PDA

View Full Version : Book storage help

pinkmomagain
10-07-2009, 04:05 PM
So being the 3rd, dd3 has inherited a TON of books. It's time to transform her baby room into a young girl's room and I'm trying to figure out how exactly to store/display her books. I can't imagine that one bookcase will be enough! Does anyone have creative ways of containing books while still allowing easy access to them for dc?

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Baskets or canvas bins (like the Cubical ones at Target)? You could either just put them on the floor or on a book case (plain or like the Expedit).

Beth

pinkmomagain
10-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Beth. I already have several baskets and bins filled with books. It's 1) tough to dig through them and 2) they take up alot of floor space. As I mentioned, I think our collection exceeds a single bookcase. Maybe I need to do some editing of our collection (hate to) or maybe there is some under bed storage situation I can look into.

hellokitty
10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I would edit the collection and also put books that are above her level away and swap out books as she grows into them and out of others. I am going to have to do the same thing for my DS3 too.

Ceepa
10-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Can you set up a reading nook for the girls somewhere else in the house n addition to their rooms?

hillview
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
We have this and it holds a TON of books:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7CRR307~~.jsp

/hillary

Melaine
10-07-2009, 07:23 PM
There was a thread awhile back about using rain gutters....it was so cool! I'll look for it.

Melaine
10-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I think this is it: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=330448&highlight=book+gutter

pinkmomagain
10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Melaine, for digging up that thread! We have a history of having a hard time getting things up on our walls, so I think the gutters are out...but there were some good bookcase ideas in that thread.

That Lakeshore Learning link looks like it holds a TON of books...that may be a good possibility.

I am going to have to edit some more...I hate to start getting rid of board books because I'm thinking they might be useful when dd starts reading soon...but maybe I can box some up and get rid of others.

Thanks to all for these great suggestions.

egoldber
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
We have a long,wide hallway upstairs where the bedrooms are. I have 2 bookshelves set up side by side up there. They are maybe 44" high and about the same wide. Each has 3 shelves and it holds a lot of books. I like that they are accessible, but not in their rooms.