PDA

View Full Version : Fear of H1N1 and Flying for Holidays

bigpassport
10-11-2009, 12:40 AM
DS will be 5.5 mos at Thanksgiving. We're thinking about flying to visit my dad and brother. Is fear of H1N1 a reason not to fly during the holidays with a LO? Is it threatening enough that I should postpone the visit until spring/summer/non-flu-season? WWYD?

kransden
10-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanksgiving is the worst time of year to fly. It is the busiest, people are sick, flights get messed up etc. I used to work for TWA. I avoid flying then if I can. The chances of one of you getting sick is pretty high, though it may not be the flu. There are just too many people coughing and sneezing on the plane.

alexsmommy
10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I would think that the holidays are one of those time where percentage wise you'll have more sick passengers. People who might normally stay home may feel pressure to push themselves to go ahead and travel sick. I'd be wary.
I am typically pretty laid back about illness, but this is one illness that is scaring me since I have a DC with an underlying issue (asthma) that can make things worse and I am expecting.

gatorsmom
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
DS will be 5.5 mos at Thanksgiving. We're thinking about flying to visit my dad and brother. Is fear of H1N1 a reason not to fly during the holidays with a LO? Is it threatening enough that I should postpone the visit until spring/summer/non-flu-season? WWYD?

In the past I would have gone with a 5mo, but I wouldn't go this year. In fact, my family needw to get to Texas to visit ILs sometime between now and January and I absolutely won't go until our children are vaxed for H1N1. I'm just too afraid of H1N1, not so much for me but for the kids.

Laurel
10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
We always get sick on T-giving flights. It's a family joke at this point. I wipe down everything we touch with lysol wipes, but the air is full of germs.

We'll be flying cross-country again this year (Sat-Sat, trying to avoid the worst days), but my kids are old enough for the H1N1 vax. I would not do it with an infant.

geochick
10-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't go with a ds that little this year.

jgenie
10-11-2009, 11:00 PM
:offtopic: If you were pregnant would you avoid having guests that need to travel by air to see you? We're trying to decide what to do for the holidays. We will be home for both Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we were planning on not having any company but have friends that would like to fly out to see us. For Xmas, my mom will be coming to help get ready for the baby. Really need Mom's help but am wondering if we should skip the Thanksgiving company this year. Thoughts? TIAhaving guests that need to travel by air to see you? We're trying to decide what to do for the holidays. We will be home for both Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we were planning on not having any company but have friends that would like to fly out to see us. For Xmas, my mom will be coming to help get ready for the baby. Really need Mom's help but am wondering if we should skip the Thanksgiving company this year. Thoughts? TIA

bigpassport
10-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Thank you for your input! With H1N1 its so hard to draw the line between cautious and paranoid. DH said he refuses on principle to be afraid. But I think there is a real reason to be, especially since DS can't be vax'd. I feel better now:)

kijip
10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
:offtopic: If you were pregnant would you avoid having guests that need to travel by air to see you? We're trying to decide what to do for the holidays. We will be home for both Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we were planning on not having any company but have friends that would like to fly out to see us. For Xmas, my mom will be coming to help get ready for the baby. Really need Mom's help but am wondering if we should skip the Thanksgiving company this year. Thoughts? TIAhaving guests that need to travel by air to see you? We're trying to decide what to do for the holidays. We will be home for both Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we were planning on not having any company but have friends that would like to fly out to see us. For Xmas, my mom will be coming to help get ready for the baby. Really need Mom's help but am wondering if we should skip the Thanksgiving company this year. Thoughts? TIA

If you are pregnant then I would get the vaccine, you should be able to get it by Thanksgiving. I am not sure what I would do in that situation if I was not getting vaccinated.

kijip
10-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you for your input! With H1N1 its so hard to draw the line between cautious and paranoid. DH said he refuses on principle to be afraid. But I think there is a real reason to be, especially since DS can't be vax'd. I feel better now:)

Yeah, I tend to think as your husband does (can't live in fear) but I would not be traveling until we were all vaccinated. Just my comfort level.

citymama
10-13-2009, 03:30 AM
I feel your pain. I am dreading my 3 cross-country work trips in November (one during the first week) and December as a pregnant woman with asthma who will not have had the H1N1 vaccine by the time of my first trip. I will be at crowded airports, crowded hotels and crowded conference/meeting facilities. And I can't get out of the first and last ones as I committed to them months and months ago. Just praying that the vaccine somehow becomes available here by late Oct and my OB's office gives it to me right away!