PDA

View Full Version : Cord banking for siblings?

DeeEast
10-11-2009, 11:22 PM
We banked our first DD's cord blood. We did not bank the cord for the twins, her siblings. I am still googling about possible health issues for DS and read conflicting things about the possible benefits or matching from one siblings cord stem cells to the others. Does anyone have any info on this? Some of the sites I've read say that there is only a 25% chance of a beneficial match to siblings and others say that its 75% so I don't know what to believe. I am just hoping that its not even going to be an issue.

infocrazy
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I read somewhere that you are actually more likely for it to match a sibling than the child who actually donated but I don't know where or details.

Here's a bump so hopefully someone else sees.

Sorry you are going through all this. P&PT for you and yours.

jess_g
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
When we banked my youngest sons cord blood, I was told it was a 75% chance of matching his older brother. I think either someone from the cord blood bank company or my ob told me that. I realy wish the doctors would have told us about cord blood banking when my older son was born, but they did not so we banked his younger brother's cord blood just in case the odler son needed it. I am sure the Viacord website would have some information about this.

Jessica.

nofeea
10-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Without looking up the details, it has always been my understanding that a sibling's cord blood is often a more useful match than a child's own cord blood ( a child's own cord blood may not be useful since it may contain the same genetic flaw you are trying to 'fix'). There have been several publicized cases of families having subsequent children in the hopes of getting a sibling 'match'. (I remember a specific success story from several years ago. The family got a lot of flack for it but they did have another baby that was a perfect match for the daughter they they were trying to save. I haven't heard any updated news but from what I remember things worked out well...)
Best of luck...