PDA

View Full Version : Bottles for newborns while using Medela pump

kiskati
10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
<First time mom-to-be>

I decided to get a Medela pump, but not necessarily would like to use the bottles it comes with. Do you know any bottle nipples that could fit on the Medela bottles? Or should I just pump into the pump bottles when needed and transfer it to my other choice?

Also, does any of you have experience with Nuby bottles/nipples? Since I'm planning to breastfeed, I'd like to get nipples that resembles the real ones to prevent confusion.

punkysquirrel
10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I've often wondered that myself too. I have a basic pump from Medela and only have two 5 oz. bottles. I like to have spare bottles on hand in case I am not available to breastfeed and my hubby can then feed baby. What is it about the bottles you don't like? If it is the size, there are some larger bottles available (apparently all Medela bottles will fit any of their pump models) in glass or plastic.

I have set of Playtex bottles that use disposable drop in liners, but I have yet to use them. I was also wondering if it was a good idea to just pour pumped milk into them or not. I didn't think there would be problems with possible cross-contamination of things since I would be using the liners in the other bottles. I don't know though, maybe someone else has some other ideas or can advise us on what to do?

jench
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I used to use different bottles, so I would pump into the Medela bottles and then transfer. For my second kiddo, I was tired of all the double bottle washing, so I bought a bunch of the Gerber Clear-view (or something like that? they are the same plastic as the Medelas) which have the same size neck as the Medela, so all the pieces were interchangeable! They came in 5 oz and 9oz. HTH

ETA - oh yeah, and the Gerber bottles are really inexpensive too!

JBaxter
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
You can get the medela collars and use the slow flow nipples for the medela. I am still using the bottles for Jack ( if you fill them to the top they hold 6oz ;) ) He prefers the super soft nipples like medela and dr browns.

When I did pump I just left it in the medela bottle

catsnkid
10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I think the Dr Brown's bottles are compatible with the pump for collection. Personally I use AVENT bottles for feeding and use the medela and generic parents choice bottles with Dr Browns caps for collection and storage. I bought the caps on amazon, it works out cheaper then buying medela bottles.

wendibird22
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Back when I was pumping I had the adaptors that allowed me to pump right into the Avent bottles. I had the old Avent so when I switched to BPA free I just went with the Medela bottles and DD had no problems with those. I've also pumped directly into storage bags which is easier than have to pour a bottle into a storage bag...less chance of spilling!

MizMojoLaveau
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Dr. Brown's are compatible. I use those and it is easy.

ncat
10-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I've used several types of the narrow-necked bottles, both plastic and glass, with the Medela pump, the threads fit and they all work fine.

elektra
10-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I use the Playtex drop-ins. You have to buy an adapter kit that includes a part that screws onto the Medela pump.

happymom
10-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I use the Playtex drop-ins. You have to buy an adapter kit that includes a part that screws onto the Medela pump.

:yeahthat: Then you can pump directly into a liner and freeze it in the liner too! When you're ready to use, just pop the frozen liner into a bottle and defrost in cup of hot water. You need to buy an adaptor kit and rings and caps for freezing in the liners. You can buy all of that at Target.

KarenLud
10-14-2009, 01:55 AM
We used the medela bottles for a while with DS..maybe until he was 3 or 4 months. I am still nursing him but initially we had to use expressed BM to supplement and the medela worked better for him than the others we tried. I think because of the small nipple (he was preeemie). Then we transitioned to drop ins and love them! I just pump into medela bottles at work and then transfer to lanisonish bags to freeze and then dump the freezer stash into the drop ins.

BayGirl2
10-14-2009, 02:11 AM
To prevent nipple confusion I like the BreastFlow bottles by the First Years. If you need to use bottles early on and baby's still learning to latch, those are great.

Now I just pump into the Medela 2.5 oz bottles and bring them home. The next day we pop a nipple on and serve from them. DS didn't love the tiny Medela nipples at first but he got used to them and never went hungry.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
You can feed directly from the Lansinoh bags rather than pouring it into a drop-in. You just put the bag into the bottle, fold the top over, and use the nipple ring screwed over the bag to hold it in place. One less step and less wasted milk.

Claki
10-14-2009, 03:08 PM
You can feed directly from the Lansinoh bags rather than pouring it into a drop-in. You just put the bag into the bottle, fold the top over, and use the nipple ring screwed over the bag to hold it in place. One less step and less wasted milk.

Is it better to pump into the Lasinoh bag than the Drop-In? Do they freeze better?

melrose7
10-14-2009, 03:19 PM
:yeahthat: Then you can pump directly into a liner and freeze it in the liner too! When you're ready to use, just pop the frozen liner into a bottle and defrost in cup of hot water. You need to buy an adaptor kit and rings and caps for freezing in the liners. You can buy all of that at Target.

I want to get a Medula pump next time and I have use the playtex bottles with the drop ins. my question is can I pump into the drop ins and freeze them? I thought those bags weren't good for freezing. What bags do I need to buy to freeze that will fit on the playtex botles?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I think it is easier to pump, store, and feed in the drop-in. The only advantages of the bags are that they take up less space in the freezer and thaw quicker if you freeze them flat. They might be cheaper, I don't know.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
When I pumped into drop-ins, I would then put them in a ziploc freezer bag, just to be more airtight. But yes, you can freeze in them.