PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues/pacifiers etc

lara73
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I've created a monster! Probably rookie mistakes but am looking for advice Love the book but need some strategies for breaking these bad habits that are age appropriate. My 8 month old uses a pacifier for sleeping, is breastfeeding (after going down at 7pm) at 930p, 1230-130am, 4-5am and then awakening at 730am. She is currently teething and is earpulling alot when the pacifier is in or she is breastfeeding (but has also just started swimming lessons.? H20 in ears). And due to trying to allow my hardworking husband to sleep I have been sleeping in spare bed in her room and pullin her into bed with me at 4-5am feed. When I put her back in her cot instead she just wakes up at 630am - for the day!!Ive tried giving her water at 130am because I'm thinking that technically she shouldnt be hungry, but she just gets mad and screams the house down. My question is thus for all those experienced moms. What should I eliminate 1st? I would like to get her off the pacifier as I know it is bad for the ears, and I would dearly love not to have to get up several times a night to breastfeed and have her "self-settle" which by the way she does during the day for her naps!! Oh she also has begun with the whole separation anxiety during the day.- Not a minutes peace!! Am I being unrealistic with the timing of trying to break these habits due to ears/teeth/anxiety or should I start with one before the other ie pacifier before trying not to breastfeed in the night. Any suggestions would be gratefully received -cheers!!

truly scrumptious
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
We had this exact same thing happen with DS at about 8 months. He suddenly started waking up to feed in the middle of the night two or three times, after he has basically been sleeping through the night for a few weeks. He also uses a pacifier and started to have separation anxiety during the day.
We chose to deal with the waking-to-feed problem first (sleep was our priority!) We started keeping an emergency bottle by the bed (by this time he was FF at night, and only BF during the day - again so we could sleep.) We would give him the minimum amount of milk to settle him (2 oz) and then substitute with a water bottle quickly. We found he would start out eating and then settle back down pretty quickly with a little water. (Of course, then we had to start dealing with night waking because of a diaper, so we started using superabsorbent night diapers!) Anyway, maybe you could try something similar to what we did - when she first wakes, try the pacifier. If it doesn't work, try water. If it doesn't work, try a little milk (in your case, BF a little.) Switch to water. Put in pacifier. Put him (her) down.
Once he stopped waking to feed, we found he would still wake for the pacifier, so we put two pacifiers in the crib, and waited him out when he'd wake crying - giving him a chance to find them. He usually found them within 30 seconds to a minute, and now has become mostly self-sufficient with the pacifier. (We still haven't figured out how to break that habit, but we're enjoy some uninterrupted sleep before we try!)
Hope this helps - good luck!