PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Clothes for Preschool - - Safety Concerns?

sste
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
For preschool clothing labels do you use first initial, last name or first name and last name. Is there a potential safety issue with using the full name?? I know the inside of clothes seem like a safe place but I am wondering about if a jacket is left nearby and a child perpetrator reads the inside of the jacket and calls the child over.

Also, do you add phone numbers or emails to your labels? Seems like the most logical way to actually get an item returned but I am wondering again if there is a safety concern.

Thanks in advance.

geochick
10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
For preschool clothing labels do you use first initial, last name or first name and last name. Is there a potential safety issue with using the full name?? I know the inside of clothes seem like a safe place but I am wondering about if a jacket is left nearby and a child perpetrator reads the inside of the jacket and calls the child over.

Also, do you add phone numbers or emails to your labels? Seems like the most logical way to actually get an item returned but I am wondering again if there is a safety concern.

Thanks in advance.

I use our last name, and my cell number (can't track a cell to my house). Just using the last name means I can use the same labels for both kids. We have an unusual last name - someone with the Smith last name might want an initial.

SnuggleBuggles
10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I use last name only most of the time.
eta- if you are really worried about safety and security at your preschool that would be a red flag. I feel my boys have been very secure at all the schools they have gone to. Even if a stranger did read their name off of something, there is no way a teacher would let anything happen.

Beth

sste
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I am worried about everything with this preschool move!! I don't think there is any particular security issue at the preschool - - in fact they automized the entire building and require everyone to have an individualized key code. But, they do go on daily outings to a city park and walkable city attractions. The ratio is great but its still 6 preschoolers to 1 adult and it only takes a few seconds or a minute for something to happen . . .

codex57
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Research into how many child predators are from people you already know vs from complete strangers.

niccig
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Our labels have DS's first and last name. I have a label on his backpack on the top that is easily seen - I put it on, so teachers would know it's DS's backpack. The spot to write it, is inside the backpack, and they asked all names to be visible from outside. BUT, now that DS has been there for 4 weeks, I'm going to take the label off - he knows which is his back pack.

DS is in pre-K and I'm not worried about him safety wise. He is always with either the teacher or with DH/me/friends. He is never alone at a place where someone could read his name. His class have weekly outings to the park/school farm and they have lots of field trips. From what I've seen so far, as I've gone on these trip, there is plenty of adult supervision. For this age group, we have to have several parents accompany the class, or we don't go.

I think more of a concern will be when DS is older and there is less adult supervision. But again, all the statistics I've read say that child predators are more likely from within you social/family circle - people that already know your child, rather than absolute strangers. I'm working on the predator proofing with DS - no one can touch you, make you feel uncomfortable, no secrets, you can tell Mummy anything etc.

codex57
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Read "Protecting the Gift".

sste
10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Agree with all of you about predators being from within one's social circle. However, I have some control over that - - I can't talk to DS about it as he is only 2 years old but we think carefully about who we leave him with. The preschool/in public I have much less control over. His preschool is in a very urban area within a mile of a public hospital and a halfway house. Most preschools in my city are going to be within a mile of such facilities. I don't think the child predator thing is a top risk - - surely the car ride to preschool is a much higher risk - - but I figured as long as I was getting labels made I may as well be careful about it. And I think I am having some anxiety about this move to preschool/daycare!

Truth to be told, the person most likely to let my DS get separated from jacket/backpack and lose track of him for a minute in public is . . . my absent-minded DH.

codex57
10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
You have to weigh the pros and cons of the full name. Frankly, I think they offset each other. Considering just how low the chances are of a stranger attacking your child, even in an urban area, I think there's more benefit of having the full name (with maybe your cell #) so a kind stranger (including cops) can more easily calm your kid down and contact you.

niccig
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Agree with all of you about predators being from within one's social circle. However, I have some control over that - - I can't talk to DS about it as he is only 2 years old but we think carefully about who we leave him with. The preschool/in public I have much less control over. His preschool is in a very urban area within a mile of a public hospital and a halfway house. Most preschools in my city are going to be within a mile of such facilities. I don't think the child predator thing is a top risk - - surely the car ride to preschool is a much higher risk - - but I figured as long as I was getting labels made I may as well be careful about it.

Truth to be told, the person most likely to let my DS get separated from jacket/backpack and lose track of him for a minute in public is . . . my absent-minded DH.

:yeahthat: for me. DS's school is in an urban area too, so yes there are lots of people around his school. The only one I'm concerned about is DS's backpack, and I'm going to take the label off as everyone knows it's his. DS doesn't walk to school on his own, so there is very little chance anyone would speak to him, without me/teacher/another parent being right there. In fact, he will never walk to from school on his own - too far to walk. If you have a unique last name, last name should be fine for the classroom teachers, but for the larger preschool, the teachers might not know DS's last name. In my experience, only the classroom teachers knew our last name, other teachers knew DS by first name. Even with the labels, I still have to go through the lost and found box.

hillview
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I use last name. It is unique enough and can be for everyone. I don't worry about it for safety. I don't put the boys names on packpacks (on the outside) etc.
/hillary

HIU8
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I do last name only. My sister does first initial and last name b/c there are more than one child at the preschool with DN first and last names.

maestramommy
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I always label the inside tag if there is one, and I just use our last name. But our school is small, and we're the only ones with that last name in the class.

crl
10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I do last name and cell.

Catherine

momtoonegirl
10-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Our school specifically requested everything labeled with first and last name. I would have preferred last name only, but our last name is fairly common, and there is another girl in DD's class with the same last name.