PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical question....

HIU8
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Ok, I'm a worrier (no surprise there, I know). Right now DH only has one carseat in his car and we are switching it out to a GO that we have used for travel. This is so either DS or DD can go with him. He never takes them to preschool or picks up. He may take one out with him on the weekends. If both go he takes my car. So here is my what if....

What if we had some major attack and DH was the one who could get to the kids first (we live right outside of DC and my kids go to a preschool in a JCC that has massive security for obvious reasons. DH happens to be closer to them at work than I am at home). Anyway, DH really does not want a second carseat always installed in his car. He often travels to Baltimore and takes coworkers with him. In an emergency he could put DD in the GO and then have something else that lives in his trunk for DS. In a an emergency where he would have to probably move fast-would you put a just turned 5 yr old in a hbb? DS will be 5 the day after Thanksgiving and is currently 42" and 40 lbs. I'm figuring it's much easier to stick the hbb in the car rather than take time to install another carseat. This would not be used on any kind of a regular basis as I really feel DS needs to stay harnessed for awhile yet. and yes, I worry daily that someone tries to bomb the place and there is mass chaos (can't help it--the worrying).

OCMom
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I have a son born the same day and just about the same measurements (42" or 43" and 36 lbs). I still have himin a 5pt, but very rarely let him go in a HBB for trips around the neighborhood (soccer, school...2 miles or less and 25-35 mph). I would keep a booster in your husband's car should the unexpected happen.

o_mom
10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes - I would put him in a booster. Get a Turbobooster - it can be taken apart to lay flat and fits smaller kids well. Only $40 at Walmart, so not too much for an emergency item. When you are ready for an everyday booster, though, I would look at some of the other options.

elektra
10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
First off, I am all about car seat safety. My 2.5 yo is still RF and I am loving the idea of a new Radian for either DD or DS to RF up to the 45 pounds. I am also a total worrier and my DH tells me that if I am not worrying about one thing, I think up something else to worry about. That being said, if there is a major attack with bombings and such, and your DH has to get the kids, there will probably be more to worry about than a short drive in a booster, KWIM? SO I would say just have a booster on hand for that emergency situation.

AnnieW625
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I would get another Go, or a Graco Turbo Booster that collapses easy to leave in the trunk of the car.