands of less importance. Overall I prefer JJB. For looks, the PPB is more aesthetic if in brocade, as the glazed does look a little cheap (especially with the velcro) it's afterall laminated canvas (cheap material) if it were not for the nice elegant prints, it'd look like 1001 budget bags you can get from places like BRU or Etsy. I have PPB in both brocade and glazed. PPB bags are huge and heavy when empty, JJB are sized just right for 1-2 babies/kids. PPB Boxy backpack's great for 2 or more kids.

What I like about the PPB Boxy is that it can be laid on the changing table right beside baby as the changing pad is part of the bag. JJB bags can't.

Why I am loving JJB over PPB is the wash factor. All JJB bags can be machined washed and are dryer safe (low heat). Moreover JJB has anti-bacterial/fungal/microbe lining that kills icky stuff on contact.

JJB has a better backpack than the Packabe called the Be Right Back, and it has padded comfy straps. You can try that.

I'd say why not get both and see? If you don't like either you can return it or resell it. After all you'd see you just can't have ONE diaper bag.

seedoubleyou
10-23-2009, 02:47 AM
Back to your question, backpack or messenger? For very young babies before they can walk I'd say messenger. When they start to run, I'd say backpack so you have both arms free to grab hold of them in emergencies :D