PDA

View Full Version : Which Snap Circuits Set?

hbridge
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
For a 6 year old? I'm thinking the Rover or the delux rover, but is there a better set to start DC with? Also, what's the difference between the Rover and the Deluxe Rover?

Thanks.

brittone2
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
We have a huge set (one that builds 750 projects or whatever) because I got a good deal on it, and we homeschool...so I know we'll use it. And I have two kiddos, so in a few years DD will want to build her own stuff along side DS.

DS has gotten really into robots in general, so we just picked up the rover (I don't think it is the deluxe) and DS put it together mostly on his own. I don't know the difference off the top of my head between the deluxe and regular.

I personally liked starting w/ the more open ended set...more possibilities. DS has built his rover but doesn't want to take it apart, so for us it hasn't been all that open ended ;) The regular set he builds with and then takes things apart to build something new right away.

Percycat
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with brittone2. We have the 300 set (because it is the easiest to expand to the 750 and we didn't think we were ready for the 750) and later received the rover kit. The rover is more of an accessory.

We also bought the student guide for the 300 set. You can find information about it from the snap circuit website. While the kit manuals give you complete directions for assembling various circuits, the student guide companion explains the science/physics behind each of theh projects. My DS(6) gave the kit and the student guide to my father as a birthday present last year. DS loves building the circuits (and now experiments with creating his own circuits). My father uses the student guide to help explain the science behind the circuits. The student guide is probably geared more towards the upper elementary/middle school student, but is a great way to get more out of the kits.

hbridge
10-13-2009, 08:52 PM
So do you like the 300 set? If I decide to do a set, is the 300 enough? I have a very scientific 6yo who loves to experiment. I can't imagine getting more than 300 pieces, but... Thanks for the info on the user guides, that would be a great addition.

brittone2
10-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't have the 300 piece set but I think it would be fine for my 5.5 year old. I just went bigger than that because of homeschooling (I know we'll be using it for years) and because my 2nd child will be into it eventually as well, kwim? And I got a deal, making the 750 more reasonable than it would have been normally.

There are soooo many projects with the 750...I'm sure 300 would have been very entertaining for DS as well.

KrisM
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
So do you like the 300 set? If I decide to do a set, is the 300 enough? I have a very scientific 6yo who loves to experiment. I can't imagine getting more than 300 pieces, but... Thanks for the info on the user guides, that would be a great addition.

There aren't 300 pieces in the 300 set. It's 300 experiements. There are about 60 pieces. The 100 has 30 pieces. The 750 has 80 pieces. http://www.elenco.com/snapcircuits.html

You can browse the manuals at that site, too: http://manuals.elenco.com/

Momof3Labs
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
The snap circuits 100 got DS1 hooked on snap circuits. He asked for snap circuits 500 for Christmas last year and plays with that one exclusively now. DS2 plays around with the 100 set but isn't quite ready to perform his own experiments yet. I definitely agree to go with an open-ended set over the rover to start off!

hellokitty
10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
For those who have bought these in the past, do you have a recommendation to a website that has the best prices? My boys would definitely love this. I bought the robot car yrs ago (haven't broke it out yet, but the pp who mentioned her son doesn't want to take it back apart, sounds like the situation we would run into too) from Garnett hill on clearance for a really good price. However, I'd like to get a regular set that is more open ended with different projects.

daphne
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Bumping...

It says that they're for ages 8+. Would my (almost) 5 yo enjoy these?