PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to sell on eBay?

Kymberley
10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I've got a lot of random stuff that I need to get out of here. Before DS came along, I was quite the spender. Lots of nice shoes, purses, etc. need to go! So is it difficult to sell on eBay? I'm afraid of the loser buyers that don't pay and will end up wasting my time. But, I need the money from this stuff, so I'm kind of motivated. Kind of. Anyone with experience have words of wisdom before I delve into this? Thanks!

clc053103
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I cleared out my handbag collection and sold on ebay. Here's what I did- I am by no means a pro but it worked well!

I put about 3 up a week to keep it managable. first, I cleaned everything, and looked up the official names on line (in the case of designer bags) if possible. I then took photos of each bag on all sides and inside (if it is a COACH bag, you must take a picture of the creed- it's the way people spot fakes). Review a few entries for similar products before you list yours. I then listed the item with a .99 opening bid to generate interest, and no reserve. I offered USPS shipping to make my life easier, and you can go to the post office to get flat rate boxes to take the guesswork out of shipping costs. Watching the bidding and the watchers became quite a fun hobby! And if you google the subject, you will find lots of tips!

My one big tip would be to note right in the auction that item will be relisted if not paid for within 48 hours of close (or 72 hours) because people don't seem to be afraid of non paying bidder strikes anymore and just bid and don't pay.

KrisM
10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
My one big tip would be to note right in the auction that item will be relisted if not paid for within 48 hours of close (or 72 hours) because people don't seem to be afraid of non paying bidder strikes anymore and just bid and don't pay.

However, if you do relist and the person pays on day 3, they can report you as a unresponsive seller, or something like that. If they don't pay, you can file an Unpaid Item Dispute on day 8 and then they have another 7 days to pay. If they still don't, you can then relist without worries.

amldaley
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I have sold maybe 10 items are so and never had an issue. I had one buyer who took longer than 3 days to pay, but she wrote and apologized and on day 5 I had payment.

It's worth a try for some items. But for other things, I would sell on your local Craigslist. We have something here called yardsales.com (ours is lejeuneyardsales.com, there is also wilmingtonyardsales.com, etc) I have had wonderful sales on there - everything from furniture to baby gear - sold!

Kymberley
10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I have sold maybe 10 items are so and never had an issue. I had one buyer who took longer than 3 days to pay, but she wrote and apologized and on day 5 I had payment.

It's worth a try for some items. But for other things, I would sell on your local Craigslist. We have something here called yardsales.com (ours is lejeuneyardsales.com, there is also wilmingtonyardsales.com, etc) I have had wonderful sales on there - everything from furniture to baby gear - sold!

Do you worry about people coming to your house when you use Craigslist or anything like it? I have to admit, it kind of creeps me out having strangers stop by. I guess you could always meet at a neutral location...

jacksmomtobe
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I stick to Ebay because I've had some friends have weird experiences with Craig's List. I think Ebay works esp well for clothing and other smaller items where shipping isn't complicated. I've sold since 2006 and done well. It gets easier as you do it because you figure out your own process. You take a picture, write up a description and set a price. You can create a template and then just modify it for each item. It's especially easy if your items fit in a flat rate box as another poster mentioned so you know the postage amt exactly or for me I sell clothing so I know how much it costs me to ship an item in a priority envelope. I always ship priority with delivery confirmation so I know the item gets there quickly and have proof of delivery if necessary. I've yet to have anyone not pay me or dispute delivery of an item. I do have a line in my std description that I expect payment within 3 days. That way if I don't have it by that time frame I can follow up with the winning bidder. I sell kids clothing and items and I do feel a bit more protected since your dealing with a subset of the population rather than any random person however hopefully most people are honest out there. You definitely learn tricks and theories the more you sell on how to sell items.

Good Luck!

KrisM
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
For actually answering your question...

It's not hard to sell on ebay, but it is some work. Take a photo, upload it, write a description, set shipping, answer questions, ship. I've been selling for a few years and I enjoy it.

For clothes and small stuff, I ship first class. I charge a $.70 handling fee to cover my mailer and delivery confirmation. ALWAYS use delivery confirmation! For things over 13 oz, I ship priority mail.

Learn to print postage online - delivery confirmation is free for priority mail and only $.18 for first class. Plus, if you have at least 1 priority mail, the post office will pick it up at your house for free.

I rarely auction. Instead, I use 30-day fixed price. I set the price I want and I usually get it. After 7 days, I add Best Offer. After another 7, I might lower the price a bit and drop Best Offer. After another 7, I add Best Offer back on. After that, if I still have it, I auction it. Unless I know it's a hot item, I don't start at $.99. If you do and only get 1 bidder, you'll have to sell for $.99, so make sure you're happy with that. I generally start my auctions at the absolute lowest I am willing to take for the item.

You have to ship within 7 days of receiving cleared payment, to be protected by paypal, so make sure you'll be able to do that when listing. Don't list too many right away your first few times. My first couple months, it would take me hours to package and ship! Tonight, I have 16 things to ship, and I bet it'll take me about an hour.

Make sure you know how it'll ship - box, mailer, etc. And, make sure you have the actual box you need on hand so that you know that it meets USPS dimensions. Priority boxes are free at the post office or you can order them in 25 box groups for free delivery. Don't ship in a cereal box :). Seriously, I got a dress sent to me this way. Not impressed!

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

vejemom
10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Back when I had no feedback on Ebay, I used an online drop auction service to sell a couple really big ticket, designer items. Paypal sort of vouches for you by authenticating you. But I didn't think I'd get many takers on a $1000 item if it was the first item I ever sold on Ebay. Now I've got a decent number of feedbacks built up, so I sell everything myself.

I generally like Craigslist. Everyone I've dealt with on there has been a nice, normal person. I just feel it is more work than Ebay. You have to answer emails, set up appointments to sell the item, etc. And unless it is something small enough to be toted to a neutral location, you have to worry about who is coming to your house. I hate to admit this, but I generally screen out male buyers in favor of women if they're coming to my house to pick up the item. I also find I give subtle preference to buyers emailing from their company account. We also have an enormous dog, and I mention his presence to potential buyers. I couch it in concern for them (i.e., are they comfortable with dogs), but the idea is for them to know he's there.

MoJo
10-09-2009, 08:09 AM
You've gotten lots of good advice! It's not hard, & it can be fun.

To avoid deadbeats, you can refuse bids from people with negative feedback (automatically, electronically) or from people outside your country if you don't want to deal with international payments and shipping. Those are part of the choices when you set up your listing.

We've only once had someone not pay. And in that case, we still had the item in our possession and could sell to someone else who will pay.

There's a "What's my item worth?" tab on the selling page that lets you know what similar items have sold for in the past three weeks.

I assume you have a paypal account. It has greatly simplified the process for us. (We started back when sellers could still accept money orders.)

We always use the auction, because we often don't have a good idea what our items are worth.

ITA with PPs: only a few at a time, at least until you are comfortable with the shipping process; not your best stuff first (you want to establish good recent feedback first); have your shipping supplies ready before you start the auction (nothing like selling an item and not being able to find a box to ship it in - BTDT!); ship within 7 days (sooner is better) and ALWAYS get delivery confirmation. And start at a price you're willing to sell at, because otherwise something will only get one bid and you'll be forced to give it away (BTDT too).

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Melaine
10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Do you worry about people coming to your house when you use Craigslist or anything like it? I have to admit, it kind of creeps me out having strangers stop by. I guess you could always meet at a neutral location...

I have had some great experiences with CL and have actually met some really nice people and done multiples transactions with quite a few. I only have some one come to my house after I have spoken to them on the phone and when my husband is home. I typically meet them in the TRU or Target parking lot, in the food court of the mall or something like that. I do think you need to be wary but you can set some rules to protect yourself.

SammyeGail
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I wanted to add what advice I was given on here when I asked about a year ago, what I remember, lol!

Someone told me the first few things I sold, sell things I 'didn't really care what I got for them', as in don't list Hanna Andersson with no seller feedback-buyers don't know anything about you so don't know how accurate your description really is. As for selling now I do an advanced search on completed listings, thats helps to know what things are going for, if its a good time.

First set of things I sold were my twins out-grown Stride-Rites, they don't re-sell that wonderfully, but I actually did ok. I cleaned them really, really well (Dawn and cheap toothbrush:)-put on leather conditioner) picked my best pic and looked at other descriptions of sellers that were good and kind of pieced mine from that. I didn't copy anyone, lol, just little touches. I personally don't like really short descriptions. Like: Mini Boden 3-4 top-used condition. Hello? This is Mini-Boden, give some more info, lol! Thats just for expensive items, kwim?

I go by ebays guildlines, (what they were last time, lol) I say I appreciate payment within 3 days and expect payment within 7. I've never had anyone pay after 3, I've sold maybe 50 items-shoes/clothes.

The only bad things I have come across were my last listings, some Boden tops, my second set. There were 3. I got a sinus infection, DS had a sinus infection, it was a 7 day auction. When there were 3 days left I had only 3-4 watchers on 2, 1 watcher on the other, NO bids, starting price at 6.99. I felt so miserable, DS was driving me crazy, so that night I decided to end my auctions because I felt so crappy and didn't want them to happen to go for 6.99, kwim?

One crazy lady sent me like 4-5 mssgs demanding I relist one of the tops. She wanted it relisted at 9.99 BIN w/ free shipping (what would I net, $5 and some change!?!). I replies to her once, greatly appreciated her interest, but the tops were not longer for sale, very nice. She kept sending mssgs, it really bugged me but I just had to hold myself back from replying. I will be adding her as a 'blocked' bidder, lol!

Other wise it is very fun as PP's have mentioned. I bought a scale from Amazon and add about .60 to my shipping for packing and stuff, I don't tell that in my listing. I bought a 50 pack of tyvek envelopes last Dec. on a sale day from Office Depot. Bought a gigantic pack of plain white tissue paper from Costco at holiday time also. I have started saving all my Boden and Hanna tissue paper to put around my stuff to resell, just thought it would be a nice touch.

sorry to go on and on, it is fun and to check in and see a new bid on your item. The last 3 minutes are fun also, one of my Boden shirts went from $15 to $25 at the end last time, I almost died!

Sam

amldaley
10-09-2009, 06:37 PM

We have done both. We sold some furniture and my DH was here with me. If he wasn't, I would have had a neighbor "standing by." We once went to buy a chair from a single mom and she had her mom on the phone with her the whole time we were there.

Other things, we have met in the Target parking lot to trade off. I have never had someone put off by this. They all seem very accomodating.

I recently met a seller who actually has a schedule of locations and times people can collect from her. Different days of the week, different locations around town.

Then again, I live in a military town in coastal NC and rarely worry about safety issues as we did when we lived in bigger cities. If something happened and I so much as let out a scream, there would be 20 Marines within earshot. I'm lucky :love-retry: ( I :love5: Marines!!!)