PDA

View Full Version : 7 week old sleep habits

stay@home
10-12-2009, 11:36 PM
My 7 week old will only sleep 30 mins during the day... If I am lucky. He isn't always grumpy, he has days when he is and days when he isn't. He sleeps anywhere from 7/10p-4/6am at night, waking up every 2-3 hours.

On his grumpy days, he doesn't sleep at all unless I am holding him or he his in the moby wrap (which, after an hour he wants out).

My hubby seems to think that I should stop doing this and start putting him in his crib to nap...

Being a first time mom, I will admit I am a little slow in picking up on his cues... i.e. being tired... So I am sure that he does get overtired without me realizing it... That makes for interesting evenings... (But, I am learning.)

My question is: Should I advocate the sleep only in your crib? He's only 7 weeks... Would it make a difference?

Kymberley
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
My DS is 11 weeks old, and will not sleep in his crib yet. We had a day like yours on Friday where he only napped for about 20 minutes all day. The next day, he slept most of the day. We co-sleep at night and we get through most of the night peacefully. He's finally gotten to where he will nap in his swing a couple of times most days. Find what works and do that. I had to hold DS constantly for the first 8 weeks it seemed like. Now, he tends to be happy as long as he's in the same room with people even if he's not being held. It's rough, I know. Hang in there!

KarenLud
10-13-2009, 01:53 AM
My DS (6 months) wouldn't really nap in his crib up until a couple weeks ago. He had been sleeping at night there but naps were a no go. He also did the cat napping that you describe. seriously. It took me longer to get him down than he actually slept! He usually napped in his crib. Do you have a swing or bouncy seat he can nap in? Also, I couldn't really tell the tired signs so much either so I followed the 2 hour rule. I tried to put him down after being awake for no more than 2 hours. I read it in a book..not sure which book (I was sleep deprived :hysterical:) It seemed to work pretty well. GL!