PDA

View Full Version : Lock off question in an infant seat (or save a pg lady from a total breakdown)

Jacksmommy2b
10-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Okay so - we have 2 subarus. (aka the anti-car-seat cars) a 97 legacy sedan and a 00 legacy wagon. Both have the long stalks and no latch.

J is FF in tethered Marathons in both cars. (spot on installs in both cars per the Tech that checked them right after we got tethers - yay DH!)

J rode in a Combi Connection infant seat in DH's old VW and a Graco safeseat in mine because the Combi won't install in a subaru. Loved the Combi (which won't work 'cause now we both drive subarus) , hated the SS. (too big, too heavy, crap fabric etc.)

So for new baby we decided to go with a Baby Trend 22 or a Snugride 22. We went to BRU tonight and both seemed to have loose and mediocre installs. The SR was the better of the two, but still just meh.

So we tried a Chicco30 and a SR32. As Julie told me ages ago - the built in lock-offs rocked and we got awesome installs with both.

Okay - so - the problem - I'm really not crazy about either of the seats. The SR32 is basically a newer SS, which I hated - and J hated - and it is freaking huge so the passenger in either car will practically be in the dash. The Chicco is nicer than the SR32 and a smidge smaller (passenger will still be squished) but it is just so darn expensive. (I would so much rather put that extra money towards a Britax convertable)

J was a baby bucket hater. It was awful and we finally moved him to a convertable at around 6 months even though he has always been a peanut. I have toyed with the idea of skipping the infant seat entirely - but - baby is due mid December and the PA winters are mighty chilly so I think it is at least worth a shot to try and make it in a bucket until the spring.

So my questions are:

1) Will a lock off clip achieve the same result as a built in lock-off?

If it is possible to get the same sort of install, I don't mind buying the SR22, a clip, and making an appointment with a tech to try to get and get the same fit. I can always just return the seat if it doesn't work and get a SR32 or Chicco. If a lock off clip is a mediocre fix then I'll just save myself the time and effort.

2) Are there any other options with a built in lock-off that are smaller than the Chicco or SR32?
Although the Chicco 22 is obviously smaller it is really no less expensive so I don't really consider it an alternative.

Any other advice?

TIA, so much - I can't fathom how this is even harder the second time!

o_mom
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
A locking clip may help you get a good install in the Subaru. Generally a locking clip is used with an infant seat to keep it from tipping up from the shoulder belt pulling up. It can get a better install if you aren't able to get the shoulder belt tight without it pulling up too much.

I do know that I had a Snugride in our '99 Outback when DS1 was a baby. I honestly can't remember back that far to tell you how it was installed (or even which seating position), but it must have worked. I would be surprised if a good CPST couldn't show you how to get a Snugride installed well in that car.

Nothing is coming to mind that is smaller or cheaper with a lockoff, but maybe Julie will have an idea.

ETA: And if you don't mind... while I have your attention... what ever happened with the Cozy Coupe theft? I've been wondering ever since then if you got it resolved. :)

Jacksmommy2b
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
LOL!

The mods asked me not to post anything further on the cozy coupe. I guess they weren't thrilled with my bad mouthing what was technically a charity. :)

The super fabulous police officer ended up mediating between the brothers that headed the charity and myself and finally they coughed up half of the retail value of J's toys so we would stop complaining.

I wasn't able to replace the kettler - which sucks because the trike I did buy isn't anywhere near kettler quality but it is a whole lot better than the nothing we had for a while there.

And we did replace the Cozy Coupe - with the Police version in honor of the cop that helped us walk away with something.

Live and learn I guess - we are a whole lot more careful with what and to who(m?) we donate now and we never let anyone pick anything up at the house! :)

o_mom
10-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm glad you got something back. It's too bad about the Kettler. We are trikeless right now, but it's my own fault for running over it with the van (not a Kettler, though or I'd really be crying). I hear you on being careful who to donate to. It drives DH nuts that I try to find the charity that will get the most out of our stuff and not just wholesale it to the thrift shops.

Good luck on the infant seat - let us know if you need more help!

Joolsplus2
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Combi Shuttle has a lockoff. But yeah, a little effort would get a locking clip to work with an SR 22 just fine :)

GraceH
10-11-2009, 04:52 PM
...I don't mind buying the SR22, a clip, and making an appointment with a tech to try to get and get the same fit ...
Although the Chicco 22 is obviously smaller it is really no less expensive so I don't really consider it an alternative.

Couple quick points - the SR22 *should* come with a locking clip.
- the KF22 has the *same* shell as the KF30, so you can scratch that idea completely

The others have really good suggestions... the only other thing I can think of would be the Coccoro convertible seat if it's in your budget - they have a stroller frame available for it, plus it's fairly compact & has a lockoff...

Jacksmommy2b
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much for all the advice!

We spent the day at BuyBuyBaby and tried both the SR22 and the Baby Trend with a locking clip and such a better install with both!

It broke DH's back, but they were both in super tight. In the end we bought a Platinum SnugRide for the compatibility and size factors. (and only paid $111 for it after coupons - woo hoo!)

We went to BBB specifically because they also had a Combi Centre to try - but the anti rebound bar is attached to the seat, not the base ala the britax. I just thought that was rather odd.

I would love to get my hands on a coccoro. They seem so fluffy and squishy but I have yet to see one IRL. I'm hoping to be able to check one out by the time new baby needs an upgrade.

Joolsplus2
10-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I've seen babies loving that anti rebound bar as a fantastic footrest, and then it obviously makes the seat much safer if you choose to use it without the base, but I suppose it could be a tad bulky. The Britax crash videos I've seen are kind of scary, I'd think I'd rather have the bar attached to the seat.... Combi must share my thinking on that...
Anyway... glad the locking clip worked. Only caveat with the Baby Trend is that the handle must be in the down position when driving, and the buttons to move it can be sticky, so it's going to be a little more of a hassle to use it properly every time compared to the Graco or Combi or Chicco where you can leave the handle up in the car.
:)

AnnieW625
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Glad you got the Platinum, that looks like a nice seat. We still have months to go before we decide on an infant seat, but I'd love to see the Platinum in person because it's looks gorgeous on the computer. We might also just go with the Coccoro (it's such a cute seat, however I wish they'd add a black/grey cover!) because we never used the SR22 with a stroller with Elisa. We'll still find some use for sure with the old SR22 like in home for soothing if needed or at daycare (although we never left Elisa's infant seat there either), but really besides it being a life saver before we got our swing we only used it in the car.

The Baby Trend seat is really popular here, but I remember it being heavy when I first saw it in the store (can't remember if DD was born yet or not; I think it was the latter, the car seat aisle at Target always calls my name) so I don't think we'll get that one.

o_mom
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I've seen babies loving that anti rebound bar as a fantastic footrest, and then it obviously makes the seat much safer if you choose to use it without the base, but I suppose it could be a tad bulky. The Britax crash videos I've seen are kind of scary, I'd think I'd rather have the bar attached to the seat.... Combi must share my thinking on that...

I was thinking that bar would make a great handle, lol.

clc053103
10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
LOL!

The mods asked me not to post anything further on the cozy coupe. I guess they weren't thrilled with my bad mouthing what was technically a charity. :)

The super fabulous police officer ended up mediating between the brothers that headed the charity and myself and finally they coughed up half of the retail value of J's toys so we would stop complaining.

I wasn't able to replace the kettler - which sucks because the trike I did buy isn't anywhere near kettler quality but it is a whole lot better than the nothing we had for a while there.

And we did replace the Cozy Coupe - with the Police version in honor of the cop that helped us walk away with something.

Live and learn I guess - we are a whole lot more careful with what and to who(m?) we donate now and we never let anyone pick anything up at the house! :)

I have often wondered how your story unfolded! Thanks for sharing, sorry you didn't get totally reimbursed, but better something than nothing- I love the police Cozy Coupe tribute! FWIW, I throw cards out from that charity every time I get them. Not after what they did to you.

And now back to our regularly scheduled carseat programming....