PDA

View Full Version : Question about children needing two doses of seasonal flu vax

kristenk
10-09-2009, 11:58 PM
DD (5yo) has never received a flu vaccine. I think that I'd like for her to get the seasonal flu vax this year. Last year, she had a confirmed case of the flu. Will she still need two "doses" of the seasonal flu vax? Since she has been exposed to the flu and we know it, will one shot protect her?

I'm just a little confused as to the reason that children under 9 (I think it's 9) who haven't received a flu vax, need to get 2 for it to do any good. I've googled it, but haven't come up with any good results.

ellies mom
10-10-2009, 02:42 AM
This is from the CDC website:

Special Instructions for Children Being Vaccinated Against Seasonal Flu for the First Time:

Children 6 months up to 9 years of age getting a flu vaccine for the first time will need two doses of vaccine the first year they are vaccinated. If possible, the first dose should be given as soon as vaccine becomes available. The second dose should be given 28 or more days after the first dose. The first dose "primes" the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose but need two doses can have reduced or no protection from a single dose of flu vaccine. Two doses are necessary to protect these children. If your child needs two doses, begin the process early, so that children are protected before influenza starts circulating in your community. Be sure to follow up to get your child a second dose if they need one. It usually takes about two weeks after the second dose for protection to begin.

Because seasonal flu viruses change every year, the vaccine is updated annually. So even if you or your children got a flu vaccine last year, you both still need to get a flu vaccine this season to remain protected. If October and November slip by, and you haven’t gotten your children or yourself vaccinated, get vaccinated in December or later.

I don't know if having the flu "primes" the immune system like the first dose of the vaccine. I'd ask your daughter's doctor.

Snow mom
10-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm fairly certain having the flu should immunologically do what the first dose does. I'd also recommend speaking with the doctor about it. If you come in with at least a bit of knowledge about the immune system and why we give two doses the first time I'm sure your doctor will be willing to consider what you say and give you their opinion.