PDA

View Full Version : Just About to Lose my Mind-- Convertibles

natness
10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
OK-- DS is 14 months, 22 lbs, and nearly grown out of his Keyfit 30. Husband HATES the harness on the infant seat-- complains that it is twisty and hard to keep even and adjust. Our cars are a 1997 Honda Accord wagon (4 door) and a 1998 Honda Civic (2 door.) Neither have latch. We need to buy 2 seats. We are both rather short-- seats can be forward, but we need something we can see over if in the middle. I am overwhelmed and can't make a decision, and it doesn't help that I can't find Radians and Truefits to see in person, and can't find confirmation on the successful Raidian install thread on car-seats.org whether Radians will install in our vehicles.

So basically, I am looking for seats that have supernice, easy harnesses that rearface to at least 35 pounds that we'll be able to see over, and one seat for the two door that is easy to get in and out of (low sides.) We have $300 for both seats. Rearfacing, of course, as long as possible, and installing in the center w/lap belts.

I've been researching the Radians, RA50, EFTA, Truefits, MyRide65, etc. But am really struggling here.

Thank you, gurus!

jjordan
10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I think you can probably *fit* any convertible RF in your cars in the middle because the carseat will just go in between the two front seats. As far as seeing over them, something like a Radian might be a good bet because it has a low profile. It does have the same shell height as the big Britax seats (that is, the same measurement, although kids outgrow the Britax seats sooner by height, go figure). But being lower down, it won't stick up as far in the car. On the other hand the truefit does have a longer shell than the Britax seats, so that one might be harder to see over.

As far as low sides, the Radian is a good choice there too. And for RF the longest, the Radian is a good bet. A 40# RF limit will probably get your ds to age 4, or close to it. And then the 80SL and XTSL will RF to 45# (although my hunch is that many kids would outgrow the RF height before then).

In your price range, I'd probably try to find a good sale on the Radian 65, even one of the older (non-SL) versions. If you get return shipping insurance you'll have the option to send them back if they don't work in your car(s).

If you have a baby store nearby then you might just try whatever they have in your car to investigate the "need to see over the seat" issue.

arivecchi
10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
If you want a 40# Radian, order from diapers.com. They have them on sale and they have next day shipping and FREE returns. If you have never bought from them they also have a 10% off code for first time customers. I have a Britax Boulevard which I love, but if I were to do it over again, I would only get Radians due to the higher rear facing weight limit.

SnuggleBuggles
10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Just thought I would let you know that my Marathon installs well in my 1999 4dr Civic. :) eta- it's rearfacing since ds is only 22m and 24lbs.

Beth

natness
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Can britaxes and radians be tethered rearfacing in the center position?

arivecchi
10-09-2009, 03:30 PM
They can both be tethered rear facing. I cannot imagine why you would not be able to do it if the seat is in the center position. You just don't want to share a tether point with another car seat. I will let the techs correct me if I am wrong.