PDA

View Full Version : Help with highback boosters

pinkmomagain
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
We'll be getting a smaller SUV than we have right now soon. DD3 is currently in a Roundabout, but I'd like to move her to highback booster if possible. She is now 4yo, 40 in, and 34 lbs. I was looking at the Graco Turbobooster and also the Monterey online. Both would seem to fit her specs. If I can afford it, should I go for the Monterey (is it that much better than the Turbobooster)? Does one have a slimmer footprint than the other? Is there another carseat out there that I am overlooking?

TIA!

KrisM
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Does she not fit into the Roundabout anymore? If that's the case, I would get something like a Frontier that can keep her harnessed and then turn into a booster in a couple of years. At her age and size, I would not put her in a booster.

What are the reasons for wanting to move her to a booster so young?

pinkmomagain
10-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I do have to check and see how she is fitting in the Roundabout tomorrow (haven't taken note of shoulder/head height in awhile). I guess ease of getting in and out of the car is what put a booster in my mind, but of course not at the cost of safety. I noticed that with the boosters I mentioned, she did meet the requirements. Not too long ago we bought a Nautilus for our second car, and I absolutely hate getting her in and out of it.

bubbaray
10-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't put a child under 40lbs in a booster unless I had absolutely zero other option.

What SUV are you considering? Some are difficult/impossible to get 3 across (RAV4 comes to mind). ALso, a convertible seat is easier to deal with in a 3-across than a booster.

If you are doing 3 across, I'd go with a RN.

KrisM
10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I do have to check and see how she is fitting in the Roundabout tomorrow (haven't taken note of shoulder/head height in awhile). I guess ease of getting in and out of the car is what put a booster in my mind, but of course not at the cost of safety. I noticed that with the boosters I mentioned, she did meet the requirements. Not too long ago we bought a Nautilus for our second car, and I absolutely hate getting her in and out of it.

Can you practice with her to get herself in and out? My 3 year old climbs in, sits down, and buckles her chest clip herself. About 10% of the time, she gets the crotch buckled, too. My 5.5 year old has been able to fully buckle himself in for about a year now.

pinkmomagain
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks Melissa & Kris. Melissa, sorry I'm clueless, but what's the RN? It looks like we are going into the LexusRX 400h...I've got 2 older girls not in carseats and then my little one. All are pretty slim builds. DD3 currently insists on doing the top clip herself, I do the crotch. With cold weather starting, she is really fussing with wearing a jacket and the straps.

KrisM
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks Melissa & Kris. Melissa, sorry I'm clueless, but what's the RN? It looks like we are going into the LexusRX 400h...I've got 2 older girls not in carseats and then my little one. All are pretty slim builds. DD3 currently insists on doing the top clip herself, I do the crotch. With cold weather starting, she is really fussing with wearing a jacket and the straps.

RN = Sunshine Kids Radian

Joolsplus2
10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I have two older ones and a younger one, about the same ages as yours, and we find that having a harnessed seat in the middle of the SUV offers everyone the most space and comfort. A booster would not be the safest option, despite the labeling, kids' risk of head injury is just a lot higher under age 5 in boosters. The Monterey is extremely wide and rarely fits kids so small safely. Something narrow like the Roundabout 50, Radian, or Safeguard Go should work, the last two are low and easier to climb into. I'd recommend the Parkway SG, but they (Britax) are so adamant about optimal safety that they won't label it for kids smaller than 40 pounds :/.
My 3.5 yo can almost buckle herself completely, having her in the middle makes it easy for me to reach back and hold the adjuster open so it's easier for her to buckle and then I can give the adjuster strap a tightening tug. I can also unbuckle her before we get out.

pinkmomagain
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Julie! I was looking at the Radian65 online and am really liking that alot! I guess the only thing is that down the road when dd gets bigger, it doesnt offer the seatbelt threading as an alternative to the harness...I think my Nautilus does offer that. I'm not sure if that really will be an issue down the road or not.

Joolsplus2
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it won't become a booster...but you can probably resell it (of course you'd never buy a used seat, but some folks do, and if you have a seat in decent condition it's ok to sell it :)) and get a good booster then (so many nifty new ones coming out now, the choices should be truly awesome in another couple years).