PDA

View Full Version : Would you have your child "sign" this?

sarahsthreads
10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
So the school sent home a document entitled "XYZ School District Internet and Electronic Mail Acceptable Use Policy". We are supposed to review it with our child and have her sign that she has read and understands it, and we need to sign that we have reviewed it with her and we give permission for her to use the internet and email through the school.

This happens twice in their schooling: before the first time they use the internet, and in 7th grade. However, the document is *exactly* the same - so the language is way over and beyond what even my advanced reader could reasonably understand, and IMO way too mature in content. In the list of things that are prohibited:

"Use of the Internet or e-mail to access sexually oriented/adult oriented chat rooms..."
"Forwarding, downloading or transmitting any profane, obscene, offensive, abusive, sexually oriented, racially offensive, threatening or defamatory language materials."
...and it goes on in this fashion for several other points.

I get what they're trying to do. I really do. And I understand that they need parental permission to allow the young kids on the internet in the first place. But I can't in good conscience have my child sign that she has read and understood the rules and terms of use, because I am not about to sit down with her and explain what a sexually oriented chat room is at the tender age of FOUR.

I really feel like this is over the top for kindergarten students, and while I understand that a teacher is not going to be able to fully supervise 20 students on the internet at the same time, if they have a content filter (which they state they do in this document) shouldn't it be enough that the kids have parental permission?

Would you sign it yourself and write that your child has your permission to access the internet and that she understands that she is only to visit sites specifically allowed by her teacher? It's likely that this would cause a Problem, because the form will not have been signed by the student, and she will likely not be allowed to use the computers with the rest of her class.

Would you just distill it down to: "DD1, you should never use the internet or email for anything that would hurt anyone's feelings, OK? Plus there are bad people on the internet, don't trust anyone or give out your name." and have her sign it and feel like that was good enough? (Not that I really want to have the "bad people" discussion either...)

Maybe I'm just over-thinking this? What do you all think?

Sarah

egoldber
10-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Our school has something similar. Honestly, I never thought about it. :tongue5: Ours is done annually though (and it's comprehensive, not just the internet).

Interestingly, we just had to send it back last week and a middle schooler I had over as a mother's helper one evening saw it in Sarah's backpack. She said that in middle school they had to read it and were tested on it. I thought that was kind of a good idea.

KBecks
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I would sign it and leave it at that. No biggie.

s7714
10-08-2009, 11:04 PM
We have to sign something similar, but so far in K and 1st the students haven't done anything involving the internet in the computer lab. They play educational games and that's it.

I honestly don't put much thought into the sign off form at this point. I tell DD it means she has to follow the teacher's instructions and rules when using the school computers. (She uses the internet at home and I've explained there are websites meant for kids and ones for adults that she shouldn't look at, but we have the parental controls set so she can only navigate to the sites I've set.)

dcmom2b3
10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Having a child sign anything is meaningless, legally. Sign it yourself, sign it a second time "for [insert DDs name]" after having whatever age appropriate conversation with her that you deem fit.

Is this a public school system? Honestly, it sounds like the form may be a global PK-12 type of thing generated by the school board's lawyers, without regard for age/developmental differences. Lawyers are good at exalting form and consistency over substance (or reality, for that matter).

mom2binsd
10-09-2009, 12:45 AM
We had a similar form for DD last year when she started K....but the form was designed to be signed by the parents on the child's behalf. It was stated that parents should explain it to the child and the tech teacher would also be giving out explanations and guidelines for computer use.

Maybe sign it but suggest they make it a parental consent form for the elementary level students.

katerinasmom
10-09-2009, 08:40 AM
My DD came home from Kindergarten with a similar internet policy to be signed by both the parent and child. On back-to-school night I stopped by the computer teacher's room and discussed it with her - specifically noting that I thought having my DD sign it was meaningless. Even after discussing the policy with DD she was in no way capable of understanding most of it. I suggested to the teacher that a more basic policy be prepared for the lower grades. She was very receptive to my suggestion and noted that she had not really given any thought to my points until I brought them up. She said she was just using the policy that had been in place by the teacher before her and had not really considered its usefulness with the younger children. Her response did not really give me much satisfaction as I wondered if her lack of thought meant a lazy attitude towards teaching but at least she seemed to listen to my concerns. We'll see what DD comes home with next year to find out if I was really heard.

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I had the same reservations last year. I put aside to think about how to handle it and I don't think we actually submitted it. Oops!

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I would sign it and make sure she understands that following the teacher's directions is what is important. I would rather the teachers spend more time creating applicable/engaging lessons vs. rewriting an internet use policy during their "work" time. As a former teacher, I think it is those kinds of things that are good ideas that can really overload teacher workloads.

Do you really read all the software agreements, car title, home buying papers and "agree" with them in the same way? IKWYM though and I kinda feel the same way.

sarahsthreads
10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the perspectives. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner, we were on the road all day yesterday and then the kids wouldn't sleep when we got here, of course. Sigh.

Anyway, DH and I talked about it and we're going to let DD1 sign it, but I'm going write a note to include with it that suggests that they make it a parental permission slip in the future for the little kids. It probably won't change anything, but it will make me feel better. ;)

Thanks again!
Sarah :)

bubbaray
10-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Having a child sign anything is meaningless, legally.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
10-10-2009, 05:41 PM
That sounds like it's entirely designed to limit the school's liability, not to do any good for the kids. What a waste of paper and energy.

g-mama
10-10-2009, 05:56 PM
We get this every year. I sign it, have them print their name, and send it back. Don't overthink it.