PDA

View Full Version : need convertible seat recommendation

GracieCat
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I have 1 mo old son, 10 lbs, 23" and need a second car seat. He's much longer than anyone thought he'd be since DH and I are shorties. Ped says we'll have a better idea of his projected growth in a few more months. He is currently in a Snugride 32 in the middle, which I love except it's now too heavy for me to move in and out of the car. We got another infant carrier except I don't like how it fits him (Safety 1st cheapo) and have never used it. I will be going back to work shortly and we'll need 2 seats. I don't really want to buy another $60 base since I can't really use the portability factor and it seems a waste since we'll need a bigger seat anyway.

What would be the top choices for a convertible seat? I would like something that has a long life span. Something from Britax? We have an 04 CRV and 07 Avalon, both have big back seats. He is an only child, but we frequently have other adults in the back, particularly for longer trips. Money is not an issue. I would like the easy adjust straps like on the SR32, breatheable fabric and comfy for long road trips.

Thanks for all your advice!

arivecchi
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
How about a Radian XT SL? Radians are supposed to be great for newborns, the XT SL has a 45 pound rear facing weight limit (so your child could rear face to 4 or 5), they fold flat for travel and are narrow so they allow you to use more of your back seat. I also love the Britax Boulevard as well, but that has a 35 pound rear facing limit.

GraceH
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
A few thoughts on your SnugRide32:

I don't know where you are, but to us the option to take the SR32 in during inclement/winter weather was invaluable (we're in Chicagoland & did 2 winters with it... don't know what we'll do this year without it :( )
We only have the one base while using multiple cars, but the base-less install of the SR32 is pretty stinking simple :thumbsup:
Also, nothing says you have to carry the car seat with baby in it... there were times that I carried the SR32 over my shoulder, a la backpack style with DS on the opposite hip :p
Although the center is your safest bet, the side seat is not terrible... we have the SR32 behind the driver's seat in all cars... more easier to lift in & out of car since it's closer to your center of gravity than the center spot
Don't panic about growth yet... 1 mo. is not by any means a pattern... DS was 9lb4oz & 22+" at birth and is just now getting out of his seat at almost 2 yr old :yay: