PDA

View Full Version : Cosco Scenera as main seat

OCMom
10-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Does anyone use this as their main (not backup/second grandmom) seat? I am debating btw this or the Radian. I know the Radian is great (already have one for my son), but BB gave this a good rating too?

Jennifer626
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
My SIL uses Sceneras as her main seats for her twin daughters, they are 2 1/2 years old. However, she doesn't work and is a SAHM to 4 kids, so money was severely limited when she was buying them.

The Scenera is a very popular "budget" choice, and highly rec'd for grandma's car and also for air travel. For other budget choices, you can check out the Evenflo Triumph Advance, or the Graco MyRide 65. I went with the Graco after playing with it at BRU, I liked it the best. It still isn't installed in my car, but if I end up not loving it, it will go in Grandma's car and I will start over again : )

arivecchi
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I like it as a back-up/travel seat. What is your budget? We can help you find deals! :D

jjordan
10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
The big down side, to me, is the lack of EPS foam in the scenera. Foam just makes a seat seem a lot safer (even though I know that "they are all safe when used properly").

OCMom
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
There's not really a budget...I was just trying to be practical. My almost 5yo sits in the Radian 65, but he could go into a booster. I would rather him stay in the Radian. My almost 8 yo could also go from his high back booster to a backless and my 5 yo could then take the highback booster. Not really sure what to do, but my daughter's Graco CarGo is falling apart and I need to get something else.

I saw the Cosco Scenera in Target and it looked OK (small). I want something that doesn't take up a lot of space. Maybe I will just get another Radian...

OCMom
10-13-2009, 12:34 AM
The big down side, to me, is the lack of EPS foam in the scenera. Foam just makes a seat seem a lot safer (even though I know that "they are all safe when used properly").

Yes, I know. That is what gets me. However, I am not even sure where the foam is on the models that do have it. Is it on the sides or under?

GraceH
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
There's not really a budget...I was just trying to be practical. My almost 5yo sits in the Radian 65, but he could go into a booster. I would rather him stay in the Radian. My almost 8 yo could also go from his high back booster to a backless and my 5 yo could then take the highback booster. Not really sure what to do, but my daughter's Graco CarGo is falling apart and I need to get something else.

I saw the Cosco Scenera in Target and it looked OK (small). I want something that doesn't take up a lot of space. Maybe I will just get another Radian...

if your DD is FF, I might snag a 'girl' Nautilus on Target clearance... if your kids are FF, I don't see a reason to pay for the convertible feature.

Also, I think the Avenue (@ kMart & Sears) is the ~$80 EPS padded version of the Scenera?

OCMom
10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
They didn't have any (on sale) at the Target I went to on Sat, but I will try another one tomorrow. The Nautilus is pretty big, though...right? I am spoiled by the narrow Radian.

I "need" a girl pattern, BTW. She is FF.

GraceH
10-13-2009, 01:00 AM
They didn't have any (on sale) at the Target I went to on Sat, but I will try another one tomorrow. The Nautilus is pretty big, though...right? I am spoiled by the narrow Radian.

I "need" a girl pattern, BTW. She is FF.

It's $156 online (rumored $110 in some stores?), plus the website has a store locator button that may help you...
http://www.target.com/Graco-Nautilus-3-Car-Seat/dp/B001OB6J9K/ref=br_1_3?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=3579961&node=3579961&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Graco%20Nautilus%203-%20Car%20Seat

OCMom
10-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I saw it the other day and it seemed huge compared to the Radian (it's actually 3 inches wider). I do like the longevity of it though. How does the highback booster work? The CarGo is supposed to be a booster too but I never liked it and ended up getting a Britax Parkway for my oldest son.

Do you take off any portion of it to use as a booster? I guess you can take the back off entirely for the backless booster?

GraceH
10-13-2009, 01:25 AM
I saw it the other day and it seemed huge compared to the Radian (it's actually 3 inches wider). I do like the longevity of it though. How does the highback booster work? The CarGo is supposed to be a booster too but I never liked it and ended up getting a Britax Parkway for my oldest son.

Do you take off any portion of it to use as a booster? I guess you can take the back off entirely for the backless booster?

You take out the harness system to use as a high back booster, but the back comes off later for use as a backless booster. (seat & HBB expire in 6 years, LBB portion expires in 9 years). The booster is supposed to be a decent fit for most kids (it looks to be roughly TurboBooster based to me, but we're a few years out from booster mode yet). It is wider than the radian, but I *think* it's narrower than the Frontier...

ETA: this Walmart link has pics of it in all 3 modes, with & without model children http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8112222&findingMethod=rr

Joolsplus2
10-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Just to touch on a missed question, EPS (or EPP) foam are for head protection, like a bike helmet, on the sides and back behind the head. It goes way low on the Radian because it needs to be next to the head of a newborn, but is only in the headrest portion of highback boosters. It's required in other countries, but not in the US. The only seats that DON'T have it here, though, are the Scenera, Cosco High Back Booster, and Evenflo Big Kid.
I'll also second that recommendation for the Avenue as a pretty narrow/inexpensive seat (or the Uptown, it is at Walmart.com again I think--same seat shell, different names). But the Radian will last years and years longer, so if it's in the budget and you need something narrow, it's a good choice, unless you decide the Nautilus works for you (or Britax Frontier, it's surprisingly svelte next to other seats).
:)

OCMom
10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I now know that what I thought was styrofoam is actually EPS foam. A piece must have broken off in my daughter's Graco CarGo and she has been picking at it somehow (I did call Graco and they will not replace the seat or the foam). It needs to go ASAP and in light of all the info about the Scenera I think I should just get another Radian. I love that Princess print anyhow!

Julie - the Radian should be OK next to the door in an Expedition (in terms of side impact), right?

Joolsplus2
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I have no problems using my old RN 65 (No headwings) next to the door... it's got a very rigid shell and the sides are deeper than they look. If I were buying new, I *might* buy the XT, but, well, I got the 65 for $95 and I've never felt compelled to replace it, lol. Top tethering also helps with side impacts a bit, so be sure to do that, of course.

vonfirmath
10-13-2009, 03:08 PM
My cousin uses it as her main/only seat. Her daughter is 2 and she's looking at getting a Nautilus cause her daughter is outgrowing it.