PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party at 1 p.m. Do you expect lunch?

WitMom
10-13-2009, 06:38 AM
The title pretty much says it all. We are planning my DDs birthday party at Build-A-Bear at 1 p.m. I am not planning on providing lunch, but will do cake (actually probably a birthday cookie) afterwards. Is this okay, or would lunch be expected?

egoldber
10-13-2009, 06:46 AM
I wouldn't, but I think it is always a good idea to make it clear on the invite what type of food is expected. Something like "join us for cake" or "snacks and cake" or "lunch and cake", etc.

KrisM
10-13-2009, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't, but I think it is always a good idea to make it clear on the invite what type of food is expected. Something like "join us for cake" or "snacks and cake" or "lunch and cake", etc.

:yeahthat:

I'd come already having eaten, but I do like it when I know for sure.

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2009, 07:18 AM
If you make it clear on the invite that lunch will not be served then you are fine. I wouldn't expect it but whenever I have guessed in the past based on time of party I have been wrong 50% of the time. I wish everyone would simply add a line about what food we should expect so plans can be made.

Beth

Melaine
10-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I wouldn't expect it at that time, but I like the idea of mentioning snacks or cake.

Corie
10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't expect it at all. Not at 1pm.

amandabea
10-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Nope, I wouldn't expect lunch at 1pm. That is clearly after lunch to me, but I agree w/ Beth and the other Pps - specify on the invitation so no one is expecting something different/more.

g-mama
10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Definitely specify b/c whenever we're invited to parties at that time, it's difficult to get the kids dressed, gift ready, car loaded and drive to the destination all during the time we'd normally be eating lunch. I'd want to be sure b/c I'd have to feed them lunch at 11 or 11:30.

neeter
10-13-2009, 08:08 AM
it wouldn't be absolutely clear to me, and as the invitee i would (and have, in the past) asked just to make sure!

lablover
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I would not expect lunch, but to be safe I would put something like "Cake will be served" on the invite.

hillview
10-13-2009, 08:28 AM
It would be clear to me. My kids eat at noon most of the time. 1 pm for kids I'd be sure there was no lunch. For adults it would not be clear.
/hillary

mariza
10-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I would definately put something on the invite like pp's suggested. In my social circles, party=food so it would not dawn on me that lunch may not be served.

Jen841
10-13-2009, 09:52 AM
We just attended a 1:15pm party. I had J all fed, then they served pizza at the top of the party. He told them 'I already had lunch'. Opps!

Octobermommy
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Definitely not at 1 p.m. If it was between anytime between 11:30 and 12:30 I would expect lunch.

We just had a party and I put on the invites, "pizza and cupcakes" so guests would know we had lunch. I would put "cake and punch" or whatever y'all are having so there is no confusion.

pinkmomagain
10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Every party we go to (including 1p, 2p, 3p, and 11a) automatically involves pizza & cake. So I think it's a great idea to give guests a heads-up as to what is being served so that they can plan accordingly.

JustMe
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I think its definitely important to put something on the invitation. I seem to be in the minority here, but while I would assume no lunch at 2 (which is why I do dd's parties at 2 whenever possible!), I would not assume the same for 1. Not that I would have a problem with it, but I do think its important to write something on the invitation.

jenny
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
i just went to a 4-year-old's birthday part at 2 p.m. and they had pizza and cake.

vonfirmath
10-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I went to a friend's 1st birthday party at 3:30p and was surprised when they expected us to order lunch! At 3:30p we'd already eaten.

WitMom
10-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at the wide range of times when people are serving meals at birthday parties. To be safe, as you all suggested, I will be sure to include on the invitation what will be served at the party. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

kransden
10-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I now always put on the invites what we're having. It just makes things easier.

g-mama
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I think there are people (well, I know, because dh is one of them) who do not feel right hosting a party and not providing a meal. No matter what time we have a kids b'day party, he insists we provide a meal for both kids and parents. I don't necessarily agree, but I've learned to just roll with it because it's important to him.

Perhaps that's the reason that people may offer and/or expect a meal regardless of the time.

deannanb
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
we are having a party in a week at 1 and will not be serving lunch -

you could put on the invitation "cake will be served"

JTsMom
10-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't expect lunch, but I like the idea of putting something like "Cake will be served." on the invite.

babybunny
10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
The party for DS (he'll be 5!) will be at 2 pm. I put "Pizza and cake" on the invite. He expects pizza and cake. That's a party for him. We will probably cut a pie into 16 slices as they do in school. So that is really a "snack".

We just went to my nephew's party -- at 1pm - but pizza was served at 2 pm. We were hungry because we had left church on Sunday at 11:30 , rushed home to pick up the present, had to travel an hour to get to the party, etc. We were very glad to have lunch there. We have been warned in passing that fhe party place my SIL is considering for the next party for the sibling does not "allow" food for the adults (WTH???) because there isn't enough room. I wonder how she will handle that on the invite --- pizza if you are 6 and under??? I am grumpy when I am hungry. I will be prepared in advance.