PDA

View Full Version : Disney travel insurance for your trip?

Corie
10-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Our Disney travel agent just asked us if we want to purchase the Disney
travel insurance for your trip in December.

We are on the fence.

Do most people buy the insurance? What do you do?

alien_host
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't know about Disney specifically, what the benefits are etc. But I don't ever buy Trip Insurance. Then again, I don't buy the "extended warranty" on appliances/electronics either.

How much is it?

To me, most things can be re-booked if there is an emergency. I believe most flights can be changed for a fee (which may or may not be less than the trip insurance, I'm guessing less).

Generally you can cancel hotel reservations if you know in advance you aren't going, but I have little experience with WDW, but they in general seem accomodating.

jhrabosk
10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
I went to insuremytrip.com and bought a policy from the same company that WDW uses for less than 1/2 the price. Our non-refundable costs would be about $1500 ($200 for Disney and the cost of our plane tickets) and the policy cost about $50. Plus, there's coverage for travel delays, etc.

If it were just me and DH, I probably wouldn't do it, but with a small child who's in school during cold and flu season (though I don't think they're covering swine flu at this point)...I just figured the chances of issues were worth $50.

lil_acorn
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Jessica - why do they consider airfare non-refundable? Wouldn't you still get a credit for your unused tickets? Would teh insurance pay back your airfare & still allow you to get a credit?

HallsofVA
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I know for our Disney Cruises, it's almost always cheaper to buy insurance separately rather than through Disney. Plus you can get exactly the coverages that you need, and possibly get pre-existing conditions covered depending on when you purchase the insurance.

I priced out policies through insuremytrip and some of the others, then realized that USAA sells trip insurance at reduced rates with some additional coverage and customer service perks so I ended up buying it through the usaa.com site.