PDA

View Full Version : Think about Santa Barbara too!

elektra
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Just a little unsolicited advice here, so take it or leave it. ;)
Lately I've read so many posts about doing Disneyland and then automatically going down to San Diego to do legoland and zoo/WAP.
Another alternative for folks that are maybe a little over the themepark-type stuff after doing DL is to come up north to Santa Barbara instead!
I just got back from there 2 weeks ago and I realize that I miss it so much. I now live in Orange County, near DL, but I lived in SB for 2 years and it was seriously a 2-year vacation.
The mountains virtually come right up to the beach, there is a great little downtown that is completely walkable, some great eateries, tons of outdoor activities, cool kids playgrounds and parks, (and did I mention the beach?).
Hey Oprah lives there so it must be great right? :)

And by coming north it also gives you the option to check out anything in L.A. that you want to do but not spend a whole few days (like Hollywood or whatever).

SnuggleBuggles
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
We made a stop off in SB on our CA trip down the coast. I didn't really think through our plan for while we were there but I didn't see anything that we needed to do there. It was lovely but I guess I would need some specific ideas. We had 2 guide books but none really gave us a good idea of what we should really see. Happy to hear specific tips! We might be out that way again in the spring.

Of course, it was b/c we stopped in SB that we got stuck in LA rush hour traffic so I have a grudge against it. :) I was 24w pg and really had to eat and pee so I was very grumpy.

Beth

elektra
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I didn't really think through our plan for while we were there but I didn't see anything that we needed to do there.

Beth

Well this is why I mentioned the "if you're a little burned out on themeparks" qualifier.
There aren't a ton of planned type of tours or "must do's" IMO.
Things we have done and enjoyed that are kid friendly:
Art Walk along the beach on Sundays. There is a merry go round across the street too and some parks across from the beach.
Natural History Museum. Very small but still fun.
Santa Barbara Zoo
Relaxing at the Beach
Walking up and down state street
Walking/playing at Elings park- hiking up to the top to have a picnic lunch
Tour of the Santa Barbara Mission

mom2binsd
10-27-2009, 09:30 PM
DH and I loved going up to SB from San Diego, we'd hit the wineries and stroll along State Street, our fav- Esau's Cafe for a huge greasy breakfast!!!