PDA

View Full Version : Radian 80 vs 80SL vs XTSL

happyturtles
10-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I have a Radian 80 RF for my 16mo DD who's 20.4lbs and 29in. I need to get a second car seat for DH's car and can't decide which Radian to get. DD2 is due in two weeks and will have her Keyfit to use first.

I love my RA80 and have no problems with it. I place the body insert as the head rest for DD and she's comfortable with that and sleeps with no problems.

On that note, should I definitely get one of the SL versions with the higher RF wgt and superlatch? I don't know the DOM on my current RA80 but bought it in June 09 from a B&M retailer. Didn't Sunshine Kids say that some of their seats were retroactive in the increrased weight limit? if so, then is my only advantage in the 80SL the superlatch?

I never tried the XT version, how much better is the adjustable headrest? or is it more in the way when the kids get older? And is the deeper sides significant or minimal?

I do love the 'Flora" pattern of the XTSL but not enough to get that model based on pattern only. Also, my RA80 is in Monaco, the tan velour(?) material, which I do like. Is the super cool, mesh like material better?

Sorry for long post. But thanks for any help.

jjordan
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Radians are confusing right now because there are three different RF weight limits.

Radians manufactured before 9/08 RF to 35#.

Radians manufactured from 9/08 to 8/09 and Radian 65SL's RF to 40#.

Radian 80SL and XTSL RF to 45#.

I'm guessing that you have a seat that RF to 40#. That will get a lot of kids (and probably at least your older dd if she continues on her current growth track) to at least age 4, which is great. I wouldn't be too concerned with getting one of the SL seats that RF's to 45# in your case.

So for you, the only advantage to a brand new seat would be the superlatch. I don't know how much of an advantage that is for you personally (I don't actually have LATCH in my cars so it is little advantage to me!).

I don't have any experience with the XT but I do like the *idea* of the wings. :) Also I'm no help on the fabrics as we have manhattan (I think that's the one anyway!).

arivecchi
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
I ordered an 80 SL in Sport and am returning it because I want the headwings and did not like the mesh material. I am waiting for an XT SL in Bentley, which is very similar to the Monaco.

mommylamb
10-13-2009, 03:35 PM
What is superlatch?

jjordan
10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
What is superlatch?

Here is a link (http://carseatblog.com/?p=4146) that explains it pretty well.

o_mom
10-13-2009, 03:54 PM
If your current seat was made after 9/08, then it has a 40 lb rear-facing limit. The 80SL and XTSL would add 5 lbs to that for a 45 lb RF limit. It sounds like your DD1 is a peanut and the seat you have, as well as just a regular 65 or 80, would get you at least to age 3-4 rear-facing.

The SL part is SuperLATCH and really is only applicable if your vehicle was manufactured after Sept 1, 2005. If it was made before that, then you have to follow the vehicle limits on LATCH (usually 40 or 48 lbs). Even if it was made after that date, if you have a vehicle with at least a 48 lb limit, you will most likely not ever use the SL feature since your DD is small. Likely she will outgrow the seat on height before 48 lbs.

Personally, in your situation, I would find a clearanced 80 or XT (or even 65 and buy a Comfy Soft pillow to use with it) as you most likely will never use the features of the SL models.

arivecchi
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Extsing Radians on sale at diapers.com:

http://www.diapers.com/Product/SearchResults.aspx?FreeText=radian&QueryFrom=Search

There are extra 10% discount codes.

mommylamb
10-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Here is a link (http://carseatblog.com/?p=4146) that explains it pretty well.

Thanks! This really helps.

GracieCat
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I ordered an 80 SL in Sport and am returning it because I want the headwings and did not like the mesh material. I am waiting for an XT SL in Bentley, which is very similar to the Monaco.

Can you give me more info on the velour vs. the mesh and why you didn't like the mesh? Any experience with the jacquard?

arivecchi
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Can you give me more info on the velour vs. the mesh and why you didn't like the mesh? Any experience with the jacquard? I just didn't like the look or feel of the mesh. We live in a cold climate, so the velour works best anyway.

happyturtles
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies..

I like the velour material of my monaco too. I read that the mesh from the supercool color gets scratched up alot with velcro strapped shoes and looks all torn up.

I'm gonna look for another RA80 now.