PDA

View Full Version : How late in afternoon to let infant sleep?

GracieCat
10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
As a first time mom, I'm still learning how to do this parenting stuff as well as how to read my DS (almost 6w). His feeding/nap schedule is all over the board. He does go to bed at the same time each night-7:30 and usually asleep by 8. How late should I let him sleep in the afternoon and should we let him cat nap around dinnertime? He'll either sleep til 2am or 12:30, but I don't see a particular trend that will tell us which it will be! Any advice from you experienced parents?

SnuggleBuggles
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
At 6w it is all about just rolling with their schedule. A dinner time nap was very normal for my boys- and very welcome because we could cook and eat in peace. :) For a few more months I would just let him set the schedule. If things really become difficult then experiment with trying to keep him up during dinner time or rouse him earlier. But, the average 6w old is just going to sleep when their body needs them to sleep and you just go along for the ride. Things become more consistent in the 4-6m range,ime.

Beth

ahrimie
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I think anything during the first 4 months is fine. They're still figuring things out and so are you. If they sleep, let them. Sleep is the most important thing they need to grow (and food, of course).

FWIW, we STILL do a late afternoon/early evening nap. DD can still go to sleep at night at a reasonable hour so I haven't taken it away. More than times and schedules, I let DD guide when her naps should be. As a rule of thumb, it's usually 3 hrs after her wake up time.

For that young of an age though, he probably can't stay up as long. I remember doing only 45 min and starting to soothe to sleep by then.