PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone attempted the GO in the middle of a Camry?

HIU8
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
We are about to switch out DS's MA from DH's car and install the Go instead. DS rides in the car rarely and I need to have the MA onhand to pick up DN when BIL and sister call (which seems to be frequently these days--yes I am a doormat when it comes to DN, but that does not belong in this post...). DS is about to outgrow the seat so I'm not worried about the switch in that respect. Anyway, the MA is currently installed in the center and I would like to put the GO in the center as well. I know it installs well outboard using LATCH (it just seems entirely to close to the door IMO). Has anyone installed it in the center using the lap/shoulder belt? Does it install as solidly as LATCH?

AnnieW625
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
You might not be able to use LATCH in the middle seat, even if the spacing is correct, most cars don't allow for LATCH in the center of the car (although good luck finding a manual that tells you so; Jools, and Lorinick pointed it out to me a few months ago). I did it for a year though in my Pilot and had zero clue you couldn't do it. You can only install the harnessed Go using LATCH, and the over head tether. Safegaurd has some videos on their website.

o_mom
10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
You might not be able to use LATCH in the middle seat, even if the spacing is correct, most cars don't allow for LATCH in the center of the car (although good luck finding a manual that tells you so; Jools, and Lorinick pointed it out to me a few months ago). I did it for a year though in my Pilot and had zero clue you couldn't do it. You can only install the harnessed Go using LATCH, and the over head tether. Safegaurd has some videos on their website.

Looks like the OP is planning on using the seatbelt to install it in the center. The Go can be installed with the seatbelt and top tether, even in harnessed mode. :)

HIU8
10-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Right, I cannot use LATCH in the center of a Camry. I know I can install the GO using the lap and shoulder belt though (behind the GO there are loops intended for the seatbelt to go through). I was under the impression that the seatbelt install somehow pulled the back of the GO down a bit so I would not be able to get the same height I do with LATCH. I was just wondering if anyone had installed the GO with the seatbelt and how it was?

AnnieW625
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Right, I cannot use LATCH in the center of a Camry. I know I can install the GO using the lap and shoulder belt though (behind the GO there are loops intended for the seatbelt to go through). I was under the impression that the seatbelt install somehow pulled the back of the GO down a bit so I would not be able to get the same height I do with LATCH. I was just wondering if anyone had installed the GO with the seatbelt and how it was?

really, thanks for the update, I didn't think you could do it (I also hadn't scoured my carseat manual, just watched the install videos on the old Safegaurd website or Elite Carseats site). I just found this post from Jools on car-seat.org so it looks like it's possible:)
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=100188

HIU8
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Jools wrote something about how the seatbelt install makes the back of the GO pull down a bit (I'm not sure how much compared the the LATCH install though). I'm just not crazy about having DS right next to the door of the Camry (even though it is a 2002 and has a full compliment of airbags). I've always thought the back doorway area was just tight in that car. I'm going to try a seatbelt install with the GO this week and see how I like it.

Joolsplus2
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Days have passed, and would you believe, the seat has still not tipped from the seatbelt? Really, I *think* it'd be possible in a Camry, just give yourself some time and quiet to attempt it after reading the manual. The Ford center is pretty narrow, so I was really surprised it works as well as it does...but it's also a flatter bench than the Camry is, IIRC, so that might have helped. Fingers crossed, knocking on wood for ya! (I didn't notice a substantial loss in height, but Leah's also maybe only at a 15" torso right now, so she had lots of room to grow in it anyway).

niccig
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Jools wrote something about how the seatbelt install makes the back of the GO pull down a bit (I'm not sure how much compared the the LATCH install though).

I have a GO, the seatbelt install does lower the harness a bit. BUT, it depends on how you install it.

The instructions say to install with seatbelt and then attach top tether - this way loses the most harness height.

I read on car-seat.org that if you loosely attach the top tether, install with the seatbelt and then tighten the tether, you won't loose as much harness height. I tried it and it does work. It's a little fiddly to thread the seatbelt through the loops at the back of the headrest part when the top tether is attached, but it's not too bad.

A latch install does give the most harness height, I got 1" more with LATCH install.

HIU8
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the tip on doing the TT first. I will try it that way and see if it works in DH's car. If all else fails, DS will just sit outboard and I'll use LATCH.