PDA

View Full Version : What age for balance bike? Recs?

firsttimemama
10-10-2009, 10:43 AM
A friend recommended that I get DS a balance bike to help with some issues he's having (he likes to process things physically). He is almost 2. He is fairly big for a 2 yr old. (75% weight/95% height). Is there a balance bike that would work for him?

pharmjenn
10-11-2009, 09:52 AM
My son is almost 2 and about the same ht/wt. He tried a friends balance bike, I don't know what one, it was metal and looked just like a regular one, vs. the wooden Skuut. He had no look getting it balanced, and he is fairly well coordinated and advanced. I would say he is still a little young for one of them.

Carlasmom
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
My DS started riding his balance bike when he was 22 months old. He sat on it and just took off. I think it's important to get the right size bike. Ours is the small Kettler. he could not have done it with a taller model.
http://www.sport-tiedje.com/kettler/laufrad/speedy_10.htm
The small Puky is about the same height.
http://www.sport-tiedje.com/puky/laufrad/laufrad_lr_m.htm

The Kettler got the best rating in the 7/2008 issue of Stiftung Warentest (the German equivalent of Consumer Reports)

DS is average height.

carolinamama
10-11-2009, 05:14 PM
DS1 was just 2 when he got his. It took a month or so for him to zoom around on it, but he walked well on it almost immediately. I don't think your DC is too young at all. We were sold on them after a trip to Germany and there were many kids that young riding them proficiently.

We got a Like-a-Bike Jumper. It was one of the only ones small enough for a younger kid and we have been more than pleased with it. It also adjusts to be pretty high. DS has had it for 2 years, rides it daily, along with other kids in the neighborhood and it looks great. We will pass it down to DS2 and any other kids we have. We went with this one since Puky bikes are so hard to get in the US and I didn't know much about the Kettlers at the time.

firsttimemama
10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
The like a bike is out of my price range. Does anyone know the best bet for me as far as price (<$150?) and size (2 yr old) - Kettler maybe?

arivecchi
10-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Look into these:
Kettler
Strider
Specialized Hotwalk

o_mom
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
The like a bike is out of my price range. Does anyone know the best bet for me as far as price (<$150?) and size (2 yr old) - Kettler maybe?

My 20%-ile height 2.5 yo can use our Kinderbike now. He really just grew into it at the lowest setting. Since I ran over his trike :( we pulled it out for him again. We had tried him a few months ago and he was just touching tiptoes, but now can put his feet flat enough to walk it along.