PDA

View Full Version : VW Routan, GMC Acadia, Mercedes R, Volvo XC 90?

MizMojoLaveau
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Opinions, please, for a mini van resistant family (thought about a Routan) looking for a used vehicle:wink2: Currently 1 RF Infant, 1 FF 4YO. Will possibly be another infant in a couple years. Would I want bench or captains chairs in those that have an option? I initially though captains chairs was the way to go, but am now on the fence as I now realize that 3rd row accessibility is an option and that it means one less seat.

AnnieW625
10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Another van resistent family here:)

I don't have any of the vehicles, but I did sit many SUVs at the auto shows in 2005/2006 before we bought our Pilot and had the reliability been better I would've insisted on the XC90. Our family mechanic doesn't like Volvos since Ford took them over, and Consumers Reports continually gives them bad repair ratings. With that said I do have a friend who has one and likes it; she hasn't complained much about reliability, but she doesn't drive nearly as much as I do. The XC90 is such a nice feeling car, very well made, and plush feeling. The Acadia wasn't out then but the Envoy was nice and my in laws like theirs, but it was uber expensive and even now the Acadia is still more than Pilot was new for the same options (third row seat, leather, sun roof, rear AC system). I have never been in a Mercedes R so I can't comment. A friend recently bought the Routan van, which gets decent reviews, but it's a suped up Chrysler Town and Country or Dodge Grand Caravan. If I had to get a van though I'd get an Odyssey or Sienna though.

FWIW we love our Pilot and we drive our cars until they die so we wanted something reliable (this is our second Honda) and very maintenence free. We have a 2006 and much prefer our body style (made through 2008) to the 2009 model, but I would definitely look at both. The 2009 model price went up a lot. The list on our 06 EX-L (everything but the nav. and dvd system) was $32K (we got it for just under $26K) and the new list for the EX-L is over $35K I think.

ETA: prior to buying our car new in 2006 we had grand plans of buying used and looked at Acura MDX, Lexus RX300, BMW X3, BMW X5, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander. We had a really hard time finding any good deals on any of those cars used w/the under 50K miles we wanted. Now might be a different story because gas was under $2.50 a gallon in 2006 vs. just over $3 a gallon currently so that might play to your benefit.

Also I have never tried them, but I don't think I like the idea of captains chairs in an SUV, however for installing carseats it seems like it would be easier.

codex57
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Mercedes R is only good if you insist on having the Mercedes name.

You can't be minivan resistant if you have the Routan and R on the list. Like Annie, I'd get an Odyssey or Sienna before those other 2.

I prefer the Acadia over the XC 90, but that's from a space efficiency standpoint. Well, looks has a big part of it too. Still, minivans work a ton better from a space efficiency standpoint. Shoot, from an overall space standpoint period.

bubbaray
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd get an Ody or Sienna over a Caravan (whether its a Caravan, Grand Caravan or Routan, which is just a re-badged Caravan) any day of the week.

Of the vehicles on your list, I'd go with the Volvo. BUt, I think there are better vehicles than even the Volvo if you broaden your list.

willow33
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
We have a Volvo XC90 and I wish we had an Odyssey or Sienna. I really like the Volvo, but with 3 kids it would just be easier to have a minivan. Right now we have our 5 month old dd in a safeseat RF behind the passenger seat. 4.5 yr old ds in in a Regent behind the driver and our 6.5 yr old ds rides in the built-in booster in the middle. We also have a Monterey booster and have put it in the 3rd row when we travel further than just to/from school. He has to climb in from the rear of the car to get into the Monterey.

I really like how the Volvo drives. I feel like I'm in a plush sedan rather than a SUV, but repair costs are high and we've had a few big bills.

I think the Routan is just the Dodge Caravan with VW styling...if I remember correctly.

Hope this helped some :)

GraceH
10-13-2009, 12:41 AM
FWIW, the repair costs on the VW is crazy high, and Mercedes is going to be up there as well.

HannaAddict
10-13-2009, 12:58 AM
As someone who has a Mercedes R, it is a great car, fantastic family car, and every time my friends go in it they wonder why more people don't have them. (You can get some deals to bring the price down into comparable car territory.) The down side was actually that it was a Mercedes, I previously had my old reliable, Honda Accord, an Isuzu Trooper (that was totaled so we had to get another car) and Volvo S60, so we didn't buy it for the name. They are made in the US too. But, it is NOT a minivan, though close in some ways. A minivan is more utilitarian and Honda and Toyota do a great job (I'm a Honda girl though). We looked at the X90 but the 3rd row was a joke and not car seat friendly and then our local independent mechanic said to steer clear, that he won't even work on them they have so many issues. He has no trouble with the Volvo S60 or S80 or even the wagons, but said the XC90 was trouble. I've head that from several moms in our neighborhood too, where there are a lot of XC90's.

We got it since it came in a diesel and I get far better mileage than all the Toyota Hybrid Highlander folks and minivans and with less bad things being emitted into the air. I get around 21 in town (husband gets better) and 26-28 on the highway, fully loaded at 70 or 70+ on long rural trips. We also looked at the M class diesel and GL diesel. Tons of GL diesels around but they have less room in the 3rd row and harder access since bench seat in the second row. Maintenance out of warranty will be more expensive than some other choices though, I fully admit that. We love the captains chairs in the second row, something I wasn't sure about when we bought it.

It is the most car seat friendly car I've been in (looked at Acadia and have rented a Routan and thought it was a bucket honestly). Seats install great (we use the seat belts), seats are firm in that they don't squish up after you think seats are tight and find out they are not (like the rental Routan and rental Suburban we had for a week). The third row is reached by either flipping a second row seat forward or for agile adults or kids, going through the gap between the captain's chairs. The third row is useable and my 6'3" brother has made several trips in it of more than a couple hours. With the third row in use, I can still fit my Phil & Ted Sport and doubles seat behind it (though a mini van would have more room). There are LATCH connectors in every rear seat, and fantastic built in anchors for tethering on the seat backs and floor, including the third row! Why doesn't every car have these?? I have had a Regent and Frontier installed in the third row at one time, with rear facing Boulevard behind the driver's seat. I think I have a picture I took after someone on the board, who didn't have an R class, said that was "impossible" to do. :) (Did it to drive for field trip.)

Downside are the large rear doors but I don't have a big problem with that. When we test drove one for a weekend, I took it to our local hot spot mall and parked it in the busy lot to see how it would be IRL and it was fine and tried it out at the crowded zoo too. I would get the back-up camera for any car you get too, just a huge safety feature. The Bluetooth was heads and shoulders better than other cars we looked at (including MDX). It loads your phone book and works great. I've heard the navigation could be better but I use my iPhone for that when I rarely need it. Not a necessity, but do love the panorama sunroof, even just for the light it provides (it has a fabric cover to keep from getting too hot if you need it). If you can get a low miles one or Certified one, there are some good deals. Easier to get a really great deal on the R350 gas version, but we do love the torque, speed and green factor of our R320 diesel (bluetec).

It seems big at first to drive, but handles great, better turning radius than my much smaller Volvo, was amazing in deep snow, and is great in our rainy fall/winter/spring weather. Feels rock solid with all wheel drive. The web site www.motherproof.com loved it and I think also has reviews of many of the other cars you are considering. I like the site since it looks at all the things we need to know for family cars (LATCH, tethers, space, etc.).

One more car I just saw that looked intriguing is the new Chevy Traverse. One of the moms at our local preschool just got one and it was quite handsome and she had three car seats installed. It is supposed to get decent MPG too. I do like the Pilot a lot too, it is a work horse and like the body style of the last few years, before the recent changes. We seriously considered the Pilot.

Have fun car shopping and hope you get a great deal on whatever you end up getting!

MizMojoLaveau
10-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Thank you all for all of the great advice and the link to check out! I currently drive an Isuzu Axiom and I really want to downsize and get a car for the gas mileage and green factor, but am already having space issues in the small SUV I have, so I'm just not sure that I can go smaller, although I love the volvo S60 and can get good deals on them used.

I HAVE worried about the repair costs on the volvo, mercedes, and VW, but I love that they seem to be such safe vehicles. I am also interested in the built in cargo cage on the Volvo as I am paranoid about flying debris in an accident and have not heard very good things about the tension installed kind (versus the bolted in, factory installed ones). I have heard from another board that the R class has many points inside to hook bags, etc. to to keep them from flying. I am very intrigued PP's response and by the diesel option on the Mercedes R class. It just seems like such a practical car and I have seem them for around $25K with 20-30K miles on them used.

I did go and test drive a Traverse and really liked it. I guess it is really the same as an Acadia. I do think I prefer the look of the Acadia, but perhaps that is because I'm used to seeing it. Love both of them, they are just so expensive new and haven't found any Traverses used yet. All the Acadias I've found have very dark interior color (and mostly leather) and that is just ungodly hot in the summer where we are in the south. Thanks and keep the advice coming!

o_mom
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
You may want to look at www.informedforlife.org (http://www.informedforlife.org) They combine all the different safety ratings to give an overall score for each vehicle. The Mercedes was significantly worse than the other models you listed. If you really are interested in the Routan, I would heavily comparision shop it with the Chrysler twin - VW name is not worth pay more for, IMO (and by pay I mean both initally and in higher repair costs).

AnnieW625
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
We got it since it came in a diesel and I get far better mileage than all the Toyota Hybrid Highlander folks and minivans and with less bad things being emitted into the air. I get around 21 in town (husband gets better) and 26-28 on the highway, fully loaded at 70 or 70+ on long rural trips. We also looked at the M class diesel and GL diesel. Tons of GL diesels around but they have less room in the 3rd row and harder access since bench seat in the second row. Maintenance out of warranty will be more expensive than some other choices though, I fully admit that. We love the captains chairs in the second row, something I wasn't sure about when we bought it.

I just want to say that Mercedes makes fabulous diesel engines! My aunt and uncle have two 1995 E Class Diesels that they have bought within the last 2 years from their mechanic, and they are great cars. IIRC both cars have about 125 to 150K on them and run fine. Up until last year they had a 1986 Mercedes 200D Turbo that they sold with 250K+ miles on it and it was still running great. Both DH and I love that Mercedes is getting back into the diesel market in the US. You are definitely making an investment in your car, but your car will last you a lifetime.

VW also makes good diesel engines and just put a diesel in the Toureg SUV so you might want to check that one out. VW's don't have the most stellar repair records either, but the TDI engine in the Jetta diesel has gotten really good reviews and has been a top seller for VW.

I forgot to add in my prior post that I also have some friends that have an Audi Q7 and are very happy with it. You should be able to find an 07 or 08 used now since they've been out a couple of years. Also the new 2009 or 2010 models have a diesel.

secchick
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
We got a deal on a used 2009 Acadia w/ about 14K miles on it for my minivan resistant husband (but since we are planning on having 3, acommodating 3 carseats was a requirement). We have the captains chairs and it is great. As long as 1 seat is FF, I can easily walk to the third row and and can sit comfortably (I am 5'4"). I think as long as the oldest is in the 3rd row and can buckle themselves up, it's perfect. From a utilitarian standpoint, it's a minivan layout but without sliding doors, and per DH isn't a mom car. It is so comfortable it has replaced my Lexus RX as our family trip vehicle (of course, I am looking forward to my next car which *will* be a minivan).

mecawa
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Just piping in to say stay away from the Volvo. Yes, they are safe, but my sister has one of those and she is always having problems with it, and the cost to fix them has gone up substantially (according to her at least, she has had numerous Volvos) she is just waiting to sign the final papers on her new house and is trading it in, she's had enough.

We are a minivan resistant family, although we are at the point where we really need one. If I was to get one I would do an Odyssey or maybe a Sienna. We have a Pilot (love it), and before that I had a Highlander. When we were on vacation in September we rented a Sienna and I liked it, which was a big surprise to me, I've never been a van person. Good luck with your search.

endlessheather
10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I have a Buick Enclave which is basically the same as GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook & Chevy Traverse. I love it and it's a great non-minivan car for me. I have had our Marathon in the 3rd row a few times now when we have guests. I also can easily put guests back in that 3rd row with 2 car seats in the captains but you do have to go between the seats that way to get there. It's the perfect size for us really and it drives so nice! I love the gas mileage for such a big car :)

We test drove so many cars and the 3rd row in most of them was useless, especially when your DH is 6'4 and a lot of our friends/family are tall. Or, if that 3rd row was large enough, we were looking at SUV's that were a bit larger and didn't have the gas mileage that this does. Our family & friends love and oddly enough I get asked about it a lot when out shopping with the kids. I think we have 4 Acadia's now in our neighborhood and our Enclave. They are popping up everywhere out here.

HannaAddict
10-13-2009, 11:45 PM
The informedforlife website is a helpful site and something I learned from these boards. However, it just compiles different data and does its own thing and sometimes cars move up and down with no design changes (including the very safe Ody) for whatever reason. For 2009, the Mercedes R is an Ins. Institute top pick. It is a very, very safe car. We read several UK and other european reviews and safety info before buying ours. At 5,000 pounds, all wheel drive, tons of airbags, etc. I would stack it up against any of the supposed top picks (supposed since they change!). The design change on the R that changed its side impact review from acceptable to good was a slight relocation of the seat belt. The risk wasn't catastrophic, but Mercedes immediately set out to figure out what was going on and fixed it.

Also really liked the Enclave and motherproof.com loves it. Just didn't love the mileage, but it is a lovely and safe car. I never thought I'd like a Buick, but that one has some bling!

diegosmom
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I too was mini van resistant and then finally caved. Now I regret that I didn't cave earlier. Currently I drive an Ody with 2 car seats and a possible 3rd. I did the Envoy XL with the 3rd seat and the 3rd seat is useless with 2 car seats. Prior I had the Volvo S60 and I loved the feel of it when drove but it is not the best with rear facing car seats. I highly recommend a mini van if you plan on 3 or more kids for your sanity and hands down the best mini vans are Honda and Toyota.

smilequeen
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I gave in to the minivan thing, but I had a Mercedes R500 before that.

I liked my Mercedes for 2 kids. That second row is super spacious and the carseats were easy to install. They even have great cargo hooks on the floor that can be used for the RF tether.

However, for 3 kids in carseats I just didn't like it. The third row is a little tight IMO and there is so little cargo space for strollers and groceries if you use the third row. I really think that's an issue with any 3 row car that isn't a minivan unless you go super huge like an extended Escalade or something.

We are planning a 3rd child and I really wanted to find something I loved that would work that isn't a minivan and I just couldn't (but I'm not willing to go the extended Escalade direction). I looked at the Mercedes GL Bluetec, Escalade Hybrid, Buick Enclave, and Lexus LS. The minivan just makes more sense for 3 kids.

But as soon as I'm down to 1 carseat and no stroller, I'm going back. My Sienna is very nice and I like it a lot, but it isn't really me. I just plan to suck it up for a few years.

daniele_ut
10-14-2009, 05:10 PM
You know that the Routan is just a restyled Dodge Caravan, don't you? I was a loyal VW driver for over 10 years, but I would not buy an overpriced Caravan. We've considered looking at a GMC Acadia if we have another baby. They are roomy, and I like that you can get captains chairs in the second row. For now we get along just fine with a sedan and a small wagon for our 2 kids.

marndt
10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
We just traded in our Volvo XC90 for a Odyssey Touring and I'm so glad we did! I really loved the Volvo, we never had problems and it drove great, but a couple things to consider... Maintenance is expensive - oil changes, tires, gas (takes premium gas) because everything is special order or calls for higher quality. The third row is not easily accessible. We bought the XC90 with the thought that is would last us for a long time with multiple kids, but getting to the third row is seriously a pain, which is why we bought the minivan. Which I totally thought I would be dissappointed giving up my XC90, but I'm so happy with our choice. I can't recommend the Odyssey enough. We drove the Sienna, and after driving the XC90 for a while, we were used to a turbo engine and the Sienna felt so gutless. With the Odyssey they have a bigger engine and we don't feel like we gave up lack of power, and we got the Touring model and so I don't feel like I gave up any luxuries that I had in the XC90. Oh and another thing to consider is that you lose quite a bit of trunk space when the 3rd row seats are up in the XC90.