PDA

View Full Version : The MOST depressing thing ever...

Corie
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Trying on blue jeans.

Thank goodness the kids weren't with me. That would have sent
me over the edge.

mommylamb
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I find bathing suits and formal dresses even worse.

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought you were going to say "what the scale said." That was my moment today. I haven't weighed myself in a long time because I was going with how clothes fit. they have been fitting ok and jean shopping was fine last week but that number hurt. It was my worst case scenario confirmed. Sad and depressed right now. I went right to the gym afterwards. :)

Beth

MamaMolly
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I had to chuckle. It took me 2 weeks and hundreds of pairs of jeans (not exaggerating) to find what fit my body. Don't let the numbers on the size tags or price tags bother you. If they fit, buy them. At least 2 pairs. And you can always have alterations done.

Still, they should have jello shots in the dressing rooms...

wellyes
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the key is to start with ones that are too big, not ones that are the size you think (hope) you are LOL.

lizzywednesday
10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
OMG, yes! It's especially depressing if you go to ON.

I haven't been able to wear my (plus-sized) jeans for 4 months ... and, while this isn't your issue I am sure, I just wanted to add that apparently, nobody makes maternity jeans for tall, plus-sized women. (Sure, I COULD wear pants with a 32" inseam, but they hike up 4" when I sit down, so that would then mean I'd have to shave ... and that defeats the purpose of wearing pants, doesn't it?)

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I had to chuckle. It took me 2 weeks and hundreds of pairs of jeans (not exaggerating) to find what fit my body. Don't let the numbers on the size tags or price tags bother you. If they fit, buy them. At least 2 pairs. And you can always have alterations done.

Yeah, I refused to worry about the number on the tags. I wound up buying the same Levis that I bought last year in the same size so I must not have really changed much size wise.

lizzywednesday
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I find bathing suits and formal dresses even worse.

I am terrified of both ... my brother is getting married this January, I'll be 7mos pregnant, and the day before I have a morning-long "bring the outdoors indoors" event at my college that usually means I schmooze with other alums at the swimming pool.

I strongly suspect that my racing suit won't fit.

wencit
10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I feel you, Corie. It's raining today for the first time this season, so I had to pull out some jeans. MATERNITY jeans. And DS2 is 12 weeks old today.

Sigh.

maestramommy
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I hate buying pants. With the heat of a thousand suns. :hug:

marie
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I went right to the gym afterwards. :)

Better than going for the Ben & Jerry's - which is where I head. . . :hysterical:

Corie - I feel your pain. I have stopped wearing jeans for now because I can't bring myself to shop for them.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

elektra
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Ugh. What is with the lighting in some of these dressing rooms too??? Yah, I REALLY want the light reflecting off my thighs to accentuate every single cellulite dimple.
I agree with the alcohol serving suggestion too- maybe that's cheaper than fixing the lights?
Hope you found an awesome pair that makes your butt look small. :)

AnnieW625
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Clothing is very depressing subject with me right now too. I am 10 weeks pregnant and since and since this is pregnancy #3 and we are being uber cautious because of the loss of the last one I am praying that I don't have to pull out the maternity clothes for another couple of weeks as I haven't told my work yet, and really don't want to until we know we out of that we are in the clear (nuchal fold test and blood work done in two more week!). So my pants are getting a little tight, and two sweaters have tiny moth holes in them and the weather has just started getting colder but I really don't want to pull out the maternity sweaters yet because those will be a dead giveaway!

I feel your pain when it comes to jeans. I went from having three or four go to pairs of Lucky Brand styles to having zero styles of jeans from them and I love the quality of Lucky. I try not to let the size bother me either, but it does, and so does the weight, but the longer it takes you to lose the weight the longer it will stay off. Last year when I first found out I was pregnant with #2 I went to Wal Mart and found their Jordache jeans to be really comfy (no they don't have giant horses on the tags anymore:)). They are great for knock arounds and almost look as dressy as my Sevens, and Citizens.

wellyes
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Hope you found an awesome pair that makes your butt look small. :)

Or big, if you so prefer :)

nobody makes maternity jeans for tall, plus-sized women

Dude, I know! I'm short, actually, but I have the same problem. Well I guess I could get them hemmed..... but jeans are not for hemming. Plus someone PLEASE tell Old Navy that low rise + maternity is just not a good idea.

Corie
10-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't let the numbers on the size tags or price tags bother you. If they fit, buy them. At least 2 pairs. And you can always have alterations done.

I try not to let the numbers on the size tags bother me. I really try. But I have
gained 20 pounds since moving to Rhode Island.

I have to try on the "Curvy" cut. My rear end is huge. This is where I always
gain my weight. Even when I was a size 4, my rear has always been a bubble.
My waist is small so the jeans completely gap open at the waist exposing my
maternity underwear.

Now, here's the kicker. The "Curvy" cut comes in a low-rise at most stores.
Really??? Are you seriously kidding me? A low-rise Curvy cut gives me even
LESS material to cover my a$$. A low-rise Curvy cut covers about half of
my booty.

Where is the "Up to my Armpits" Curvy cut?

jse107
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Amen sisters!

I think trying on jeans is even worse for me than swimsuits. And, since I haven't lost the last 15lbs from being PG with E almost 2 years ago, NOTHING I try seems to fit.

I could almost cry sometimes. Shots in the dressing room would be helpful.

AnnieW625
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Dude, I know! I'm short, actually, but I have the same problem. Well I guess I could get them hemmed..... but jeans are not for hemming. Plus someone PLEASE tell Old Navy that low rise + maternity is just not a good idea.

I haven't been able to find a pair of jeans at ON since before I was pregnant with DD in 2005. I was 20lbs or so lighter than I am now when I got prego with DD and even then a classic 8/10 with a med. small butt couldn't do ON maternity jeans. My faves from DD were from Japanese Weekend so I'll be going back there again to splurge on my jeans for this pregnancy. So worth it. I did find some nice ones at Gap for maternity with #2, but haven't found non prego gap jeans that have fit in many moons.

bigpassport
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I made through last winter with one pair of jeans. Lots of yoga-type pants, fleece sweats, etc. I wouldn't say I've totally given up on my appearance, but gosh it comes close. My husband loves me...that's what matters. I just hope Stacy London never sees me.

lizzywednesday
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM

New York and Company.

Inseam lengths in tall, regular and petite; all stocked IN STORE (!) [G-d forbid ON should stock tall sizes in-store ... ]

They had a "curvy" cut that sits at-waist and comes in dark washes.

I can't find it on their site, but you might be able to find it in-store. Unless they overhauled all their denim, in which case we are both SOL.

lizzywednesday
10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I made through last winter with one pair of jeans. Lots of yoga-type pants, fleece sweats, etc. I wouldn't say I've totally given up on my appearance, but gosh it comes close. My husband loves me...that's what matters. I just hope Stacy London never sees me.

I wear fold-top yoga pants all the time right now (only thing with a tall inseam and flexible belly that I could find that also fits my butt & thighs) but I am exactly the opposite on the hoping Stacy never sees me thing.

I would kill to have a Stacy-and-Clinton makeover because then all of my "don'ts" would go to the trash bin and I'd have something to wear.

So what if I'd be in snotty tears on national TV? I'd look good at the end!!!

(Better still, get Trinny and Susannah from the UK version on my case. They're proportioned differently from Stacy, so at least they understand some of my dilemma!!)

marie
10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
they're not denim, but they are high-waisted and, if I recall correctly, right up your alley Corie. . . ;)

http://www.americanapparel.com/rsaah300.html?cid=153

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

lizzywednesday
10-13-2009, 03:07 PM

When every style has a slight flare to the bottom of the leg, I totally agree.

Whatever happened to straight-leg jeans? Who decided that flares work for everyone????

jse107
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I just hope Stacy London never sees me.

If she found me and had that $5000 Visa, I'd be ALL OVER IT.

g-mama
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
A word of caution on wearing elastic waist pants (like yoga pants): I wore these A LOT for the past two winters and I swear, they are the reason I am 15 lbs overweight. If I feel "too" comfortable, I start to think "Okay,I'm doing alright!" and overeat. If I'm wearing fitted jeans or pants, I will think twice about stuffing myself. Seriously. I have sworn off elastic waist pants and am doing WW now.

Even Clinton Kelly said, "Elastic waist pants are evil!"

jent
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Try Land's End and Eddie Bauer too.

jse107
10-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes--I like the LE ones too.

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
A word of caution on wearing elastic waist pants (like yoga pants): I wore these A LOT for the past two winters and I swear, they are the reason I am 15 lbs overweight. If I feel "too" comfortable, I start to think "Okay,I'm doing alright!" and overeat. If I'm wearing fitted jeans or pants, I will think twice about stuffing myself. Seriously. I have sworn off elastic waist pants and am doing WW now.

I wear real pants all the time but immediately change when I get home. I am thinking about staying in my jeans full time for that reason though. I don't overeat but I would think harder about choices probably if I wanted to be super comfy!

Beth

Corie
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
New York and Company.

Inseam lengths in tall, regular and petite; all stocked IN STORE (!) [G-d forbid ON should stock tall sizes in-store ... ]

They had a "curvy" cut that sits at-waist and comes in dark washes.

I can't find it on their site, but you might be able to find it in-store. Unless they overhauled all their denim, in which case we are both SOL.

I tried them on today. Their curvy cut is mid-rise. Still not enough
material in the booty region for my comfort level. I really don't want to bend
over and show off 3 feet of underwear.

cono0507
10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I hate buying pants. With the heat of a thousand suns. :hug:

I completely agree.

melrose7
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
DH doesn't understand how I can spend hours and hours at many different stores just looking for jeans and come home with nothing and am depressed. He will buy the same kind of jeans without trying on and not worry about it. It drives me crazy!!! I hate jean shopping more than anything else. My issue is that my problem area is my tummy but my butt and waist are small so anything that fits my tummy is way to big everywhere else. But if I get them to fit my waist I get the muffin top and I hate looking like that.

Pennylane
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Have you tried Lee Jeans? Kohls carries them and they have tons of fits! They also carry Levi's which I still love.

Ann

cuca_
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Corie,

Have you tried Not My Daughter's Jeans? They can be pricey, but I you can find them at Nordstrom's Rack much cheaper. I bought a couple of pairs after reading about them here and they are great!

HTH

conniez
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I feel ya! That's how I feel when I wear my jeans and my muffin top kinds of sits above the waist. Sad thing is I lost almost all the weight from BF'ing, but gained a bit back. I can't help it...I just like dessert too much to give it up. :bag

crl
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Jeans and bathing suits are a tie for me.

Catherine

crl
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I try not to let the numbers on the size tags bother me. I really try. But I have
gained 20 pounds since moving to Rhode Island.

I have to try on the "Curvy" cut. My rear end is huge. This is where I always
gain my weight. Even when I was a size 4, my rear has always been a bubble.
My waist is small so the jeans completely gap open at the waist exposing my
maternity underwear.

Now, here's the kicker. The "Curvy" cut comes in a low-rise at most stores.
Really??? Are you seriously kidding me? A low-rise Curvy cut gives me even
LESS material to cover my a$$. A low-rise Curvy cut covers about half of
my booty.

You might try Eddie Bauer's curvy cut. They work for me.

Catherine

frgsnlzrds
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
This is why the kids have a closet stuffed full of clothes and I bought two new shirts for myself in the past six months. I HATE trying on clothes!

sidmand
10-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Corie,

Have you tried Not My Daughter's Jeans? They can be pricey, but I you can find them at Nordstrom's Rack much cheaper. I bought a couple of pairs after reading about them here and they are great!

HTH

I really like these. I only have one pair so far but I got them at 50% off at Nordstrom's online and then when I found a size that fits I've been checking out eBay.

They come up pretty high but don't look like "old lady" jeans and I can wear normal underwear with them!

ThreeofUs
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
they should have jello shots in the dressing rooms...

:yeahthat:

I dare not even go yet.

:bag

elizabethkott
10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm starting to seriously consider full-body-lipo just so I can have better jeans-esteem.
Seriously.
Things squish and rub in places not meant to squish and rub.
And as for muffin top - honey, I got the full muffin trying to pour itself out the top of my pants.
Sigh.

let73
10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I bought these from ATL and really like them. They are the curvy boot cut fit:
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=20834&N=1200009&pCategoryId=3359&categoryId=208&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_208&loc=TN&defaultColor=Favorite%20Medium%20Wash&defaultSizeType=Regular

DrSally
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
This is why the kids have a closet stuffed full of clothes and I bought two new shirts for myself in the past six months. I HATE trying on clothes!

:yeahthat:

Although last time I was trying on a bunch of stuff at TJMax (b/c I had nothing to wear for summer clothes), DS looked in the mirror and exclaimed, "You look just like a princess!" Made me hug and kiss him :)

MontrealMum
10-13-2009, 11:08 PM

This is the best idea ever!!! :jammin:

Corie, seriously, try NYDJ. They are truly high waisted and have enough stretch that you can come somewhat close to having a pair fit both hips and waist w/o too much Gap sans alterations. They're also quite long. They sometimes have them at The Rack, but I've gotten all mine at Nordstrom's online on sale. Even my MIL has a pair now (hers are velvet cords) and they make her look rather stylish, which is somewhat of a miracle ;)

rlu
10-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Don't let the numbers on the size tags or price tags bother you. If they fit, buy them.

I'd be fine with chocolate.

I look for jeans at Goodwill, that way if the size I think should fit doesn't, it just means the previous owner shrunk them too much.

kozachka
10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
I used to HATE shopping for jeans. I'd try 10 pairs or more and not like any. And than I discovered Lucky Jeans Classic and Easy Rider jeans :bowdown:. Now I think the most depressing thing ever is trying your old bras. They either are too small (since I need to lose some weight) or too big (since gravity and BF took its toll).

Corie
10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Now I think the most depressing thing ever is trying your old bras. They either are too small (since I need to lose some weight) or too big (since gravity and BF took its toll).

A few months back, I finally broke down and went to Nordstroms to try
on bras. I found a fabulous bra and I bought 4 of the same style.

So, at least my boobs look great now. :)

Corie
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
My dream pair of jeans would be a mid-rise in the front and
a high-rise in the back.

(Since my booty is so large, it wouldn't even look like it was
a high-rise jean in the back. My booty would take up the extra
material and it would look even with the front.)

elektra
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
a high-rise in the back.

It's been about 6 years so who knows what the cuts are like today but my Lucky jeans were just like this. The front was low and the back had higher coverage than most other low-rise jeans I tried or had.

DrSally
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
a high-rise in the back.

Aren't there a couple companies that make "no gap" waistband jeans. I imagine they'd be higher in the back. I can't think of who does this now though.

DrSally
10-14-2009, 12:48 PM
A few months back, I finally broke down and went to Nordstroms to try
on bras. I found a fabulous bra and I bought 4 of the same style.

So, at least my boobs look great now. :)

I've been nursing for almost 4 years now. I never thought I'd go through several cycles of nursing bras, but at a certain point they are just shot. They are not all that supportive though b/c of the lack of underwire. Once I'm done, I really think I should get fitted since I have no idea what size I am. I had to get rid of all my pretty, pretty bras from back when I cared and bought nice lingere. I'm just never going to be a 34 B again unless I lose 40 lbs. Anyway, is Nordstrom a good place to get fitted?

rlu
10-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Anyway, is Nordstrom a good place to get fitted?

Depends who is working there. The 20-something clerk probably not optimal. The grandma clerk, better chance.

lizzywednesday
10-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Oh, I understand and I do agree to a certain extent, but, right now with an expanding "baby bump" it's really hard to find pants that fit!

On the other hand, I'm trying to be careful about my caloric intake right now anyway. I shoot for 2300 calories per day (my usual 2000 calories plus 300 for Baby) and have found I am more conscious of making better food choices. For example, rather than finding a couple of cookies, I'll have a sliced apple for a snack after work ... with a large glass of water ... to hold me until the DH gets home at 6.

kozachka
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
It's been about 6 years so who knows what the cuts are like today but my Lucky jeans were just like this. The front was low and the back had higher coverage than most other low-rise jeans I tried or had.

Lucky Jeans ARE higher in the back but not all the cuts are the same so take your time in the dressing room and be sure to try Classic and Easy Rider styles. The first time I went to Lucky Jeans store to try jeans on, I was so disappointed. I could not get why everybody is raving about them and I can't find a pair that fit. It was because I was trying the wrong styles, sizes and did not have enough time. I gave it another chance and I could not be happier. Once you know what size and style works for you, check Marshall['s and TJ Maxx. I got my last pair from Marshall's for $35 plus tax. If you have to shop in the Lucky Jeans store, be sure to sign up for their e-mails. They have regular 50% off sales.

I hear you on the bras. I love La Perla smooth bras, they are the best, I swear. I stocked up on them at RueLaLa and that crazy Saks sale for about $35. However, as I was unpacking our stuff that was in storage for over 3 years, I came across my nursing bras and lacy lingerie, most still with tags (came across Lise Charmel stuff at great prices at TJ Maxx). I am not that far off - one cup size so I am going to keep them for motivation. Otherwise they are going to eBay. Of course, some won't work simply because I need more support after being pregnant and nursing DS for 26 months. Bravado went into trash. It looked so stretched and stained (even though I washed it before storing) there is no way anybody will be using it again.

I got measured at Nordstrom and even bought one bra there but I still prefer to shop online. I can get much better quality bras for much less than what I would pay at department stores.