PDA

View Full Version : Where to put our seats once baby arrives?

wendibird22
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Having a hard time visualizing where to put the carseats in our cars once the baby arrives so that it is easy to get both kiddo in and out, particularly in the brutal winter ahead.

I drive an Ody. Have an MA in there for DD1 (2yrs) RF. Will be using a Snugride for DD2. Which should I put on the driver side and which on the passenger? I'm assuming no matter what I'm stuck clicking in the baby on one side then walking around to the other side to buckle DD1 in. Also, should I keep the removable middle seat out so that the passenger side captain chair is moved over?

DH has a 2-dr Civic. We will have a Snugride for the baby there too and also have a TF currently RF for DD1. Right now the TF is behind the driver side since in order to help her in it and buckle her you need to sit on the back seat (there's sooooooo little room back there for an adult) and only the passenger side seat slides all the way forward. I'm just not sure that the driver side seat will slide forward enough to squeeze the Snugride back there. But, if you click the Snugride in on the passenger side then there isn't enough room for DD1 to crawl through to the driver side and for DH to buckle her. I'm afraid that our only option will be for DD1 to be FF behind the driver...that way I think DD1 can climb in the seat herself, while DH clicks the baby in on the passenger side and then DH will have enough room on the driver side to squeeze back to buckle her . What do other owners of 2-dr cars do?????

Does this just seem more difficult in my head than it is in reality? I'm just picking us rounding our cars like fools trying to strap our kids in!

KrisM
10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Okay, I have a 4-door car, not a minivan. But, last winter, I had the baby in the middle, and the other 2 swapped sides. I'd open the driver's side door, let one kid get in, walk with the baby and other kid to the passenger side, and snap the baby in and get the other kid in. Walk back to the driver's side and buckle in a kid.

Now, I have the baby on the passenger side and we're often without DS1, who is in the middle. I let DD in the car, walk around and snap the baby in, walk back and buckle DD.

No matter what, I get cold :).

I think if I had a van, I'd put DD on the driver's side and the baby on the passenger side. I'd open the passenger door, let DD climb across and get in and put the baby in. then walk around to get DD in. I guess I like doing the driver's side last because I'm ready to get in then.

HIU8
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I have an Ody and here is what I did. When DD was in the baby bucket I had her behind the driver and DS was RF on the passenger side. I removed the 8th seat and pushed DS's seat toward the center. I did this b/c it was much easier to be able to click DD into the car and go around with DS and get in and out of the cold/bad weather while I was buckling him in.

When I switched DD to a RF MA I switched the carseats around. DD rode RF behind the passenger (pushed towards the center) and DS rode FF behind the driver. I did this for only one reason--There are 3 drivers of my ody. I am the main driver and I'm rather short. DH is taller and pushes the drivers seat back. My father also drives my car with both kids and he is even taller. So, every time someone else drove the car, the RF tether was altered a little and I kept having to readjust it.

Hope this helps a little.

o_mom
10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I have always put the baby behind the driver - just easier to click it in there. Then I can get in to buckle the older one in the center, like Heather said. I also found that many times I can set the baby down next to the van while I buckled the older one in (assuming it isn't horrible out and it is safe, also might be in the stroller anyway) then walk around and snap the baby in. You do end up doing laps, but that's the way it is with multiple kids. Even now I have to walk around to the other side half the time because the older boys can't/won't buckle themselves when they don't feel like it.

bubbaray
10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
It really depends on your garage set up if you park in one. In mine, I can not access the passenger side. So, I load the girls from the driver's side sliding door. I moved DD#1 to passenger side 2nd row captains chair (took out the +8 seat and moved her seat towards the center). She was FFg when DD#2 arrived, though. DD#2 has been on the driver's side 2nd row captains chair since she arrived.

For the Civic, I dunno. I'm having a tough time visualizing that.

jjordan
10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
In the minivan, I would put the snugride behind the driver. Have the 2 year old climb in through that side before you put the snugride into the base, and she can climb into her seat. After the snugride is clicked in you buckle older dd. If it's cold or rainy or otherwise inconvenient to walk around the car, go in through the driver's door and pass through to the back that way. (That is assuming that the console between the driver's and passenger's seats is moved out of the way.)

I have no idea about the Civic. Would it at all work to open the trunk and buckle your older dd in from back there?

Piglet
10-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I find it depends on a typical day for us - for example if you are a SAHM and both kids are home with you it doesn't matter which side which kid goes on. If you are taking DD1 to preschool then I like having older child on the passenger side since there are many trips with just me and the baby while older DC is in school and I hate doing the walk-around-the-car. I also find that with a snap in carseat, it makes less difference where baby is located - I have heaved the Safeseat over the other seat to snap it in many times (I have an 8-seater and baby used to be in the middle). Bottom line for me - if you hate it, reinstall!

The 2-door complicates everything! My first car was a 2-door Dodge Colt (about the size of an OLD Civic). I hated RF-ing with a passion, LOL. There was no way around it and I had to sit next to baby. The only suggestion other than FF (which might be the easiest if it is rarely used and you are comfortable with it given DD's age) is to "sit on the base" while buckling DD1 and then snap in the infant seat. It is not comfortable, but I have done it on a few occasions!

wendibird22
10-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I WOH but will be on maternity leave for a few months so having the baby behind the driver side in the van makes complete sense, as does keeping the 8th seat removed.

The Civic still perplexes me. The 2dr economy car was a great idea back when he traded in his Mustang for my engagement ring!! Who knew we'd still own it 6 yrs and 2 kids later!!!

It isn't a hatch so no way to use the trunk for access. DH already hates having to squeeze into the back to buckle DD1 in RF so I think I'm going to lose the RF battle once DD2 arrives. I think I can buy some time though between my maternity leave (he'll only have DD1 in his car) and the girls going to 2 different sitters for a couple months, so he won't have both girls in the Civic for a while I hope. If I can make it to DD1 turning 3 RF I will be happy.

KrisM
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
If you are taking DD1 to preschool then I like having older child on the passenger side since there are many trips with just me and the baby while older DC is in school and I hate doing the walk-around-the-car.

Okay, what haven't I thought of this? I hate walking around and DD is in preschool 3 half days and DS2 and I get errands done. I think I'll see if it works for me to swap them. Although, in my garage it's easiest to get the infant seat in on the passenger side.