PDA

View Full Version : Canadians - what's on your menu for this weekend?

MontrealMum
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm having Thanksgiving here this year to take some of the burden off MIL since FIL is still in the hospital and she's just always so nervous and stressed out these days. Usually I do cook for US Thanksgiving as well, so it's really nothing new, and I am certainly excited to have all those leftovers twice. Yum! ;)

It will be mostly traditional this year with no "funny" experimentation since we're having MIL and potentially FIL if he's allowed out for a bit that day.

We're having:
-grain fed/free range turkey cooked low and slow the way my grandma used to
-yams (since DS actually eats these)
-mashed potatoes, probably of the cheesy variety; am going to investigate a bit about interesting things to add
-Big Hugh's stuffing (the guy I used to do Meals-on-wheels with); whole wheat bread, dried cherries, raisins, onions, and apples. It's so yummy I haven't tried a different type for 4 years running now
-turnip, or as my gema would call them, beggies
-pumpkin pie; I used to have to do a fruit pie too since DH's family doesn't really like pumpkin, but I guess I've converted them ;)
-I *might* also do green bean casserole if I have the inclination

and MIL is bringing her homemade cranberry jelly.

I can't wait. Even though this version of Thanksgiving always feels a bit early to me and it's missing some of the tradition I'm used to, it's still one of my favorite holidays :)

citymama
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians!

EllasMum
10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
We're heading to my aunt's place for turkey on Monday. I'm charged with bringing an appetizer, so I'll be bringing the traditional Mexican layer dip. ;) My mom is making cabbage rolls and I know my aunt made perogies... yum... ok i'm drooling just thinking about it!

mom2binsd
10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Oh, that sounds so good- My Polish grandma in Wainwright used to make the best pierogies!

I miss Thanksgiving in October, the trees are always so pretty, by late Nov here everything is brown and Christmas is breathing down our necks!!!

bubbaray
10-09-2009, 11:21 PM
The usual turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, some sort of green veggie (haven't decided) and sweet potato cranberry bake. Pumpkin pie, of course.

Happy Thanksgiving!

MontrealMum
10-09-2009, 11:29 PM
The usual turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, some sort of green veggie (haven't decided) and sweet potato cranberry bake. Pumpkin pie, of course.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you too!!!

What is sweet potato cranberry bake? I'm intrigued...

bubbaray
10-10-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.saveonfoods.com/foodnutrition/recipes/cranberry_sweet_potato_bake.htm

Its really very very good! :)

bubbaray
10-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Molly, can you post or PM me Big Hugh's stuffing?? :)

Also, if you have your own green bean casserole, I'd love that too. When I make it per Campbell's recipe (or is it French's), no one here likes it (except me!)

For those of you with ties to Canada & the US, there is no reason to not do 2 Thanksgivings. When I was growing up, we always did 2 Thanksgivings!

Neatfreak
10-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Any excuse to roast a turkey gets two thumbs up!

We're having

- roast turkey with stuffing (made outside the turkey)
- mashed potatoes with gravy
- cranberry sauce with port (DH made this today - it smells divine)
- roasted sweet potatoes, garlic, and carrots
- steamed brocoli

And our guests are bringing a salad, bread pudding, and pumpkin pie.

We're having three couples and their collectively six kids over. One couple is Canadian, and the other two are Americans who love any excuse for a dinner party :) I think that we'll be having more turkey come the T-Day in November ...

bubbaray
10-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Anyone made slow cooker stuffing? I did once and it was GREAT. But I can't find the recipe. I did it last year and it was soup. Ugh.

I need help. DH bought a FREAKISHLY large turkey that won't leave me room for stuffing in the oven (I too cook it separately).

HELP!

MontrealMum
10-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Melissa, that sweet potato/cran casserole looks so yummy! I will definitely try it.

Here is Big Hugh's stuffing, as best I can remember, I usually just go by feel, but I think this should be a good enough guide. It's for baking separately, though I guess you could do it inside the bird as well, it just wouldn't crisp up the same way.

Big Hugh's oven-baked stuffing

dried cherries or cranberries
raisins
4-6 apples (I prefer Granny Smith)
1 lg. or 2 sm. onions
1 pkg. celery
1 long loaf of sliced sandwich bread (we usually use POM whole grain wheat)
butter
salt
pepper
summer savory (ground)
ground sage

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Dice onions and celery and sauté. Add to cubed bread when browned. Peel and cube apples and add, along with raisins and dried cherries (I prefer these, but cranberries might be easier to find). Toss with salt, pepper, sage and summer savory - it's the summer savory that's the key, I use lots of it!

Put all ingredients in a large Pyrex - I think ours is the 4qt. size. Melt ½ cup (or enough to adequately coat) butter and pour over dry ingredients, stirring to coat. Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven. I usually cook at least 30 - 45 min, uncovering towards the end so the bread can crisp and brown. Can cook up to 1 hr w/o problems. You can also cook it for 30 min. the day before and then pop into the turkey-heated oven and let it brown while carving the turkey. [we have a serious lack of cooking space] The cooking temp and time are flexible :)

MontrealMum
10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
For the Green Bean casserole, noone liked the one on the package here either (except me!), so I now sub the Campbell's soup out for a homemade white sauce. Which has the benefit of being healthier at least (no msg and less sodium).

Basically, I do a regular white sauce which I flavor with lemon, white wine, and a pkg. of goat cheese. [It's the basic white sauce in the Joy of Cooking if you have that]

I still pour it over the frozen beans though like the Campbell's recipe, and try to add those cruncy onions but they're really hard to find here. I have been known to bring a bunch back from the US at times :) I have subbed a mix of sauteed (real) onions w/bread crumbs or cornflakes in a pinch. I don't go out of my way to add fresh mushrooms to make up for the lack of soup ones since I don't like mushrooms myself ;) DH's family eats this just fine, though I have no idea why they didn't like the very similar Campbell's version, especially since MIL is a great one for cooking casseroles w/canned soup.

MontrealMum
10-10-2009, 12:04 PM
And our guests are bringing a salad, bread pudding, and pumpkin pie.

Bread pudding - yummy! Thanks for reminding me of one of my cold weather staples. I'll have to make it soon now that fall is really here :)

EllasMum
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh, that sounds so good- My Polish grandma in Wainwright used to make the best pierogies!

I miss Thanksgiving in October, the trees are always so pretty, by late Nov here everything is brown and Christmas is breathing down our necks!!!

My mother is Ukrainian by heritage, so we always have perogies, cabbage rolls, and baked Hutterite-style sausage - IN ADDITION to all the usual turkey/fixings. We have BIG dinners. ;)

As for the pretty trees, it ain't happening this year, at least where I am! About 10 days ago it was 34 degrees, and within a week it was snowing, 10 below, and a CRAZY wind. What few leaves are still remaining on the trees after the wind, went right from green to shriveled up and brown. Sigh. So much for fall. I'll enjoy the dinner anyway. ;)