PDA

View Full Version : Scooter for 5 year old?

toby
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
DS is about to turn 5 and is just showing interest in scooters. They have one at school (radio flyer one with 3 wheels).

He is fairly cautious and not super coordinated...
Do any of you have "older" kids using the 3 wheel kind? Are there any 2 wheel ones that are more stable? What we need is a 2 wheel one with training wheels!

Thanks!

KrisM
10-11-2009, 08:45 PM
DS got a 2 wheel Razor for his 5th birthday. We started him in elbow and knee pads, but by day 2, he had the balance down.

o_mom
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I would really just go with the basic Razor. They pick it up really fast. Even my extra super cautious DS1 was able to do it by 4.5 yrs, DS2 could ride one at just turned 3 and I would peg him as average on gross motor skills. With a scooter, their foot is their training wheels. If they feel unsteady, they just put their foot down. They are usually around $25 with sales down to $20 at TRU and Target a few times during the year. Target carries the red one, Walmart the blue (ask me how I know!).

ajmom
10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I agree with the Razor recommendation. DS1 got one for his 5th birthday and he picked it up right away!

Tondi G
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Razor does make a 3 wheel scooter but I think your kiddo will be fine with a regular 2 wheel razor!

toby
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Not that I am looking to spend $60...but does anyone have the new Radio Flyer E-Z Rider Scooter? It has 2 wheels that are very wide (look much wider IRL than in the picture) and a wider base.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3758524&CAWELAID=385192096

I will probably go with the Razor, but this also looks like a good option for super-cautious DS.

Thanks for your input!

Jen841
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Each boy has one of these, J got his at 5.5 (Santa) and E got his for his 4th bday (coordinated and now prevents fights.) DH was very particular that they had to have this one for a variety of reasons...
Folds down (can take to the beach)
Bigger wheels (more sand friendly we hope)
Wider deck

Nieces and Nephews have basic Razors and DH does not like the wheels on them.

Note, DH is not picky about much! Last time he forced in his 2 cent was when we were picking out strollers b4 each was born.

Kohls sold them at Christmas last year. For E's bday the best deal I found was around $60 on Amazon with free shipping.

No problems to date!