PDA

View Full Version : Imaginext v Megarig

10-08-2009, 01:11 PM
DS will be 4 a week before Thanksgiving. He really wants a space shuttle for either his birthday or Christmas. Last year, I was able to get the Megarig shuttle set on Amazon for $24 for a 5 year old nephew and it was a huge hit. I've seen the imaginext shuttle at Target and am pretty sure that DS would love it as well. Is it really worth the $ difference to get the Megarig v Imaginext? Do you think it will go on sale again at Amazon in December?

DS also really likes the Imaginext pirate ship. I've looked online and compared the new Megarig one with the Imaginext one and honestly think I like the Imaginext one better. Anyone have any experience with either?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and an almost mobile 5 month old at home (the baby back scoots) so I worry about small pieces. DS is not responsible about picking up his toys--he does try but he misses a lot when there are pieces.

Thank you,

Christine W

kristac
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
We have the Mega Rigs Shuttle and my 4.5 and 2.5 year olds LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't know if it will be back on sale though this year- you might be able to score one one craigslist, etc. It seems like this year's Mega Rig is the Pirate Ship.
Mega Rig: More creativity- you can put it together alot of different ways- including having multiple rockets/ shuttles at once so it's fun with playmates,
Compatable with other Mega Rigs sets, More realistic, Less sounds (the alien ship does make sounds but the shuttle itself does not. I can see it having longer play value then the Imaginext line. However there are more small parts and also quite a few "weapons".
Imaginext: theoretically compatible with other Imaginext though it seems they have changed the scale of the line in the past. Less small pieces. More lights/ sounds. My boys probably would not play with the tower part.
Personally I am glad we got the Mega Rig Shuttle and would buy it again.

We are also looking at pirate ships this year. I think the Imaginext one looks more fun then the Mega Rigs one- however I am still concidering the Mega Rigs one since we have other Mega Rig sets it is compatable with and also I am ASSuming it can go in the water which the Imaginext one does not. We have the Mega Rigs Shark Ship and it is a favorite bath toy so the Pirate Ship would compliment it as well. Again I think the Mega Rigs line may have longer play value. I am also concidering a playmobil Pirate Ship- not sure which one.

Tondi G
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
DS got the megarig space shuttle last year for christmas from my sister. He begs for the Imaginext one every time he sees it in a store. I think he likes the idea of the docking station that the Imaginext includes.

My 4 year old also wants the Imaginext Batcave!

katydid1971
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM
FWIW Looking at both online it looks like to me that the Imaginext has fewer small pieces. Because you have the two little ones around the house I would be more inclined to get the imaginext.